Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MINI-VACATION - SAN DIEGO

I love to travel, but recently I’ve been trying to stay put to focus on my writing and save a little money. Last weekend, I got that travel itch and I wanted to go somewhere. My friends Kim and Cheryl were in SAN DIEGO for work and so I planned a MINI-VACATION!

SAN DIEGO is just far enough away to feel like you’re on vacation, but close enough to LA that you can go for just a night. Saturday after teaching music, I changed into my vacation wear (bikini, shorts, flip flops and sunglasses) and hit the open road. My MINI-VACATION started slooooow due to the traffic on the freeway (there’s ALWAYS traffic on the 405! UGH!) But as I got further south, traffic subsided. I opened the windows, let the wind fly thru my hair (actually I was wearing a hat to keep my hair from whipping across my face, but whatever… you get the point). My MINI-VACATION had officially begun!

I pulled off the freeway at Imperial Ave and headed straight to the new Hard Rock Hotel. The roof top pool/bar is the new SAN DIEGO hot spot for day and night! Kim and Cheryl were still working, but I knew I could entertain myself for a couple hours partying by the pool.

During the day, the pool is for hotel guest only and I was NOT one. Here is the trick to get into places you are not invited: Walk with confidence, like you know where you’re going and hope for the best! I marched through the lobby like I owned the place.

After getting lost in the modern, sexy, music themed lobby, I finally found the elevator and made my way to the rooftop pool. The sun was shining and my MINI-VACATION immediately kicked into high gear. I settled into a seat at the bar and stripped down to my new yellow polka dot bikini. I ordered a frozen lemonade from the gorgeous, bikini clad waitress. I found a recliner chair and melted away into relaxation. Kim joined me at the pool soon after and we flirted with perfectly toned and tanned boys as we soaked in the pool. As the sun set and my fingers and toes were good and pruned, we made our way back to her long-term suite hotel to shower and change for a night on the town.

We checked out a couple different spots for dinner before choosing a table at the bar of Lou and Mickey’s Steak House. We shared a delicious steamed artic hoke with pesto dipping sauce (Artichokes are FABULOUS!), chicken parmigan and broccoli (Mmmm…). After dinner, we met up with Cheryl and her 2 friends for cocktails at Moonstone Lounge in the Hard Rock Hotel (The same pool/bar we had been at earlier had converted into the evening’s hot spot under the stars). After a couple of cocktails, we decided to cruise the strip to check out some other bars. BAD IDEA!

In LA, a group of good looking women never has to wait in line and if you do it’s NOT worth it. I HATE WAITING IN LINE AND I NEVER PAY COVER CHARGES! That’s why I only like to go to places where I know someone at the door or I know I can walk right in with no hassle. It’s a real downer to have to wait for an hour to get past the velvet rope or pay $25 just to walk in. I have NO pull in SAN DIEGO and even worse a group of good-looking women in short skirts does NOT get you to the front of the line. We walked right past a couple of different spots with huge lines and expensive cover charges.

With sore feet and bad moods, we finally settled on J6-Bar on the roof of the J Hotel (No cover and no line). We had a couple drinks under the stars then went to meet Kim’s friend at Nicky Rotten’s, a dive bar on 5th street. By this time I was getting tired, so after Kim cut a rug with her friend, we headed out. By accident my feet came to a halt in front of a pizza joint (It should be illegal for them to be open at this hour!) I shoveled a sausage slice in my face before calling it a night. We headed back to the hotel and crashed out for the night.

Kim had to be up for work early, so I slept in (I can’t sleep past 8:30am at home thanks to my doggies’ schedule, so it was nice to lay in bed without them stepping on me and whining for a walk). I got dressed (bikini and shorts again) and headed to the rooftop for a free continental breakfast (bagel, fruit and coffee). I sat in the sun and caught up on Hollywood gossip in Us Weekly (This is my idea of a perfect, relaxing morning).

