Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BOOKS I LIKE


I wasn’t the coolest kid growing up (ok… I was kind of a nerd). I wore big glasses, baggy clothes and didn’t talk to many people. I was insecure and trying to find my place in the world. I would spend hours hiding in the pages of a BOOK where my mind could run wild and I could be whomever I wanted to be (One day I was the beautiful princess who snagged the prince and the next a brave and strong warrior who would slay the dragon)!

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to love and be happy with who I am. No longer do I feel the need to hide behind characters in BOOKS (I am that beautiful princess and for sure I have qualities of that brave and strong warrior). I still think it’s FABULOUS to get lost in the pages of a BOOK though. I may not read as often as I used to or as much as I could, but I still love to read! Here are a couple of my favorite BOOKS that I think are FABULOUS! Check them out and READ, READ, READ!

BOOKS THAT TOUCHED MY HEART:

I KNOW WHY THE CAGE BIRD SINGS By Maya Angelo
Maya Angelou is FABULOUS! I love her poetry (Phenomenal Woman, That’s me!) and this, her autobiography is touching, moving and will make you shed more than one tear. The BOOK tells her story of a youth filled with disappointment, frustration, tragedy and finally her hard won independence. Maya Angelou's gift for language makes you feel like you are right there with her through every struggle and triumph of her life. If you haven’t read this BOOK, it is definitely worth the read (the movie ain’t bad either)!

BLACK WHITE AND JEWISH By Rebecca Walker
Rebecca Walker is the bi-racial daughter of African American writer Alice Walker and Jewish lawyer Mel Leventhal. BLACK WHITE AND JEWISH is the story of her struggle to find her identity in a race-obsessed society. She openly explains the prejudice she encountered from her friends, teachers and families, both black and Jewish. As a ballet dancer myself, it hit a cord with me when her white ballet teacher told her she would never be good because her black butt was too big. I also related to the story of how her Jewish relatives treated her like an outcast and of the boyfriend who felt she wasn’t black enough. Her stories of struggle and conflict are relatable and touching to people of all races, genders and ethnicities.

I relate to this BOOK on more than one level (3 in fact). Having grown up BLACK WHITE AND JEWISH myself, I think I have dealt with many of the same issues addressed in the BOOK. Growing up in a predominately white area I was the odd one out (the one with frizzy hair, the one that wasn’t a member of the county club). My father’s parents never accept us because we were not Jewish and I wasn’t black enough in the black community. Even today, I get multiple messages commenting on the fact that I am not “black enough” or asking whether I have black friends. I can only respond that I am me (BLACK WHITE AND JEWISH)! I do not choose my friends by the color of their skin. I spend my time with people of all races and religions that have good hearts, people who love me for me and people who look past the color lines drawn out by society.

NOVELS:

EAT PRAY LOVE By Elizabeth Gilbert
I love a good novel that can sweep you away to another time and place. I tend to be drawn to novels about contemporary women that are written in the first person because they are relatable and thus I get immersed in the pages.

After a nasty divorce, Gilbert set out on a journey of soul searching and self-discovery. The story is like chatting with a friend and learning along the way. First, Gilbert explores PLEASURE by savoring all the delights of Italy (pizza, wine and language... OH MY!) “The appreciation of pleasure can be the anchor of one’s humanity,” she says. If you haven’t noticed I took what I learned in this section of the BOOK to heart. I live life to the fullest for sure and try to seek pleasure at every turn!

Next, she dives into PRAYER by studying at a sacred ashram in India. She learns to meditate and struggles to quite her churning mind (not unlike mine, which never seems to stop racing). She learns from the Bhagavad Gita, the ancient Yogic Text, that “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.” I love this quote. It’s so true. Be yourself! Love yourself!

And finally, in Bali Gilbert tries to bring all she has learned together with the guidance of a medicine man. This is also where she finds that she can love again. “Somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme Self that is eternally at peace.” I am still looking for mine, but this BOOK helped to lead me in the right direction for sure!

SELF HELP:

SUCCULENT WILD WOMEN By SARK
My mom introduced me to Sark’s BOOKS (I also like Inspiration Sandwich and The Creativity Journal), which are colorful, upbeat and fun with good advice and suggestions to arouse creativity and self-discovery. Get your creative juices flowing with these self help BOOKS. SUCCULENT WILD WOMEN inspires you to be "succulent" (taking in all the juices life has to offer) from sexuality, love and romance to fat, fears and recovery. “Succulence is powerful and so are each of you!”

