Wednesday, December 3, 2008

THANKSGIVING


Each year, my family gets together for a BIG THANKSGIVING feast. We’re an extremely close-knit bunch (which I am VERY thankful for). Never once in my many (many) years on this planet have I NOT spent THANKSGIVING with them. THANKSGIVING is FABULOUS!

This year, we decided to spend THANKSGIVING at my oldest sister Rhonda’s apartment. Rhonda lives in New York and so Wednesday (the day before THANKSGIVING) Evan, Peanut and I (Brody had to stay home because he’s too big to travel) hopped on a plane eastward.

We bundled with our coats, hats and scarves (It’s COLD on the East coast in November) and headed up to Connecticut where Mom and Ross where already cooking in the kitchen. We made a quick trip to the grocery store to gather supplies then got to work. Mom made stuffing and gravy. Ross made Mac & Cheese and I baked homemade sweet potato pies (Evan just watched).

I had a mellow night hanging with my bros and watching TV, then I hit the hay in my childhood bedroom. I don’t know what it is about being in the room you grew up in, but I slept like a baby, so hard and deep that I could barely drag myself out of bed in the morning.

When I finally pulled myself from under the covers, I took Peanut for a long walk. He loves running in the grass and playing in the leaves. Then I cooked up some crescent rolls (pie and crescent rolls are my two dinner additions every year), then we packed up the car and headed to Rhonda’s. (Rhonda and her husband Rodney have a nice tradition where they invite all of their friends to stop by throughout the day to eat). My dad was already there and my sister Tracee arrived soon after.

When we arrived, we helped set up, then we dove into the food. I packed my plate with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, greens, sweet potatoes and Mac and Cheese all slathered in gravy. I gorged myself with two heaping plates full (you know, I love to eat) and when I finished I could barely move (I still haven’t learned how to pace myself when it comes to good food)! We hung out and laughed till the sun went down, then we packed up our leftovers in tupper ware and headed back to Connecticut (Tracee, Rhonda and dad came too).

We hung out in the kitchen (the family meeting spot), watched silly videos on Youtube and ate sweet potato pie (I found one tiny spot in my belly that wasn’t full). We all headed to the movies, but mom had to stay home to pack because she had an early flight the next morning. We saw Four Christmases, which was FABULOUS! It made me laugh till my stomach ached and I even shed a tear at the end. I LOVE Vince Vaugh and Reese Witherspoon!

After the movie, we headed home and watched TV till my eyes refused to stay open anymore (Evan was already snoring on the floor and Rhonda on the couch). I snuggled in my bed thinking of all the things I have to be thankful for:

I am thankful for my family who is always there for me. They give me strength and support and make me laugh until my stomach hurts.

I am thankful for my friends who I can be myself with, who I can tell my secrets to and confide in.

I am thankful for my health and the health of those close to my heart.

I am thankful for Peanut and Brody who drive me to my wits ends with the barking and peeing and pooping in the house, but I wouldn’t feel complete without my little shadows.

I am thankful for my talent, my passion and my strength to not give up even when things get tough. Who knew life wasn't an easy road? I am thankful for the support from my friends and family (blog readers and myspace friends too) to continue to follow my dreams.

I am thankful for my book deal with Harper Collins and for my literary agent and writing coach that believe in me, keep me motivated and remind me that I CAN succeed.

I am thankful for my spirit and my humor. Even when I wake up and I’m feeling down, I refuse to give up and wallow in it. I am happy to be a pleasure seeker and happy to be able to find a way to always smile.

I am thankful that Obama was elected president. It gives me hope and inspires me and I’m thankful that our nation has come so far in acceptance. We are ready for things to change!

I am thankful to be alive. I thankful for everyday I wake at the beach and the sun is still shining. I’m thankful for sweatpants, Ugg boots, US Weekly and a tea latte at the Coffee Bean. I’m thankful for bacon that I just adore, for Sunday family time, snuggling in my bed and ladies nights out. I’m thankful for margaritas, fast food and warm goat cheese salads.

I’m a lucky girl and I’m thankful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan Fabulous said...

Meghan by Meghan Fabulous would love to trade links!!!
Visit us at http://thedailyfab.blogspot.com/

Gene S. said...

Hi Chudney,
Your Thanksgiving Holiday read as if I were reading one wonderfully warm old holiday classic. It really touched every emotional heartstrings in me. It made me, laughed, smile and even get a moist eye, for ROWDY! Next time just leave him with me. I have two wonderful Mutts and a huge fence in yard, for when we go out and play. At nighttime he can join in with the rest of the gang( trust me,I don't have a choice on this one) to sleep on my bed.

The meal sounded so delicious. We opted on salmon. I'm trying to lose 20pounds. It tasted great but it's no substitute for turkey dinner with all the goodies that comes with it. Not anywhere near it!

I have to be honest. Your list on what you're thankful for, had me closing my window for fear of neigbors thinking someone must have just died. Boo hoo, LOL!

I wont bore you with my whole list. But I'll mention one. I'm very thankful for a younger more thoughtful generation(you're right ther at the top kid) who Vision for a better world, can brighten up the sky at midnight. A younger generation, who only resolve is to have an even stronger conviction to correct, what we, the past few generations have failed to do, keep and make our world better for futures generation to come. We miserally failed as keepers for tomorrow generations. When I see your generation, I can't help but have this warm and FABULOUS feeling! Happy Holidays Chudney!!! Gene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Free Spirit said...

just lovely! I would love to be apart of your family for a day! I don't snore and I have impeccable table manners!
I'm thankful for many things including a cool blog like yours
to read every now n' then!

Kendall said...

Chudney,

Your Thanksgiving sounded great, and my mouth is starting water thinking about the turkey, mac and cheese, etc. Thanksgiving is a great time of year, I didn't do my yearly thing two days before, where I try to stay empty until the day of, so I don't full right away. Thanks for sharing your day with us and for showing us that your family is not only close, but how you all are behind the scenes, which sounds cool, wished I could have been there:). Thank you for your blog Chudney, for those who might not have had such a great Thanksgiving you just gave them one (or two, or three :).

Kendall

PS: Your sister Rhonda's tradition is wonderful and a great idea.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.