Wednesday, April 16, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO


Since I grew up mostly in New York and Connecticut the majority of my childhood friends are still on the East Coast. However, two of my high school friends Casey and Kim recently settled in SAN FRANCISCO. I’ve been meaning to visit for months, but for some reason it still seems like a trek from LA (plus its always so cold) so I kept putting it off.

A couple months ago my friend Casey got engaged and 6 weeks ago my friend Kim had her second baby so I thought now was a good time to stop my whining and finally make the trip. The drive is an easy 5 hours, but when I checked online the flights on Virgin America where soooooo cheap! Only $39 each way (Virgin America is FABULOUS)! I rented a car on cheaptickets.com (I love a good bargain) and just like that the trip was planned (for less money than I would have paid for gas in my gas guzzling Land Rover)!

I flew in Tuesday afternoon and headed out to see Kim and the babies! She lives in a town called Burlingame right outside the city. Burlingame is cute! It reminds me of the East Coast with all of its trees and grass.

Kim and I cruised Burlingame Main Street for a mellow mommy day. We got manicures and pedicures at Pinkies, filled bags of sour gummies and chocolate turtles at the candy store (I ate so much candy I felt sick!) and did a little shopping.

That afternoon, I played instruments with Kim’s son Andrew (he’s almost 2) and snuggled with her new baby Katie (she’s sooo tiny! Just 6 weeks old!) I WANT BABIES SO BAD (My biological clock is ticking seriously loud! Ha ha!)

We ordered Thai food and watched American Idol (Go David Archeletta! He’s my fav!) A mellow night, but perfect break from my party ways ☺. The next morning, we took the doggy for a hike, ate lots of bacon and a little toast (So much for my Zone Diet! Ha ha!) Then, I headed off to the city!

Casey and her fiancĂ© Greg had wedding planning appointments in the morning, so I headed to The Grove (my new favorite coffee shop) in the Marina. I did a bit of writing, chatted with locals and window shopped on Chestnut Street. I got slightly lost on all those damn hilly streets, but finally met Casey and Greg for a late lunch. We had pre-lunch cupcakes at That Takes The Cake (I had a red velvet mini-cupcake that was to die for). I could have eaten 12 of them, but instead we chowed on salads at Rose’s CafĂ©, then hit up Coco Bella for some fancy chocolates (I’m still full!)

Later that afternoon, Casey brought me to Sports Mart, a discount sporting good store (You know, I love a good bargain) where I bought my first pair of spinning shoes (They are white and light blue and very sexy!)

Back at Casey and Greg’s pad, I got settled and showered before we headed out to Jones sports bar to meet some friends of Casey’s. After a couple of beers and apps (Mmmmm…. Fried bar food is FABULOUS), we headed to Balboa restaurant and bar for more cocktails and food. We met up with my friend Kim from LA and Jen, an old friend from the East Coast. Stuffed and tipsy, Casey and I grabbed a cab home around midnight.

The next morning, we woke with hangovers, but dragged our asses to a spinning class anyways. Better to work it out of your system than sit in bed and waste the day (plus I had to try out my new shoes!) I’ve never actually done a full hour spinning class. At YAS (check out my work out blog February 13th, 2008) I only spin for 30 minutes. The extra half hour was not the best idea to try with a hangover! I pedaled my little heart out while trying not to puke all over Greg’s bike right in front of me! (Oh… and everyone was totally jealous of my new sexy spinning shoes for sure!)

After a quick shower and a little rest to recoup, I headed out to meet my new friend Matthew from myspace (I know, I know BUT it was in a public place, people. he he!) for coffee at the Coffee Bean and lunch at a Mediterranean spot on Fillmore street. The weather was amazing (compared to the usual chilly wind in SAN FRAN), the food was ok and my new friend was nice (I’m starting to like San Fran a little more!)

Matthew and I cruised the shops on Fillmore where I picked up an engagement present for Casey and Greg (A white orchid). There was a person dressed in a skunk costume in the window of the Marc Jacobs store(random)! I think it was a ploy to get people to come in and shop. Matthew and I took pics sitting on his lap (so funny!) I bid Matthew farewell with “let’s keep in touch” hug. Then, it was time for a little writing. I went to The Grove on Fillmore (There’s two of these great coffee shops!) and sat outside with my computer. I didn’t get a lot done, but it was nice to sit and enjoy the day.

