Wednesday, June 18, 2008

SEX IN THE CITY – NEW YORK CITY


What better place to see the new hit movie SEX IN THE CITY than in NEW YORK CITY? … And that’s just what I did!

On my recent trip to Bermuda, I had to stop over in NEW YORK. So I thought why not spend a couple days hanging in the city with my friends. I played with my friend Annie’s babies in Central Park, dined with my college room-mates Sarah and Celeste on the Upper East side, partied with my friend (ex-boyfriend) Grason in the East Village, and had a SEX IN THE CITY night with my girl Samantha (also in town from LA)!

I didn’t get invited to the SEX IN THE CITY premiere in New York, LA or Cannes, so I figured the next best thing was to make my own SEX IN THE CITY night with my girls in the city that made the TV show famous (I loved the TV show and used to watch it every Sunday). The only problem is I was only in NEW YORK for a couple nights and Mary and Celeste had to work. Sarah was gone on business and Annie was stuck with the babies, which left Sam and I to hit the town alone in the name of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.

Sam and I were feeling a little under the weather (due to a bit of excessive drinking our first night in NYC), so dressing for our SEX IN THE CITY night was a challenge. Sam tried on a million and one outfits. With her whole luggage exploded all over the floor, she finally decided on a pink, ruffley number that she picked up on a recent trip to Tijuana (a one of a kind from south of the border… sort of). I went back and forth between a white Herve Leger knock off (borrowed from Sam) and a black mini, but finally donned my off the shoulder blue dress (don’t tell anyone, but its from Forever 21 and yes… the same one I wore on the sunset cruise in Bermuda! SHHH…)

We stepped out of the elevator, spun through the revolving door and our SEX IN THE CITY night kicked into high gear. Heads turned and men gawked as we hailed a cab. We thought, “Wow! We must be looking good.” (Even though we still were NOT feeling so hot).

We hit the theater near Union Square where throngs of girls had the same idea as us… none looking as fine as the two of us though! Women dress way more conservatively in NYC than in LA. We were the shining blue and the pink stars in a sea of black and navy dresses.

The lights dimmed in the theater and the movie began…

“After years of living in the city, I assumed that if my friends and I ever got our fairytale endings, that would be the end of the story… But real life always has a twist.” -Carrie Bradshaw

The film follows the continuing adventures of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda as they live their lives in NEW YORK CITY four years after the TV series ended. Carrie and Mr. Big are still going strong and her book career is in full swing (I’m a little jealous of her book career, her engagement and HER CLOSET! Ha! Ha!) Miranda is still a workaholic lawyer living in Brooklyn with her husband Steve and their son, Brady. Samantha and Smith (Who is SO HOT! SWOON!) are in Los Angeles, where his career is in high gear and Charlotte and her husband, Harry, have adopted a little girl from China.

If you weren’t addicted to the series (like I was) you may not totally appreciate the film. You may feel out of the loop and not in on the joke, BUT for those of us with a history with the characters the movie is a culmination of years and years of following these women’s lives. Those of us who watched the TV show religiously bring in years of inside jokes, of knowing the characters and of being part of their journey. It may sound silly, but I cried throughout the whole thing in happiness and sadness, in relating and understanding. It was touching, funny and visually FABULOUS! The fashion and the clothes were to die for. In the end the message of the importance of good friends and staying true to yourself was truly touching.

As the ending credits rolled, the camera pans over NEW YORK’s very hip Meat Packing district, so that’s exactly where Sam and I headed.

We hopped in a cab and fixed our makeup (excessive crying will do a number on a smoky eye) as we headed downtown. We strutted our stuff down the cobblestone street (A bit hard in heels and sadly mine are not Manolos) like we were on the runway at Fashion Week. We waved at Kimora Lee Simmons who was checking us out outside ONO Restaurant (I’ve met her a bunch of times, but I don’t think she knows me from a hole in the wall).

“I looked HOT like you girls once! Looking good!” She called as we continued to swing and sway. We looked FINE! Heads turned, men gawked and invited us to dinner (we gracefully declined). It was the weirdest thing! I don’t know if we were just exuding confidence or happiness or nonchalants, but whatever was in the air that night felt good (A nice little boost to the ego is always nice)! We were totally having our own SEX IN THE CITY moment.

We sashayed up the bar at Pastis for cocktails (I had a Pinot Grigio, not a cosmo. OOPS!) We batted our eyelashes at some very handsome men at the bar (sadly this seemed to be the only group of guys that didn’t even notice we were looking so HOT)! Men in NEW YORK CITY are so well dressed and handsome, but unfortunately they all have rings on their fingers.

We sat for dinner at the cutest little table by the patio. A warm breeze set the mood as we dined on the most delicious Italian cuisine. We shared a tomato crustini with goat cheese (to die for!) and I had the penne arrabiata followed by a bit of strawberry chocolate heaven.

The evening was FABULOUS and even though we were stuffed from dinner; we were feeling like a million bucks. We swung by the Gansavort Hotel for a drink at on the roof top bar. I chose a champagne and Sam had a Stoli Soda under the moonlight (still no cosmos)! When the glasses were empty, we decided it was time to head back uptown to bed.

