Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ARIZONA


Sometimes you just need a little break from your everyday life to focus. I find it so hard to concentrate on my writing at home. I mean there are so many distractions (The dogs, TV, internet, happy hour, lunch with friends, dinner dates… you get the idea). I have a deadline fast approaching and so it’s important for me to be productive. A little getaway is definitely just what the doctor ordered!

My friend Sonni offered me her family’s home in Big Bear, CA. It’s not too far away, which is a plus and I thought it would be great to drive up and bring the dogs. Being in the mountains alone could be very inspiring! BUT then I REALLY thought about being alone in a mountain town during the summer with nothing to do, but write. Visions of bears, mosquitoes and serial killers swirled in my head and I decided to pass on the offer.

Then, I had came up with a FABULOUS idea! I could go to my mom’s house in Arizona. It’s beautiful, quiet and right near a spa, so in between writing I could work out, get fit, pamper myself and eat healthy (also continue my healing from the accident)!

My original plan was to drive and bring the dogs, but since I wrecked my car in the accident, I opted to fly. I booked my ticket on Southwest.com, found an inexpensive rental car on cheaptickets.com and I was all set. I arranged for the doggies to stay behind with my roommates (It’s too hot in Arizona with a fur coat anyways). I packed up my computer and my workout gear and I was off.

I arrived in Arizona Tuesday afternoon. I nearly melted in the heat as I dragged my bags to Thrifty to pick up my rental car. I pulled my Mapquest directions out of my bag and drove the 40 minutes towards the house, making one pit stop at Whole Foods to stock up on some healthy snacks. If I eat in the spa restaurant every meal, I will for sure gain weight. The food is healthy, but so good that I tend to overdo it (I don’t want to leave fatter instead of fitter). I bought fruits, veggies, eggs, snacks and lots of water (it’s extremely important to stay hydrated when it is so damn hot). Once I was all stocked up, I headed to the house to get settled.

The first night I stayed in, cooked veggies and rested up for the days ahead. I woke the next day ready and focused. I had a quick breakfast at home then headed to the gym. I took an abs class, stretch class and funk aerobics. Ok, so I may have overdone it because I started to feel a bit dizzy again (I hoped my post accident vertigo had not returned). I took a rest during a nice relaxing and YUMMY lunch at the restaurant. I made a heaping salad at the salad bar and swallowed a veggie burger whole (I was hungry)! After lunch, I returned to the house to write. Surrounded by silence, I worked uninterrupted for over 2 hours. Feeling good about my progress (and rested from my morning workout), I headed back to the gym for a spinning class and another dance class called fit strip (a sultry striptease workout) which was hysterical since I was the only one under the age of 50!

That evening, I went to the spa for my first bit of healing. I soaked in the hot tub, melted in the steam room, showered and received Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. I thought this might be a good way to help my body in the healing process after the trauma of the accident. I sat in a candle filled room and spoke to Mary (the energy worker) about what was ailing me. I told her about the accident, my dizziness and my bruising. Then I lay on the table and she began to work. I didn’t really feel much except relaxation. I melted into the table as her hands floated over me. She touched my head, my heart, my knee and feet. I wasn’t asleep, but I drifted into that sort of meditative state. 45 minutes later she finished. She explained how my left side was openly soaking up the energy (that’s the side I was hit in the accident) and also my head and right knee (which sometimes bothers me). Relaxed and focused, I returned home to write some more before dinner. I took a warm bath, watched the movie Fool’s Gold (which I actually thought was very funny) and hit the hay early.

Thursday morning, I woke early and headed to the restaurant for breakfast. I made a heaping omelet at the omelet bar, drank some freshly squeezed orange juice and some coffee (I can’t function without a little caffeine). I headed to the gym to get my workout on. I took a ballet inspired class called Buff booty and a stretch class before heading back to the house to write. After a good chunk of writing, I ate some lunch and read my book by the pool. I returned to the gym in the afternoon for a cardio circuit training class (which is so hard, but so good) and a seminar given by a clairvoyant on Energy and Intimate relationships. She talked about soul mates and how she believed the idea is a bit melodramatic for today’s world. She explained that it is much more empowering to find a person with whom your chakras (the 7 main energy centers of the body) are in balance or our overall outlook on life (interesting)! Still thinking about my charkas, I ate a deliciously healthy dinner in the restaurant at the community table (with a supermodel from NYC, a 68 year old cancer survivor and a pretty blonde from Orange County). After dinner, I headed to the spa to hit the steam room and hot tub (Not a bad way to drift off to bed). I returned home and went to bed early (and relaxed).

