Wednesday, August 20, 2008

TATTOOS


TATTOOS are addictive! Some people will get one and then want another and another and another. I got my first TATTOO many, many years ago and although I still only have two, I dream daily of how to continue to adorn my body.

I got the first TATTOO when I was in college (in Washington, DC). My friend Sara had a couple of TATTOOS already and I wanted one too. Being the artist that I am (I majored English AND Fine Arts, you know), I had drawn an abstract sun that I wanted to get on the top of my foot. We drove out to Virginia to the place where Sara had gotten her other TATTOOS and a semi-scary TATTOO covered man greeted us. I showed him what I wanted and he barked, “Nothing below the ankle!” I guess that is the law in Virginia (also they don’t want to run the risk of you complaining if it fades).

The sun was too large to get anywhere else on my body, so I started to panic. I searched the walls of pictures for ideas while Sara got her nose pierced (which bled excessively! YUCK)! I finally decided on an outline of a shark for my hip. I was big into Scuba Diving at the time and had recently gotten my PADI Shark Diver Certification (I dove with 7 foot sharks in the open water and in a shark cage). I realize NOW that this is NOT a good reason to draw a permanent shark on your hip! Not to mention the fact that, back in the day (I’m OLD!) pants, bathing suits, everything was worn higher on the hips. Now that low-rise pants are in, the shark fin is always circling just above the waistline! Not to mention, when I get pregnant that shark will for sure turn into a whale! TERRIBLE!

My advice before marking yourself with permanent ink is to put A LOT of thought into what you’re going to get and how you will feel about it when you are old and wrinkly or fat and pregnant. Do NOT decide on the spot like I did!

I don’t regret my shark at all. It’s a good story at the least and a part of my history. I believe TATTOOS tell your story in pictures, but although I wish it had more significance, my shark is still pretty FABULOUS.

I went back to the TATTOO parlor in Virginia again in my senior year. This time, I opted to pierce my belly button. Now that hurt way more than the TATTOO for sure! They squeeze the skin with a clamp, and then shove a huge scary needle through. UGH! When I was home for Thanksgiving, my mom saw the belly ring. She was not a fan! She always says, “Your body is your temple, don’t mess it up”. I agree that my body is my temple, so why not decorate it!

Many years later, I decided to get a second TATTOO. I put a lot more thought this time. No Chinese lettering (this makes me nervous because you never know what it really says)! Not my boyfriend’s name (or anyone’s name for that matter). Never put anyone’s name permanently on your body except maybe your kids or your parents. No faces of people (That’s just tacky)! I decided on a star on my inner ankle (visible, but not too in your face). I wanted a star because I believe I am a star though I am not (yet) a star. I may not have the celebrity superstardom, but I still shine bright and I’m still pretty darn FABULOUS! I went with my boyfriend at the time and he got the same thing on his forearm. He has recently covered it up with a box. His loss! Never let your star dim!

Lately, I have been itching to get TATTOO number three. I’m thinking maybe a heart (for all the love in my heart) or maybe some sort of words of encouragement to be a reminder when things get tough (like LOVE, LAUGH or BELIEVE) or maybe just a peanut (because you know I LOVE that dog)! I will continue to ponder till the time is right.

I love my TATTOOS and will definitely (with continued thought) get more. I think TATTOOS are FABULOUS!

10 comments:

Gene S. said...

