Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MORE OF YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED


Questions from Rayna M (who went to her first Diana Ross concert this past May):

I read an article that your sister, Rhonda, wrote about how she overcame her issues with low self-esteem. While reading your blog, I saw that you at one time were shy and "not comfortable in your own skin." So question for you is will any of your children's books deal with self-esteem and learning to accept each other's differences?

Yes, I do try to have a positive message in the books I write. In my middle reader series (which I have been re-writing forever) my main character, Bean, dances to the beat of her own drum. At this age range, they don’t want preach-y lessons, but I think it is still important to have a positive underlying message. My main goal in writing has always been to spread the word that anything is possible if you believe in yourself and that our beauty comes from our differences. Personally, it took me a long time to understand this, which is why I think it is an important part of my writing today.

Also, I am from the D.C. area and I wanted to know what your experience was like teaching in inner city D.C.? I'm asking because I attended elementary school in Southeast D.C. and I feel that a lot of times those schools get a bad rap. My experience attending school in inner city D.C. was a good one, and when I transferred to another school, I was academically ahead of my classmates.

When I graduated from college, I did a program called Teach For America. TFA is an awesome Americorp program that takes recent college graduates, gives them a summer of training, then places them in the neediest schools in our nation. We also work towards our teaching credentials while taking night classes. I have to admit that I had a rough year, but I don’t want that to shed a bad light on all public schools in DC. Remember, I was a passionate, yet naïve 21 year old fresh out of college. I had great ideas and a lot of love, but no experience and even less support from the administration at the school. I had hoped to teach first grade, but was placed as a fifth grade teacher and the other staff being excited to have a new teacher placed all the troubled kid’s in my room. I struggled from day one with discipline, which made it impossible to teach and the principal’s only response (and support) was to “be meaner.” That being said, I taught some amazing kids, some of whom I still keep in touch with all these years later. DC holds a special place in my heart and I can totally see how you had a positive school experience is such an amazing city.

Questions from Terry Wilson from Seattle:

I've heard three of your siblings sing (Rhonda, Tracee, and Evan). Can you sing also?

Hmm… I definitely can carry a tune, but I will not be putting out an album anytime soon. Lol! I prefer some karaoke now and then (My songs of choice: I Will Survive, Last Time I Saw Him and Let’s Hear It For The Boy) and singing in my car or in the shower.

You've evolved into a fashionista. Have you ever considered donating an entire section of your website devoted to dress and beauty tips?

I have thought about doing some fashion and beauty tips on my website. I love fashion and what fun that would be, however at this time I am so busy starting a business (info coming soon) and trying to keep up with my writing, so I’m not sure I could dedicate the effort that would be needed to make it successful. Thanks for the idea though, I will keep it in mind!

Question from Becca Reed:

Did your mom ever get really angry at you when you were a child and what did you do that got you into trouble? Be very carefully because you don't want to give anyone any ideas, ha!

It may sound like a boring answer, but I never really got in any BIG trouble as a kid. I was a pretty good girl (still am today :). I was always a rule follower who wanted to make everyone happy. That being said, you do NOT want to get my mom angry. She wasn’t a big yeller, but you could see the anger in her eyes. She would look like she could eat your whole and no one liked to have that look focused on them.

Thanks everyone for the great questions! A couple more coming soon!

8 comments:

Freddie said...

Your mom sounds like my mom. You get... THE LOOK! You'd better get out of the way and fast! No spankings because THE LOOK had a punishment of it's own! LOL!

Beauty and fashion tips would be very cool. My hair is so dry and in need of a good conditioner. I'd love some tips.

My sister is a teacher and has taught various grades, but now has a class of 24 five year olds. Yikes! She glows when she talks about her job. A very special vocation.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark said...

Hey Chudney,

You did a great job with this week's questions! As always, you are very inspirational, open, and honest. You are truly a positive role model for so many people! Thanks for sharing your fabulous responses with us! I am looking forward to reading more questions and answers soon. I am so glad that this project was a success for you! I know your readers have been enjoying the profiles and questions/answers! I hope more people will submit their profiles in the future. It is so much fun getting to know everyone. I am pretty sure that a few more will come in soon.

Hope you have a fabulous 4th of July weekend!!!!!!!! Can you believe it is this time of year already?? Where does the time go??

Thanks again for all that you do with this blog!! I know that you are very busy, and I appreciate all of the time and work that you put into this site!

As always, I send my best wishes to you and your family!

Respectfully,

Mark :)

becca said...

Lol! Your mom sounds like mine. She had "the look" too. I was pretty good myself--got in trouble for talking too much but that was about it. I was terrified I wouldn't get into med school if I messed up plus I was an only child! Talk about pressure!

I love reading your blog. Enjoy your holiday--I am enjoying some r&r back "home" in pa.

becca said...

Lol! Your mom sounds like mine. She had "the look" too. I was pretty good myself--got in trouble for talking too much but that was about it. I was terrified I wouldn't get into med school if I messed up plus I was an only child! Talk about pressure!

I love reading your blog. Enjoy your holiday--I am enjoying some r&r back "home" in pa.

Anonymous said...

I know some people which have scary look when they get angry, it was fun to read your answers.

Anyway happy 4th July to you and all the people who are reading your mail, I was in LA 2000 and on 4th July it was fun.

Bye Kristin

amera said...

Dear Chudney;

Enjoyed reading all the profiles...
like reading a friends letter...
certainly has helped understand...
who these people are..just a little better...

so many wonderful people...
who tune in each week...
quite the loyal followers...
real Chudsters.."so to speak"...

would like to THANK MARK...
for stealing my idea...
I am only teasing of course...
let's make that perfectly clear...

his idea was... FABULOUS...
after all is said and done...
truly enjoyed getting to know you all...
each and every one ...

this blog is directly responsible..
for bringing some wonderful people together...
from all corners of the planet...
what could possible be better????

for the love of MISS DIANA ROSS....
and the entire FAMILY...
with such pride and joy...
for all the world to see...

as for you MISS Chudney...
keep on doing what you do...
that is what makes us all tune in each week..
to see what's happeing with YOU...

may all your dreams materialze...
all your wishes come true...
for the entire ROSS FAMILY...
and for FANTASTIC...FABULOUS YOU!!!!

warm regards
amera

Rayna said...

Thanks for your response, Chudney! I appreciate your taking the time to answer your readers' questions, and I look forward to reading your blog each week.

Anonymous said...

A few questions for you:

As a woman of mixed race, have you ever experienced discrimination?

Also, have you experience another kind of discrimination being the child of a celebrity?