Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A GRASS ROOTS ASPEN EXPERIENCE


I just got home from another trip to Aspen. Sorry for the delay in blog posts ☺ I’m feelin a little under the weather. UGH! I hate being sick!

I took a couple weeks off from my LA life to teach skiing and play in the snow with friends in ASPEN! The 12-hour drive is killer and working on the mountain everyday and partying every night can wear a girl out! BUT skiing down the slopes on a warm, sunny day with the wind in my hair reminds me of how fortunate I am to live the life that I lead. I get to live at the beach and play in the mountains without a care in the world (well, maybe a couple, but not too many to keep under control)! I have friends to laugh with, family to love and people who believe in me and support me. I’m a lucky girl!

The mountains wake up something inside of me. I think they can be an amazing place to heal, nurture and change people for the better! A couple years ago, I volunteered to teach skiing to inner city children with a FABULOUS program called A GRASS ROOTS ASPEN EXPERIENCE. Not only is it an amazing program that helps thousands of children, it touched and changed me and my ASPEN experience forever!

ASPEN is known for the glitz and glamour. It’s an ultra expensive outdoor playground for the rich and famous (Maria Carey, Will Smith, Kate Hudson and Jack Nicholson are among the many celebs often spotted on the slopes), BUT it is much more than that for these teenagers that are brought to ASPEN each year.

A GRASSROOTS ASPEN EXPERIENCE is a program designed to save lives by empowering young people to make positive choices. At-risk teens from all over the United States come to Aspen learn to ski and snowboard. Each is pushed to step outside their comfort zones with challenging physical activities in a supportive group environment. It is evident that each gets a boost in their self-esteem and their personal development, which hopefully can give each of them the courage and confidence to confront the obstacles they face at home.

Usually, I work with young kids (I teach skiing to 2 - 10 year olds) so I was a bit nervous to work with inner city teens on the mountain. I teach using little people accessible terms (like pizza for a snow plow and french fries for parallel skis), but when I saw how excited they were and that they were more nervousness than I was, I couldn’t help but be open and excited to work with them.

I worked with a young group of girls who hadn’t skied before. I talked pizzas and french fries and they picked it up little by little and laughed while taking in the experience. They got frustrated, but supported each other. They were so open like little sponges soaking in the love and support from everyone on the mountain.

Each evening, the program conducts “rap sessions” where the kids share their stories and struggles from home. For me, this was the most amazing and touching part of the program. All the instructors were invited to listen and participate. I would cry along with the kids (I am a BIG crier) and support them with hugs at the end. The amazing GRASS ROOTS coordinators would help them fight through the pain to find a way to transform their day’s successes on the mountain into confidence and courage to confront their obstacles at home.

Each year, kids who might never have left their troubled neighborhoods confront and conquer their obstacles on the mountain and return home with the confidence, ability and determination to achieve goals they never thought possible.

I for one will never forget my involvement in this FABULOUS program and wish all the best to each of the teens that participate from year to year. A GRASS ROOTS ASPEN EXPERIENCE is a FABULOUS program!

For more information please visit www.ayexp.org

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did some great work with the inner city kids during your time in Aspen! I am sure that you had a very positive impact on their lives, and this will be an experience that they will always treasure. You might have been able to give them some of the confidence that they needed in order to help them go for their dreams in life. Keep up the great work!

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Chudney,

I REALLY enjoyed reading about this program. How rewarding, eh? One of my first work experiences in my student days was with young offenders (drugs mainly)...it really opens your eyes to how fortunate many of us are. I honestly think those kids would have been so fortunate to have you involved...the right person for the job me thinks :)

x

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

p.s. Welcome back ;)

lol

x

Anonymous said...

Chud here is a tip for you in regards to "inner city kids." I work with Urban youth and I've learned that they may not have the money and the opportunity some of us have but they are rich with common sense and I strongly doubt that they trade it in for any amount of money and vacations. Next time you work with them pretend that they are just like you and you'll find it easier to get along with the older crowd. Gotta go and good luck!

bungee

Anonymous said...

One of the happiest moments of my life was the one time I went skiing. Those are terrific pictures.

Veronica said...

I think it is great Chudney that you involve yourself with these kids! I'm so glad that you gave them a chance to talk and share experiences. Sometimes just being heard makes a big difference!! I'm glad there are people like you in this world. I'm also glad you are who you are, and do what you do. Keep writing girl-and I'll keep reading!! Veronica

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney, you know what, you are one hell of a person in your own right and how commendable of you to do the things you do with these kids.

Keep up the good work, you are a one in a million, oh, and welcome back, i have really missed your blogs.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back! This is one of my favorite places to visit. Your ski experience was so warm and wonderful. Just to think that you have touched so many lives. How may futures are so much brighter since you came along. Proves that all the rich and famous are not shallow and mean. You do your family proud. May GOD bless you for doing such wonderful, selfless, inspiring deeds.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud!

Loved reading this weeks blog!

I have always fancied skiing but have never been, hopefully will get to go one day.

Keep blogging!

Ps. Will be checking in tomorrow for Sunday check in ;)

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud,

Whats up with you wanting to be like Paris Hilton. Kid don't even go there your a lot smarter than Hilton. And besides why waisting time on something thats not even real. What you did with the childeren was really great, we should hook up someday if am not to busy and i will show you more, because i see you working and vollunteering in projects that really makes you good in the inside as well in the outside. And do be careful not everybody is a friend you know some just use you because your a kid of .. you know...! what ever you do ,always remeber that there two types of friends, the once who really advice you in doing good things and those who would really want you to fall on your face. But what ever happens stay true to yourself..

See yeah

Rage

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney!

Thanks for sharing with us your work in Aspen with the inner city kids. It is a great thing you are doing and I admire you even more for doing so.

How cool to do such a good thing and also be in the midst of such a scenic and exciting place as Aspen. Goodness and Glamour together!!

How's your children's book coming along? Look forward to seeing it.

Have a great week ahead and look
forward to your next writing.

Love,
Tarquin in LA

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud...keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

wow, i had no idea you worked with this program. i've always read up about it--have the site bookmarked. i would love to volunteer with something like that, but i've never been to aspen, nor do i know how to ski. LOL. did you just do the program or stick around for the celeb race, auctions, and parties? i heard they were so much fun.