Oh Chudney,
I think I've better come and take you back to the hospital. There must still be someting wrong with your brain. You are a star. You're also fabulous and you don't need to desecrete your body to prove it. You know you are, I know you will are be and so to anyone who knows you. I'm in total agreement with you mom on this one. Think long and hard Kiddo. A tattoo will only detract from your real beauty that radiate from a real true star, that is call Chudney. Now I have to go and take my meds after this little shock. Every since i decided to put you in my will you keep shocking me. Is there a link perhaps???? LOL -Love -Gene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Hey Chudney,
Thursday morning at home with my coffee and your blog :) This blog made me smile as it brought back to mind some tattoo/piercing stories. First of all you need to know my detest of both so you are able to imagine why both my niece and best friend had a dread of me finding out about their new body designs. Each dealt with their fear of me finding out in their own way. My niece Pauline (17yrs at the time) decided to face the music and pay me a visit and tell me. After a lecture from me (which she would have expected, bless her lol) she asked if I wanted to see it. Despite saying no I did not, she lifted her top and rolled down her jeans to reveal a pastel pink, blue and aqua coloured dolphin on her hip. okaaay...so actually it was quite nice, tasteful and thoughtful. (My house is full of dolphin stuff...just special to me and I had given Pauline lots of dolphin gifts...so I was kinda touched) However, this was still a tattoo permanently "decorating" my little Pauline's body :( As much as I say I am very anti tattoos, I must admit that I have accepted that this little dolphin is very much a part of Pauline (pardon the pun). I can't even imagine her now without it!

NEXT there is my best friend Sandra. We have known each other since we were 3 and 4 yrs old. As close as sisters we are and know EVERYTHING about each other. Well, so I thought. (lol) Having pierced her belly button Sandra had worried about me finding out. She decided to keep it a secret. However! (ha ha ha) One day when I had popped in for coffee her little son (maybe about 7yrs old at the time) decided to yank up her top and exclaim "Look what my mum got!" Her face turned beetroot red as her belly button jewel was revealed. I just fell about laughing at the lengths she had gone to in order that I didn't find out, only for it to be so quickly revealed by little Connor. (Who, by the way, copped the filthiest look from his mum making him realise he had just done something "terribly" wrong!)

Whether you love them or hate them... they will always have a story to tell indeed.

Chudney...I kinda hope you change your mind about a third tattoo :(

Love Ruth x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amera said...

Hello Chudney;


I have to say I haven't go the nerve to do such a thing... [at least I don't think so]...however...I did consider it on my 50th birthday...[I wanted to do something completely ff the wall].
Had I managed to convince my girlfriend to have one with me...[perhaps I may have].
We were in New York at the time...would have been a great place to have one.
My friend...[which will remain nameless]...otherwise she will kill me ...has had shall we say...many cosmetic enhancements.
When I mentioned that we should have tatoos...she nearly had a heart attack.
Claiming that having a tatoo would be painful....[funny that it how I feel about surgery...of any kind].
Anyway...I was unable to convince her...and I certainly was not going to have one alone....as I am a bit of a chicken.
I can't even stomache the thought of having my ears pierced...[scares the hell out of me].
So I thought perhaps having someone with me ...[would somehow make it less painful].
I have considered having something done over the years...but was always too afraid.
Since I am in the footwear indusrty...and with all the 'SEX AND THE CITY " craze going on...perhaps a shoe...[a nice high heel] would be appropriate.
But where would I put it????...that was the other dilemma.

After all I have been in the indusrty now since 1975...so it is a huge part of my life.
I suppose it just was not meant to be...[not just yet anyway].
Since I am such a huge fan of MS.ROSS...I would also consider having.....["GO FOR YOUR DREAMS"] tatooed....which is something your MOTHER says quite often in many of her concerts.
I have always found those words of hers...to be very inspiring.
As a matter of fact they have certainly helped me through many many stages of my life.
MS.ROSS represents to me the "DREAM".... believing in ourselves....having goals in life...and reaching for the stars...to make our dreams reality.
Maybe I'll forget about the shoe...and have that tatooed ... [my dilemma remains]...I still don't know where to put it!!!!

My advice to you is...whatever it is you decide to do....I am certain it will be right for you.
Just do me one favor...give it some serious thought...and whatever you do ...don't rush into it.
It is soemthing you have to live with...a very long time.

Love
amera

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KimT said...

i have a tattoo which I got when I was 40! Its a butterfly, some vines and the name of the son I lost. It was my mother's day gift to myself. I think tattoos are ok. I do agree that you should think long and hard before you tattoo a name on yourself. My dad has one on his forearm that said Betty. My mother's name is LaVerne!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.