THE SECRET By Michael Berg
Everyone has read, listened to or watched THE SECRET. I am no different. THE SECRET became a phenomenon a couple years ago and though I don’t think it shares anything wild or new, the ideas and truths filling the pages are important to be reminded of. THE SECRET reveals the essence of life in its most concise and powerful form. ASK, BELIEVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE! The wisdom in this book can and will help you discover your true purpose and create a life of lasting joy! READ IT!

HOW TO BECOME A FAMOUS WRITER BEFORE YOU’RE DEAD By Ariel Gore
My friend Pearl gave me this book as a present for my birthday. Though I had already signed my first book deal and wasn’t particularly in need of a writers’ guide, what I found in the pages of this book was FABULOUS! Not only is there great advice for me as a writer, this book inspired me to sit back down and get to work.

Gore’s advice for being a writer and getting your name in lights is simple… Be a writer. “If you have a story to tell, tell it, and once you've told it, promote the hell out of it and most importantly, learn real fast that nobody out there will give a damn about what you have got to say until you make them pay attention.” Inspirational, informative and WAY cheaper than an Masters degree in writing!

OTHER:

CONFESSIONS OF AN HEIRESS By Paris Hilton
Alright, you can hate me because I think this book is great. I used quotes from this book in earlier blogs and got shit for it. I’m sooooooorry, but this book is FUNNY! It’s a tongue and cheek look into the life of Paris Hilton. I do think that everyone (even if you don’t want to admit it) wants a little slice of this girl’s life! She knows how to get what she wants and matter-of-factly explains how anyone can be a glamorous, FABULOUS, tiara-wearing heiress just like her (AND ME)! Her advice to "channel your own inner heiress, create your own image, and project an extreme sense of confidence" is an empowering message for every woman. "Always act like you're wearing an invisible crown." I’m sorry people, but that is FABULOUS advice if I ever heard it!!

CHECK, PLEASE! By Janice Dickinson
OK, now I know better than to take love advice from the outrageous Janice Dickinson, but this book is FABULOUS too! There is a reason why this woman is a bestseller! We want to know what the hell is going on in the beautiful, but absolutely crazy head! In this book Janice shares her dating dos and don'ts learned from her wild life of dating, mating, and extricating. It also includes uncensored stories of her romances with some of America's most eligible bachelors.

Some tips I learned that I think are FABULOUS!
Lesson #2: Wanna Get a Guy's Attention? Ignore Him!
Lesson #13: If He's Got His Eye on the Door, He's Already Halfway Through It
Lesson #28: Don't Do Anyone You Might Regret
Lesson #47: Don't Follow Trends—Start Them

In a BOOK anything is possible (you can be a heiress, a warrior and even realize your wildest dreams) and that is FABULOUS! Free your mind, dive into a book and enjoy!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very deep. I love your reviews and insights. It's a shame how class and race will seperate families. What wonderful people they miss knowing. I will definitely check out the book on meditation and prayer. Shutting off my brain for just a little while would be a joy, just to reel in my wandering mind. I might even look into the books by Paris and Janice. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog as usual.. E'nuff said. :D Books and blogs... I read them all... Keep the blogs coming, Chudney...

Gene S. said...

I can't possibly relate to being bi-racial, but I think I know how you felt somtimes as the odd kid out. My foster parents were white young semi-hippie in the early 60's. I didn't always fit in as the only black kid in my high school. Scholastically I was at the bottom. And to make matter worse, when i would visited my silbings, my oldest brother and his friends would teased me by saying I was trying to sound white. As soon as I made friends at school and actually became popular, my foster parents decided to move back to Dragerton Utah. I had no idea what was in store for me, Agh! The closest town was called Price, 25miles away, nothing in betwenn but desert Now I'm not exaggerating, it looked like dodge city on Gun-smoke. Now Mormons weren't as accepting of black back then. I didn't know anything about their beliefs. One day, me and my foster brother(Latino) were playing with our neighbor, a teen who lived across the street from us. We were having a blast of a snow fight, then his mother came and yanked him up and made him go inside. My foster father's mother would called daily telling him to send us away. We got the message. We ran away, back to Los Angeles. It turned out for the best.

I love reading book. It just I so bad at starting a new one after I finished the last. My partner of 27years,( a well bred German)still keep harping to get me to read more. He's constantly reading something historical, while I'm watching the boob-tube. Still he has hope.