We headed out into the warm night to catch a cab. Compliments continued to flow and people admired us. A group of (drunk) men approached and tried to get us to go have a drink with them. We declined again and hailed a passing cab. Trying to be funny, one of the guys asked how much it would cost… implying that we were hookers. This sent me reeling (you know how I can get)! I cursed him out, while getting in the cab and flipped him the bird through the window as we pulled away.

A sort of foul ending to a FABULOUS night, but as Carrie says in the movie…

“Life doesn’t always turn out to be your fantasy. That’s why you need friendships that are real to get you through it all.” –Carrie Bradshaw

Sam and I had a FABULOUS SEX IN THE CITY night in NEW YORK CITY!

10 comments:

Notable Styles & More said...

LOVED the story!! How is your Young Hollywood gig going?

Anonymous said...

Chudney, a few words of advice. If you're going to teach, instruct, or write on behalf of children, please be more reserve in your social outings, i.e. drinking, cursing people out, writing about drinking and cursing people out. Should your career take out with all you're trying to get involved in, your past will surely come back to bite you in your BUTT! No matter how nice it may be!

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Morning Chudney and thanks for another FABULOUS blog :) I just LOVED reading this and what a fab way to begin the day. I was lying in bed thinking how tired I was but really should get up. Couldn't...then I remembered your blog would be up. I managed to leap out of bed then lol: so thanks for that!

Sex And The City...what can I say. I didn't watch the series and I don't know why not! I love New York and watch anything based around it, but somehow I missed this one. (My job makes me miss lots of TV series). BUT...when I saw the trailer I knew it was one for me. Like you, three of us "girls" (we're getting on a bit!)made it our night.It was opening night and the place was heaving. A meal, some wine and some more wine before the movie and some more wine and a box of chocolates during the movie :) I LAUGHED OUT LOUD soo much. (That Samantha is hysterical ha ha ha)And I cried lots too :( There were groups of youngsters there who thought the movie was a bit flat. "Wait till your my age" I said...then you'll know about it.

Anyway. Having been off work sick for a few weeks I knew what I'd be doing the very next day. I bought Series 1 and cosied under a blanket on the sofa and watched every episode. I was glad I missed the series on TV 'cause a marathon watch is super fab :) And of course, I rushed out the very next morning to buy Series 2. Same girl who served me thought i was returning the first..."Oh no! I want series 2!" I said. She laughed.

Anyway...I'm on Series 4 now and planning to hit the theatre soon to watch the movie AGAIN. Once is just not enough. I loved everything about it and the fact that it's New York City just makes it. I love New York and I'm always on a high when I see one of those trips on my roster (28th July. Yeh!!!!) And I have wonderful memories of a girlie trip there. We had a BLAST. (You ever eaten at The River Cafe? Brilliant view of Manhattan from across the river.)

Frienship. Yes. I remember when I was just a little girl my dad telling me to choose my friends carefully and to treasure them because they would always be important in my life. I don't know if it was his advice or if I just got really lucky, but I have wonderful friends and they've been there forever. Here's to them...and yours :)

Best wishes,

Miranda. OOPS! I mean Ruth :)

(Who are you Chudney? Me thinks you're Carrie. Am I right?)

Anonymous said...

Chudney,

Another great blog. Loved reading this as I have seen it twice!
So funny. Samantha is my favourite, she is hilarious!

So jelous that u got to watch it in New York. I have never been to New York :( but hoping to go real soon. Central Park looks so lovely, cant wait to go.

Glad u had a good night :)

Catch ya later,

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

p.s. (As if I've not written enough lol)...those guys were just soo miffed you turned them down...they got off lightly I think! :)

Rosser Ruth lol!

Anonymous said...

Chudney,

Thanks for the blog, you and your friend really did it up, and reenacted the movie in a way, with the roof of the hotel, I have got to get up there one day :). Blogs like yours make me determine to go.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun. I enjoyed the series a lot more than the movie. It was way too long! Don't you live in Malibu - you could have your very own Smith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

I am so happy that you had a great time in New York City and enjoyed the movie! New York is a great place, and I must say that it has been fun growing up on the the East Coast in the tri-state area. (I bet you would agree with that, too). Thanks again for another fabulous blog! - Mark

Anonymous said...

NO!! YOU DIDN'T FLIPPED THAT NASTY GUY THE BIRD THROUGH THE WINDOW!! YOU SHOWED HIM THE MIDDLE FINGER, YOU SASSY GIRL, YOU!! ....HEHE:)

chudneyfanforlife said...

Hey Chudney I think u did what u had to do in the situation u was in cause if some guys had said things to me in the way they did u and ur friend. I would have been ready to fight. This message is to the one that wrote about why chudney writes about drinkin and cursing people out that not good for a person who is writing children books. Well I want to give them a piece of my mind first of all chudney is human she has a life as well. I see no harm in what she wrote cause if u was in that situation u would have done the same thing probably worst. I hated when people try to put other people down like they are living such a perfect life. Chudney keep on writing sister and don't let these people negativity get u down. I will be glad when ur books come out. I am going to buy everyone that come out for my children.