Wednesday, June 4, 2008

ROWDY


Recently, I inherited a dog named ROWDY. My friend Natasha (the one I stay with when I teach skiing in Colorado) got an opportunity to move to New York and she was having a hard time finding a home for her less than well-behaved dog. I, being the kind hearted loving gal that I am, offered to take him and try to find him a good home. Her only other option seemed to be dropping him at a LA shelter, which would have meant that this cute dog would have been neglected, infested with fleas and eventually euthanized. It’s a sad system in animal shelters in cities and NOT a good option for any dog.

There are so many dogs and cats without homes that shelters are overwhelmed. Los Angeles kills more animals in its shelters than any another city in the United Sates (104,841 animals where put to death last year!) It’s so sad, but for that to change we must help figure out what to do with unwanted pets. We should not breed or buy from breeders (spay or neuter your animals) or abandon unwanted pets at shelters. Getting a pet is a major responsibility and requires a lot of forethought, so be responsible! If you’re looking for a pup there are a ton of amazing dogs at shelters that need to be saved and loved!

Now on a lighter note ☺ ROWDY is a Woodle (Wheaton Terrier and Poodle mix). He is a handsome, medium size dog with an ULTRA-playful demeanor. He’s carmel colored (like me) and has long, sexy legs (like a super model) Ha! Ha!

ROWDY is about a year and a half, so he’s still a puppy and very, very energetic. PEANUT (my main man) is a mature, talented, spoiled, 6 year old Silky Terrier that wants absolutely nothing to do with ROWDY. NOTHING! They have known each other since ROWDY was a puppy and PEANUT has never been a fan. PEANUT is more into lying in the sun, watching MTV and snuggling then running wild, ripping toys to shreds and eating everything in sight like ROWDY.

Though PEANUT has his angry and aggressive moments with him, ROWDY is growing on us (well, me at least). It’s fun to have a puppy in the house again and I’ve always wanted a second dog. It probably would have been easier on PEANUT had I gotten another dog when PEANUT was still a pup too, but I think he’ll get over it or at least accept the idea.

As for now, ROWDY is happily a part of our family and settling in just fine. ROWDY is FABULOUS!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a new foundation...LOL:)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha Chudney, Peanut will get over it, i have 3 dogs part of the poodle family Bischon Frise's and each time a new one came in there was always the rebuff lol but they are best pals now its just FABULOUS having dogs and i agree with you, keep as many dogs and cats out of the shelters as possible.

By the way it was FABULOUS to see a picture of Rowdy and please keep us all up to date on his and Peanuts antics lol.

Carol xxxx

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Cute Rowdy sounds like a character. Yes...keep dogs out of shelters and if you're interested you can support the NCDL (National Canine Defence League)...they look after unwanted dogs in their shelters whilst trying to re-home them. Unlike other shelters they don't believe in putting animals to sleep.

dalia said...

he's so cute. my little pup was taken from us too soon, and i'd love to have another. i've never heard of a woodle... the term made me giggle 'cause it's also my dad's friend's nickname. lol

Anonymous said...

That was nice of you to bring Rowdy into your family. He is just soo cute. Also, you are very right about the things that you said about the animal shelters. It's so cruel.

See ya next wednesday!

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

Rowdy is adorable! That was very kind of you to take him in and make him a part of your family! You are such a thoughtful person. I agree with you that it is sad that so many animals end up in shelters and are mistreated. I was reading an article in one of the newspapers a few weeks ago about this. The author explained that many pets are suffering due to the problems with the housing market and high interest rates on adjustable mortgages, and as people are forced to move or downsize, the pets are the first things to go. This is a major problem today. You have certainly given people good advice to try to solve this problem and make them aware that pets are a major responsibility. On a lighter note, it is too funny that Peanut does not want any part of Rowdy. It is amazing how dogs really have a mind of their own. My Golden loves to sleep, eat, play with tennis balls, go in the yard, beg for food, and be treated like a king! He always amazes me, and he is truly a part of my family. Dogs are fabulous! Good luck with Rowdy. Thanks for another wonderful post!
-Mark

Gene S. said...

Hi Chudney,
What a nice way to start the week with news of a pet rescue! I have two right now. Both are rescue as well as all my other pets that I have had. I taken in my tennant's pets, when for reason beyond me, couldn't care for them. There loss! The last rescue was a little puppy wandering down the street looking to make contact with anyone. I pick him up, washed and feed him and we immediatly bonded. Unforunatly he caught parvo, so after 5days stayed at Laurel pet hospital, in WeHo and a huge vet bills. He was good as new. I call him Hadad, it means basically noise and joy. So enjoy your newest family member! Gene

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,
How cute ...Well done. I rescued 2 dogs from Spain 3 years ago. It's great to have 2 dogs.
I think Peanut needs more time ...
What are you doing with the dogs when you're traveling?

XX
Carolin