One last thing. You wouldn't happen to know if Paris's Step-great grandmother is still with us?
She was Conrad Hilton last wife. We worked together at United airlines before and after their marriage. She and my suvpervisor, took me out on my 21th birthday and when she learned i still didn't had a bank accont, took me to the bank to open up one. A beautiful lady. I would actually curl her hair bangs. She always carried a curling iron in her purse. Her name is Mary frances kelly. If you know anything about her, please let me know.
Always enjoy reading your Blog. It's my only contact with the outside world. LOL!!! Take care Kiddo. Love-Gene

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

Thank you for sharing some of your favorite books in this week's blog. It is amazing how many valuable lessons that we learn through reading and how we can sometimes identify with certain things that we read. You are also giving wonderful advice to people to pick up a book and read, especially young people, and this is wonderful. I am sure that many kids look up to you and will listen to your advice. I was just talking about this today at school with another teacher. Kids don't read enough today. In my summer program, we have one period of the day designed for Quiet Reading. We make the students use that period each day to read, at least, one book. It is a struggle for some kids to complete the book, and others read several books during the summer. It is our intention to help the kids see the joys and value of reading, and hopefully, they will continue to read throughout their lives. I always tell the kids that reading is fundamental, key word FUN! I always get a laugh when I say it, but it is true. It is fun. I am sure that your post will inspire people to pick up a great book and read! Thanks for another fabulous post!! -Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney:

I loved this post(except for the Paris Hilton part!).

Your comments on being black, white, and Jewish are interesting. First, Jewish is a religion (not a race except as Hitler saw it). Have you thought about converting to Judaism? Unless your Mom is Jewish or you were raised Jewish, then it is hard to claim you are Jewish, but you can be Jewish if you convert. Being Jewish is wonderful. Really, you are quite lucky to have such a wonderful background. Credit to your Mom for being so open in her choices.

Now, I must ask you what you feel about Barack Obama? Do you relate to his being the product of mixed racial parents? I like your more serious posts and would be interested in your thoughts on this. Also what about the comments that Reverand Jess Jackson said about "cutting Obama's----off" because he "talked down to black folks?" Also what about the Pastor Jeremah Wright. Do you relate to that stuff?

Hugs
Pistachio

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud,

Do love the insights. I do have a suggestion for you aswel. Why dont you try to read. Illusions of Richard Bach, its one of the greatest novels i have ever red in my life. He is also the author of the novel Johnathan Livingston Seagul. Also a great book. And no your not the only one who had to struggle with being bi-racial.

As for me being Dutch-indonesian was also a struggle, not being accepted by both side of the family or the community is what made me a fighter.

RAge

Anonymous said...

Lesson #1 - "Fabulous"

Anonymous said...

Chudney Babe, you are fabulous! Nobody should choose friends by race or color of skin.
I love you! You have a place in my heart. Keep up the good work with your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey.. Chud,

I really like this blog, Rage is right.. your blog is amazing. Much better than Kim Kardhasians or Paris Hilton. I like the way you write and express yourself ,and like Rage who often post comments, do not, and i quote do not back down from your own opion, because that is what writing is all about, besides what does a good lookig girl like you doing in a place like LA, my suggestion, travel as much as you can.., you do not need to get a huge plane or budget, but go around and talk to people and use their lives as caracter for your upcoming childerens book..., suggestion that Rage and I use to give other writers also..,

God Bless,

Naad

Anonymous said...

I agree with the person that saids u need to travel and get in touch with different children from all over. I kno u like to keep a small budget trust me I understand. Just try to do what u can. You can go places that no other children book writer have ever gone. There is a lot to learn about the kids of these days. Get out there be the success I kno u will b. Chudney I have kids of my own and they both have different personality. As a parent I would like for my kids to read books that they can relate to as well as learn from. I like to read myself. Most books I read is sumthin I can relate to or learn from.

Anonymous said...

Books are my best friends on trips Chudney and I'm always asking everyone what they're reading. I just adore books and don't go anywhere without one! Have read many of the ones you've mentioned. Maya Angelou is so incredible. Not read all of her books, so now you've spurred me on to make one of hers my next. Depends very much what mood i'm in as to what I'll pick up. Travel blogs and book blogs anytime please!

Ruth x

p.s. My myspace a/c has been phished so couldn't rsvp. Just wanted to say "Cheers for being in touch".