Friday was more of the same. I worked out at the gym till I could barely move, got some good writing done and even got acupuncture. I was a little nervous going in, but the doctor was friendly, knowledgeable and eased my concerns. The initial poke of the needles hurt a bit, but then I didn’t feel it at all. Once I had needles all sticking out of me (my ear, my forehead, my legs and feet) I rested in silence for 30 minutes. I was able to rest and relax and after she removed the needles, I have to tell you, I immediately felt better. I felt looser and lighter and my vision was even clearer. It was amazing! I spent the afternoon, resting, reading by the pool and writing (you’re supposed to take it easy after the treatment). That night I played Bingo at the spa. Sadly, I left empty handed, but it was fun anyway. Who knew you could have so much fun not going out with friends, but instead playing bingo with old folks?

On a regular Saturday at home, you would find me playing at the beach with my friends, but here in Arizona I stayed focused. I started the morning with the centering circle, which is a short 20-minute meditation lead by one of the energy healers. I took a dance classes and did the cardio circuit class again. In the afternoon, I got some good writing done, then had a yummy dinner at the restaurant (that food is so damn good)!

Sunday was my last day and I wanted to make the most of it! I started again with the centering circle. I am pretty good at being able to settle my mind into a meditative state for a short time. 20 minutes is perfect and a nice way to start a full day with focus. I worked my abs in an abs class, did the cardio, took funk aerobics and then rested my weary body during a nice long lunch. I grazed the salad bar at the restaurant and had a turkey and tofu bacon (not as good as the real thing but still YUMMERS) the headed back into the gym for another abs followed by a low impact belly dancing class. By this time, my body could barely move! I was worn out! I hobbled home to write for the rest of the evening. I ate dinner at home, but swung by the spa to recoup in the hot tub before bed.

The next morning, I found time for a little breakfast and one more abs class before boarding the plane to return home. I let Arizona feeling healthy, fit (though a little sore) and having gotten a good amount of writing finished. Sometimes, getting away from the real world to focus is FABULOUS!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gene S. said...

Hi Kiddo,

You're dead on accurate about not going to Big Bear. I get so tired from the boredom,letting my imagination run amok about who's or what was that outside my window. Last but not least, all the mosquitoes, which are in my mind, serial killers little helpers. They pester you to death! LOL.

Your idea to go to your mom's house in AZ was a FABULOUS idea, except for me that is. There's still that nasty little business regarding that restraining order. Gosh, your mom really can hold a grudge, LOL! Tell her to get over it. I have, LOL!!! So instead of relaxing in the big and beautiful home, I'm entitled. I stayed at the Motel 5. Now before you ask, yes, there is indeed a motel 5. Only reserve for those with a discernible, desperate aversion to the only alternative would be an excruciating death in the desert. So since those were the options, motel 5 was my choice, hands down. (Motel 6 must had been apparently all booked up) And what amenities, with the complimentary cup of cold coffee and 5 day old pastries.

Now my perky and precious little Chudney, since your mother restraining order deemed to reach all the way to the Spa & Gym, I had to settle on an old Jane Fonda video in my room and the front desk/bellhop/massage therapist, name big Gurt, who offer me an additional service fees. For a extra 25 cent she would throw in a quick massage therapy stress relief benefit. Now as much as that sweeten the pot, I politely decline her/his/?, offer! Oh did I mention that big Gurt was also the la Chef du jour, mmmmmmm yummy!

So as you can see, we started out with simulars plans, but somehow, as usual, I recieved the short end again. But as always, I just happy my little Bubbala had a FABULOUS time. Til next time, your little Faygala, Gene
P.S. Why is it I always end up feeling like Rhonda to your Mary! LOL :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm lucky doing a job that takes me away from everyday life or not. Seems I have the opposite longing...to have a break more at HOME. Although I must admit I do fancy the idea of Big Bear with nothing to do. One of my favourite time outs was a trip to the very north west of Scotland. To a chalet with friends to a place called Achiltibuie. A little log cabin beachside in the middle of nowhere looking out to the Outer Hebrides, described in the tour brochure as "a wonderful place with an enormous amount of nothing to do". I booked it immediately. We cooked fab meals, drank good wine, walked the hills and moors, read, played games...and I worked on my work promotion application :(
(But there are no bears in Achiltibuie so I was safe roaming the beaches and hills on my own...ha ha!)
HOWEVER, a house near a spa sounds pretty wonderful too. (I have missed all my yoga, pilates, bums/tums and gym classes for two months now and the reading on the scales is not good!). Chudney, reading this blog I forgot whether you were working on the deadline for your book of training for the next Olympics! How many classes did you do?! Whoa. (I'm just jealous I can't keep up with all that these days. Chances are you'd see me at the fit strip classes...you little devil...could you not at least have said under 60...that would have made me feel a whole lot better! Anyway, 50 is the new 40 ha ha!)

On a serious note though. Glad you got focused and hope you keep focused...good luck.

Ruthie.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.