That night Casey, Greg and I went to meet my old friend Amy (from Junior high) at Spruce for a drink then headed to dinner at Mamacitas (I love Mexican food and Sangria and margaritas, oh my!) with Casey’s friend Jen. I think I may have enjoyed the yummy food too much because I overate and felt sick! We continued to a bar called Le Club, but I could barely breathe in my jeans and felt nauseous (UGH!) so we headed home soon after. Back at the house, I packed up my bags and passed out clutching my full belly.

My flight was early the next morning and I flew over the Golden Gate Bridge (Gorgeous!) I realized that I may be taking a liking to SAN FRANCISCO. This trip was FABULOUS! Good food, great friends and beautiful weather. What else can a girl ask for ☺

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney,

I am glad that you had such a fabulous time in San Francisco! It is always nice to visit friends and catch up on old times. I am sure that they were very happy to see you. It is always fun to travel to different places and see new things. San Francisco sounds wonderful! I have heard this from many people over the years. Thanks for the great update and all of your work on this blog! I look forward to reading your adventures each week. -Mark

Anonymous said...

Very interesting story Chudney. I live in New Jersey and I have always wanted to have a "New York day" Where I go to the Museum, Park, See a play, have dinner, People watch .Just do fun simple stuff. So this story inspires me to do that :)

OneEyedPony said...

Ditch the skunk-ware..... I want to see you NAKED!

Glad you had fun cruising the Bay area - YOU GO GIRL!

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Well, well, well Chudney! :) A song comes to mind lol "I Left My Heart...in San Francisco..."....

I love Chestnut Street...I love San Fran and am heading there on Mat(oops!) May 28th.

Thanks for another great read...love it when it's about a place I've been to.

x

Anonymous said...

Chudney--you still have time with your biological clock. Remember Miss Diana Ross had the boys (Ross and Evan) at age 45! (and surprised us all when she looked so trim in the Dirty Looks video on VH1! when she was preggers). You go girl.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Miss Ross is coming to the Hollywood Bowl this summer. Take me now! PLEASE make sure the video screens are on for this appearance. Please also show the video clips from Lady Sings the Blues and Mohagany (My favorite pic), and the early years and Central Park.

Anonymous said...

I've never met anyone (besides myself) who talks about food so much, and isn't overweight. I love it!!

(You always make me hungry reading you're posts.... yummm.... sour gummies and salad.)

Simone said...

I want to visit San Francisco so badly. Since I move to L.A in 2 months, I'll get the chance too. Love the blog Chudney!

Anonymous said...

We must talk about the baby thing. Of course I want to have sweet babies with you, but not so very soon. In the way like you talked, we must jump in bed very soon (after we met each other for the first time in life). That's not my thing. I would like to explore you a little bit before we do the deed. You can give birth to our kids also in 2 or 3 years, okay?


The Man of your Dreams


ps: Please pray also to God, that we meet each other so soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney,

I had been away for a while, so it was cool to come back to two blogs instead of one, your trip to San Francisco sounded like a lot of fun, you do a great job of taking your readers into your day, I always look forward to reading what you write. I share your sentiment towards food, I live and breathe it, and it shows, I am now looking for a gym that fits my schedule, and I am slowly changing my eating habits, giving up Hardees and the Cheesecake Factory will be tough, but health and wallet will be better. But I still plan to get to Philadelphia one day for an authentic cheesesteak sandwich:). See ya next Wednesday.

PS: I can actually taste the red velvet cupcake after your description :)

Anonymous said...

You sound like so much fun to be with...

Jason

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud,

San Francisco is very charming. Thanks for for the stroll down memory lane. I haven't seen that city or my grandma(who is near there) since I was 14! Atlanta is a long ways away. Hope you had fun with Matthew....still be careful ;0)

Give Love,
Anj

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, Chudney. I was just about to pack my bags except I remembered there's a job waiting for me in the morning. I'll definitely hit some of your favorite spots the next time I'm the Bay area. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

it was kinda odd reading this only because i have a friend named casey who date/d a guy named greg. not as cool as your friends seem, but it's a very interesting roller coaster ride. everytime i read the names 'casey' and 'greg' i just kept seeing my friends. LOL