I packed up my car, bid the hotel farewell and headed to the library. Yes, I said library! I try to always make time for a little writing… even on a MINI-VACATION (also they have free internet and you know I like to check my email, myspace, facebook, TMZ, Young Hollywood, etc)!

Next stop, 5th street for a little shopping. I love a good bargain, so although I took a peek in Diesel and Bubbles boutique, I only shopped at The Pink Zone (a cheesy t-shirt shop). I bought 2 cute beach cover-ups and before meeting up with Cheryl, I swung back by my car to change into the black one.

On Sunday’s The Hard Rock Hotel throws a party called Intervention (at the Vegas Hard Rock its called Rehab). It’s WILD with a DJ, alcohol and scandalous bikini clad woman. Cheryl and I sauntered up to Security (It's like a nightclub by day) and we’re immediately turned away! No name on the guest list = No entry! (Losers!) We batted our eyelashes and tried to sweet talk our way in, but to no avail. We gave up (Their loss!) and met Cheryl’s friends at the J6-Bar pool. We mellowed out in the sun, swam and ate mini hamburgers and fries (healthy stuff is always important on a MINI-VACATION! Ha ha!).

Feeling tanned, relaxed and rested, I bid SAN DIEGO farewell and made my way back to LA. It was smooth sailing the whole way home! Always fun to get away for a minute!

MINI-VACATIONS are FABULOUS!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo' Ms.C!...I hate paying cover charges too...But I always have a back up plan (and it's not batting my eyelashes...LOL...even though they're long enough:)
I'm glad you had a great "mini"...Mine is coming soon! DAMN, THAT SOUNDS GOOD!!! Frozen Lemonade and mini-burgers...mmm...That's on my to do list, fa'sho! Keep ya posted!
yo'CHI'bro,
Keithm (kee-thum)

Gene S. said...

It seems that you had a great little vacation. I absolutely love san diego. Actually, we're thinking about retiring there. I live how brave you are, walking in like you own the joint. Now me, it would have been a very different story. I can just see myself waltzing through and the hotel's staff, looking at me as if i were Rodney King and me lookin at them as if they're L.A.P.D. HELPPPPPPPppppppp!!! LOL! That the different between a young beautiful lady and a Old, gravity has taken it toll, of a man! But I'm happy for you. I stay at home with my 2 dogs and made spaghetti. I really pig out!
Why someone who's playing God at the door in a nightclub wouldn't let, for lack of a better word, a Goddess in, must be a Pagan God. What a yuck! Glad you made it back safetly. Take care-Gene

Anonymous said...

Chudney--I am concerned about your drinking of alcohol especially with Mom's history of DUI in Tucson. Please drink responsibly and ask yourself if this is becoming an issue in your life.
Looking out for you,
Pistachio

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

What a tonic to wake up and get to read about San Diego :) As you know I get to travel lots with work and one of my best trips was when I took my mum and two of my sisters to San Diego for 5 days. What a beautiful place. We just loved it. Did you/have you been to The Coronado Hotel?(famous for being featured in the old Marilyn movie "Some Like It Hot") We spent an afternoon there drinking cocktails looking out to the ocean from that beautiful stretch of beach. Just beautiful! Your blog took me back :) Such wonderful memories. My mum suffers from Alzheimers now so all these memories are soo precious. Couldn't believe your blog was about San Diego. A perfect tonic indeed :)I LOVE when your blog is about your travels. Thanks Chudney!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing another great adventure!!!
Stay Blessed,
Vicky

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous.... dive bars are more fun most of the time anyway, cause you can just goof around w/ your friends, and they're not too crowded.

I want a frozen lemonade now.... yummmmy...... Chudney, you always do this to me!!!! You have a way with words when it comes to describing food..... and pretty much everything else too. :) You just have a way with words I guess. And you make me HUNGRYYYY.... yum yum yum yum yum

Sounds like a great time though. Mini-vaca's are the best... not long enough to get tired by it, so it's actually refreshing. thanks for posting. till next time....

Anonymous said...

Whassup Chudney--Detroit is beautiful too. Please come visit us and the Motown Museum. We would love a post.