Wednesday, February 27, 2008

FREEBIES


Celebrities are always getting free stuff at gifting suites and parties. Being that I’m not a big name (YET), I rarely get FREEBIES but when I do, I’m truly appreciative and ecstatic! I think FREEBIES are FABULOUS.

My access into the world of FREEBIES started with getting the hand-me-down gift bags from my mom. Mom would search through the Oscar, Grammy, BET gift bags (she’s not a real party hopper these days, but the ones she does hit usually have some sweet gift bags). She would take the few things she wanted then pass them off to me. She never wants the gift certificates, so I usually have a lot of free hair cuts, manicures and once I got free eyelash extensions (which were cool for about an hour till I cried them off my face. I was having a bad day). I also have more bags, t-shirts and lip glosses than one girl can handle (most usually end up at the clothing swap , in friends closets or at Good Will).

Tracee gets a lot of freebies too and I’m a lucky, lucky girl because we are the same size! Tracee once hosted a Super Bowl party for NIKE and I got a free pair of custom designed sneakers with my name on them (you can a get a pair too from www.nikeid.com, but you have to pay).

Evan’s recently started raking in some good swag too and being the sweetheart he is, he always tries to snag some for his sis. He got me some brown Uggs recently (which I wear ALL the time. I actually have them on my feet right now!!)

I’ve haven’t been invited to too many gifting suites, but the ones I’ve been lucky enough to get into have been FABULOUS! It’s like an extreme shopping spree but you never have to open your wallet. The first one I went to was by the store Lisa Kline at the Young Hollywood party at Area nightclub. I was so confused and thrown off by them just giving all these designer duds away, that I felt bad taking anything! I took a long sleeve shirt with cherries on it and headed into to the party (I’m not scared of free drinks at an open bar)! The BET gifting suites were awesome too. My whole family got Fendi sunglasses and watches, Jawbone bluetooths, ionic hair products and much more. It was exciting!

Most of the FREEBIES I get are actually not free at all. I work for my free stuff! A lot of my modeling career has been for trade (I model in your fashion show you give me clothes). Of course I could use a big paycheck now and then (a girl’s got to pay her bills), but working for trade ain’t bad… you should see how stocked my closet is!

I walked in two shows for one of my favorite LA designers, Meghan FABULOUS (www.meghanfabulous.com). Her dresses are hip, sexy and yes, FABULOUS! She’s given me like 6 dresses, one of which I wore so many times to events (LA Fashion Week, New Years and my birthday), I finally had to retire it! Now, it hangs in the back of my closet because I love it so much I could never give it away.

Last year, I walked in a show for Samora (www.samoradesigns.com), a French designer who shows her feminine, sexy designs every year at LA Fashion Week. She gave me 4 dresses specially made for me and even custom fit them to my body! FABULOUS!

Li Cari (www.shoplicari.com) is a 19-year old up-and-coming LA fashion designer. They are actually doing a TV show about her and she often shows her flirty designs in small fashion shows. I attended a couple of her shows and walked in one last season. She’s given me 2 dresses and a pencil skirt and lace top which I LOVE! She has also offered to dress me for events which is awesome because you can wear a great outfit once, get photographed in it then return it for something new! (I’ve done this at stores and they don’t appreciate it! Ha!)

Recently, I shot a catalog for a new very cool denim company called Desert Blue (www.desertblue.com). My friend Sona, works for them and asked if I would be one of their models. In exchange, I got 6 pairs of jeans, a high-waisted pencil skirt, 3 shirts, a jacket and jeans for my sister. I totally raked it in!!

I’ve even gotten FREEBIES for my writing. I wrote a “So Sey” (fashion scoop article) for a Seychelles Shoe company’s website. I met the owners at a fashion week event. We hit it off and they asked if I wanted to write something for their website (check it out at www.seychellesfootwear.com) In exchange, I got 4 cute pairs of heels. Recently, I went to a party at their warehouse and he hooked me up again with a sweet pair of boots.

Fashion week is another great way to get fun gift bags and FREEBIES. The first two rows of the fashions shows usually have gifts on them (which is why they are the most coveted seats). I’ve gotten everything from sunglasses to bikinis, hair products to panties. LA Fashion Week is held at Smashbox Studios so there is always a lot of make up FREEBIES in the bags too. I love the lip gloss and mascara! At Miami Fashion Week, I met Rachel from Havianas and got to custom make a pair of flip-flops, which was cool!

Lately, from my website and myspace, new companies have been contacting me and asking if they can send me FREEBIES to try out their products. I LOVE FREEBIES so of course I am always game! Alexandria from Frosty Trinkets sent me the cutest crystal encrusted Hello Kitty compact mirror (check them out at www.shopfrostytrinckets.com) Lefteris Natural, a new Australian skin care line sent me a bunch of bath and body products. I love the shower gel and the lotion and the cool pump bottles (check them out at www.lefterisnatural.com).

FREEBIES are FABULOUS and I, for one am always hoping for more

5 comments:

Forsyth Exposed said...

Hey Chudney! Dont worry, you will soon be getting your free stuff very soon. Trust! If you dont already realize it your a star!.. I love you , I love your family .. Be blessed honey!..

Ashland Nicole
www.ashland86.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Chud if they have it, grab it is what I always say. I think its stupid when celebs get criticized for taking these things because if it were me you'd see mad photos with me with my hands full.

Bungee

Anonymous said...

Chudney--you should be helping the poor people on skid row or in Detroit. That type of work is far more "fabuous" than gift bags. For a Georgetown girl I would expect more substance. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Chudney, sorry, but I give up. I am walking away. You are way too old to be working for "Young" Hollywood and worrying about a free manicure. Bye !!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Let's be honest...who doesn't love freebies??? Those who criticize people for getting swag are simply jealous! LOL!

If companies want to give out goodies to help promote their brand, what's wrong with that? It's a give and take relationship. Celebs like you and your family will help promote their clothing, etc. if people see you guys wearing it, they'll be more inclined to buy it because we live in an celebrity-obsessed nation.

I know I've been happy when I get gift bags from parties and events. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting swag!! Go for it! :-)