Anonymous said...

p.p.s. Chudney...I noticed that "our dear" Sarah has not commented on this particular blog...Yes, she is guilty as charged! I CANNOT get that girl to read...maybe your blog will encourage her since with me it falls on deaf ears! lol

Ruth x

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud,

Well nice to visit your blog kid. Guess, Rage and Nadia where right about your blog. Its nice, i checked out Kims and Parises and i like yours not because your the daughter of the Diana Ross, but because you put this blog out as YOU. So do me one favour kid, do not bail out, or delete something just because you got your own opion, if people can't handle that , Rage has told you that once and so do I ''they can piss off'', we would like to see you get more spicey on your blog. And for that person who says that you should write more seriouse stuff. Honey.. being seriouse is why god made you, but if you want to be funny, kind, loving and a fighter than this is not your blog..

Besides if this blog would be filed with seriouse stuff, everyone would walk away...!

Take care,

Belle

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

Aren't books wonderful? Especially those that seem to be written with your own words and feelings. I loved your book selections, and some of them like, "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" are favorites of mine as well.

Also, I love the way you expressed yourself about choosing your friends by their hearts. Everyone should be choosing their friends the same way. And EVERYONE has issues with family in some form or fashion, so you're not alone there. Keep doing what you're doing lady!

CHUDNEY ROSS said...

One book that I forgot that is so juicy and fun: Sista Souljas Coldest Winter Ever!
Check it out :)

Anonymous said...

Coldest Winter is a good book and can't wait to read Sista Soulja next installment. Another good book for you to read is called "Push" by Safire. You work with inner city youths and I think this book will help you in that area.

And I'll admit that I'am curious to know about your relationship with the black community. I notice the pictures of your friends and none of them look like the girls on your sisters show Girlfriends. What up with that?

bunjee

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney:
What' up with big sis Tracee's blog? The web site is down. What is Tracee up to these days?

Anonymous said...

Psychi, feeee,

Wohaa..., intresting revieuws on the literature, part from the paris hilton and dickenson part.
Hey all Dutch girls are being represented.. on this blog, Ragie, Naadje, and Bella.., funny we all intent to like your blog ms Ross, well like your mom use to sing who is the boss.., i do like your writing style, but you should be more expanding yourself, and not being affraid of also expressen your feelings over certain toppics, the old blog that you once had, that was really a good thing, because people are expressing themselves and giving their point of viewu. Well good luck on the writing.. hope to catch a book from you, of course of the shelves..,

XXX, Cat

Anonymous said...

One book that I forgot that is so juicy and fun: Sista Souljas Coldest Winter Ever!
Check it out :)

Ughh!!!
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ff/49/39f3_1.JPG

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

It is wonderful that this blog entry generated so many comments!!!! It is fabulous to see that so many people care about reading, and your blog helped them to reflect on that!!!! Way to go!!!! -Mark

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chudney, for another great blog!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Especially after reading what you wrote I wanna read Paris Hilton's book, but I just don't think I can bring myself to buy it at the bookstore. I'll be too ashamed!!!

(reading a book by paris hilton is like getting nutritional advice from amy winehouse.... just doesn't seem... i dunno.... right)

Anonymous said...

Just read the blog... And reading should be promoted like movies!!!! We need a Perez Hilton of books...lol:) Maybe then the world will be a better place... Wishful thinking, right???? keep it up!!! And stay FABULOUS!!!!! peace, KeithM (kee-thum)....mmmm hmmmm!!!

Anonymous said...

Chudney! look at the number of comments on this topic :)

Two recommendations for you and all :

Three Cups Of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

Ruth x

Anonymous said...

Think this has been my favourite blog...opened up new shelves in the bookstore to me :) Read cover to cover "Succulent Wild Women" on the flight home from LA after The Hollywood Bowl...LOVED it! It was my mission to buy another one of Sark's book as soon as I arrived in the big apple today. I'm now the owner of "Eat Mangoes Naked" too.

Cheers,

Ruth x

Anonymous said...

Chudney,

My aunty Ruth is now making me spend 70 mins in 'Waterstones' book store when I next visit her and making me buy a book. With my own money!

I have never read a book in my life and she is determined to change that!

Hope you well Chudney & enjoyed last weekend! :)

Sarah x

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

I don't usually do things by halves, so I am now the owner of ANOTHER two of SARK'S books :

Posperity Pie
The Bodacious Book Of Succulence

lol I just LOVE these books. Thanks so much for the recommendation. And there are more to get :) I'm soo hooked. Anyone else out there picked them up since Chudney's Book Blog?

More book blogs ANYTIME Chudney :)

Regards,

Ruth x