Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HOUNDDOG


Last week, I was invited to a screening of the movie HOUNDDOG. The movie was being screened at the REEL Film Festival for Women, celebrating the cinematic works of women all over the world.

I had heard a lot about the controversy surrounding the film, which was initially released at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. It was being called the “The Dakota Fanning rape movie,” but beyond that I knew nothing more about the film. I have to say my interest was peeked. Not that I would ever want to be witness to something inappropriate to children, but rather because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I wanted to make judgments for myself, so I rsvped and decided to attend.

After getting caught in traffic, searching for parking and running down Sunset Blvd in high heels, I arrived late and all the seats were full. I wish I had gotten there on time, but I wasn’t leaving. The movie began and I was whisked into the rural south in the 1950s. I stood in the back of the theater till my feet couldn’t take it anymore, then I plopped myself (much to the dismay of the ushers) on the edge of the stairs (yes, I was sitting on the floor).

HOUNDDOG is written and directed by Deborah Kampmeier and tells the story of lost innocence. Dakota Fanning bravely and beautifully plays Lewellen, a precocious southern girl who shines in the darkness that surrounds her. She lives with her alcoholic father and overly domineering religious grandmother. She finds her joy and strength in music. Obsessed with Elvis Presley, she always sings, dances and mimics his hip movements to his songs. She dreams of singing for Elvis one day and so when he comes to town, Lewellen and her best friend Buddy scheme to find a way to see the show. BUT instead of singing for her idol, Lewellen becomes a victim of the advances of the teenage milk delivery boy who promises her a concert ticket.

In the scene that has created so much controversy, Lewellen is raped and left alone in the barn. The scene is not graphic at all. Mostly you watch the expression on her face through a hole in the barn roof. Her emotion and pain seemed so real and raw (I cried like a baby on the steps of the theater). You don’t have to show much to know what is going on, you know. The boy may not have even been in the barn at all while filming. I believe all the controversy was over blown because people had not seen the movie. Gossip spreads like wildfire and Dakota Fanning's performance should have been commended, not scorned.

In the scenes following Lewellen loses her ability to sing and she begins to drown in her sadness. She loses her strength, her confidence and her radiance, but thanks to the gentle guidance of Charles, a farmhand and local medicine man who encourages Lewellen to sing again (I literally was sobbing during this scene, like waterfalls of tears flowing from my eyeballs), she finally finds the strength to fight against her pain and sorrow.

This is a difficult and emotional, but uplifting movie. It’s a movie that can and should get people talking, but not because Dakota Fanning’s parents allowed her to film a scene that it’s implied that her character is raped (I mean she has filmed movies with aliens and murder and no one batted an eyelash). I think sexual violence is an important topic to discuss and not just sweep under the rug. I believe many victims of rape feel alone and scared to even talk about it. To me, THAT is the message of this movie, to understand the impact that these experiences and allow an open discussion of them. The problem is people are talking without seeing the movie and understanding the context of the scene.

I’m glad I saw the movie HOUNDDOG. Although I wouldn’t say it was my favorite movie ever, I do for sure believe it told a story that I believe needs to be told. I think that people should see it before judging it or scorning the writer, director, actors and people involved.

The big stand out of the film for me though was Dakota Fanning. She was FABULOUS! I mean her performance was truly amazing for an actor and not just a child actor. She was brave and real and raw. She spoke after the film about her experience and I was in awe of her maturity and thoughtfulness while speaking on the subjects of controversy and rape. She is a smart girl that was not harmed in the making of this movie as the media has said. I couldn’t stay for the whole question and answer (I had prior plans and my feet where falling asleep while curled up on the stairs), but both Dakota and Deborah spoke thoughtfully and intelligently about the message of the film and their sadness that many people will not have the chance to see it because of all the controversy.

I, for one am glad I got the chance.

4 comments:

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Chudney, I have never heard of this movie and missed all the debate. But I do know that ANY movie with Dakota Fanning in has got to be amazing. She is a tremendously gifted actress. I'll look out for this one. (Like you, I know I'll cry at those two scenes you've described).

Take it easy x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.