Wednesday, May 21, 2008

TEAM ACTIVATE KICKBALL


I like to think of myself as a pretty healthy gal. I mean… I try to eat well, I work out and I try not to over indulge in alcohol, caffeine or fast food. One thing I have never been able to do though is take vitamins! I can never seem to work them into my daily routine and swallowing handfuls of pills makes me gag. Some people get their daily vitamin intake with supplement powders like Emergen-C, but I don’t like the taste. Other people love vitamin waters, but the truth is they are full of sugar and tons of calories. As I get older, I know it’s important to give my body the vitamins and nutrients it needs and I have finally found a great option!

It’s called ACTIVATE! Recently, I began working with the new drink company. ACTIVATE is a functional beverage that gives your body a powerful dose of vitamins and nutrients with no preservatives, no sugar, only 5 calories, and a surprisingly good taste (No joke! It really does taste good)!

ACTIVATE is cool because it’s got a unique moisture resistant compartment in the cap that keeps the active ingredients fresh. Vitamins deteriorate sitting in water (Vitamin Water is basically like just drinking sugar water because the nutrients have been sitting in the water for long periods of time), so by storing them in a dry place they stay fresh until they’re released (plus its fun and looks cool when they drop into the water). Twist, shake, ACTIVATE!
For more information visit: www.activatedrinks.com

I recently joined ACTIVATE’S KICKBALL team. Yes, people! I said KICKBALL. Kickball is predominately played in elementary school gyms. It’s like softball only you kick a big, red, rubber ball. I hated it in elementary school because someone would always throw that stupid red ball and hit me in the head, knock off my glasses and not only leave me OUT, but also crawling around like a blind person in the dirt to find my broken glasses. I would later have to tape my glasses together and re-place them on my nose. I didn’t like it! Well, now that I wear contacts and I’m A LOT more physically fit than that little scrawny geek, I was stoked to play.

It’s also fun to be a part of a team again (I played varsity basketball and ran cross country in high school and rowed Crew in college). I was excited for this fun and active social outlet.

WAKA, World Adult Kickball Association is a social-athletic organization created to bring the joy of kickball to the world. Each team plays in a division for their area (ACTIVATE is in the Hollywood division) and at the end of the season, each area holds a tournament to crown one team as the area champ. Championship Tournaments are then held in Las Vegas to crown the world champion (This is serious, people)! I was excited to be a part of it.
For more information or to join a team in your area visit: www.kickball.com

GAME ONE –
I was a little nervous as I hit the field that first night. I hadn’t played since elementary school and I didn’t know many people on the team. I felt self conscious like I had reverted back to the geek I was in elementary school (minus the glasses), but everyone was super nice and soon after arriving my nerves disappeared and I was ready to play. I took the field (far, far, far in the outfield) in hopes of staying away from the action. Sure enough, as I was chatting to another gal also hiding in the outfield, that damn ball came flying through the sky towards us. She ran off with a scream, but I kept my eye on it and prepared to catch it, BUT I dropped the ball (I suck!) I had arrived late, so I was last on the roster to kick. The game finished before I could even show my skills. We won 3 to 1… no thanks to me!

GAME TWO -
I arrived at the field for GAME TWO feeling way more confident and ready to show my skills (and on time). Before the game we chatted, hung out and sipped ACTIVATES. The other team was totally practicing and running drills, which made us a little worried about their high level skills. In the end, we had nothing to worry about! I didn’t drop (or touch) any balls on the field and I got to kick twice. I scored both times! I was pretty awesome if I say so myself ☺ We won 9 to 1! I got 2 of our 9 runs! UNDEFEATED!!

GAME THREE –
The Sunday before GAME THREE, I pulled my thigh muscles chasing my new dog, Rowdy with heels on (high heels are meant for fashion, not jogging is what I learned)! When I arrived at the field, they started feeling tight again. It was cold out, so I stretched a little and tried to warm everything up. I took the field for the first inning and that damn red ball came flying right at me on that first kick. I jumped up and bolted towards it and felt the pull in my thighs. OUCH! Being the competitive (stupid) girl that I am, I continued to play (I should have headed home to ice, but I felt stupid that I had screwed up my legs playing such a low impact game). When it was my turn to kick, I bunted the ball and ran my little heart out towards first base. My legs hurt so much I couldn’t run fast, so they got out… luckily (because I literally could barely walk). I hobbled to the bathroom hoping to stretch it out, but to no avail. I had to go home! I said good-bye and wished TEAM ACTIVATE good luck! Sadly, they lost and even worse my legs still hurt and now I have to sit out for next week’s game ☹.

Get out there and be ACTIVE (be sure to stretch!) and drink ACTIVATE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE kickball at school. Shame about your leg :( Hope it gets better soon.

Lol Vitamin tablets, I used to hate taking them too. I did start taking them but only lasted 2 days! To much hassle having to remind yourself twice a day to take them. I always forgot.

Want to see a pic of Rowdy! :) What breed is he?

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

It is great that you are on the Activate Kickball Team. I hope that your leg feels better soon!!!! It is an awful feeling when you hurt your legs and back and can't move. (I hurt my back a few weeks ago, but I am better now.) I also dislike taking vitamins. I will have to try the Activate drink. Good luck with your new dog, Rowdy. I bet Peanut likes having a new friend to play with. I can't wait to see a picture of him! Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Yes, summer (my favorite season)is finally here! -Mark

Anonymous said...

Cool that you have 2 dogs now. Is Rowdy also a small dog like Peanut? Write your next blog about your dogs. Regards Tim