Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MUSIC


You know… its funny that having come from such a musical family (my mother is a singer if u didn’t already know) I am not more passionate about MUSIC. I mean I listen to MUSIC and I love to sing along. I can carry a tune and I’ve even been known to rock out at a couple Karaoke bars (My song of choice- I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor). I listen to my ipod and I sing in the shower. I even teach MUSIC and creative movement in pre-schools and an early childhood development MUSIC program called MUSIC together. I like MUSIC, but I am by no means a MUSIC hound.

Basically, I just like MUSIC I can sing along with; MUSIC that makes me relaxed or picks me up when I’m down or motivates me to run for another 30 minutes. My ipod is filled with the most random mix of songs of all genres and styles. I would say I have eclectic MUSIC taste.

I spent much of my childhood backstage at my mom’s concerts. Singing along and making up dances in the wings of stadiums around the globe (I know every word to everyone of her songs including the Lady Sings The Blues ones). I will always love and appreciate my mother’s MUSIC as well as the Motown sound and all the greats (Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, The Jackson Five…)

My first record, which I played on repeat was Michael Jackson. He is an icon like no other. Yes, he has become a big strange in years past, but you can’t deny this man’s amazing talent. (I have met him a couple times and he is a sweet, kind soul that I could NOT imagine hurting anyone). I still fill with joy at the first few bars of Thriller or Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough. There is not one song that this man created that doesn’t make me wanna sing along or get up and dance. I love MICHAEL JACKSON.

In high school, I went thru a peaceful period (growing up in Connecticut I was influenced by the MUSIC my preppy, country club friends liked). I shook my hands and hair and danced like a hippy to The Grateful Dead (without the drugs), Dave Matthews Band, Samples, Hootie and The Blowfish, Counting Crows. My family was bewildered by the odd choice of tunes that blared through my stereo. I still love a good hippy tune like while driving long distances.

When I graduated from high school, I left my hippy music behind and became a cheesy pop lover. I didn’t drink, but I would love to go to the local college bars (Champions, The Tombs and Third Edition) and dance my little heart out. Anything the DJ would spin was my new favorite tune. I even went through a die-hard Britney Spears stage. Once I threw myself the sweetest (most nauseatingly cheesy) Britney birthday party with everything pink and Britney themed (no, I am not embaressed about this and yes, I was a bit old! HA!) I feel really sad for her right now and I truly hope she finds her way.

For some reason when I’m feeling down, I like to listen to show tunes. Seriously, nothing lifts the spirits more than belting out “I’m Not Wearing Underwear Today” from Avenue Q or “Defying Gravity” from Wicked or “Seasons of Love” from Rent. Try it! Your neighbors or roommates may think your nuts, but it will totally help lift your spirits!

Country always tells the most amazing stories. I have to say that the plucky guitar and the southern accents are not really my cup of tea, BUT I am slightly obsessed with the Dixie Chicks. “I’m Not Ready To Make Nice” was once my break up anthem and “Wide Open Spaces”… so true! Sometimes we just need “to find a dream and a life of our own, a place in the clouds, a foundation of stone.” I am also loving Carrie Underwood’s (3 cheers to American Idol) “Before He Cheats”! Ok, so maybe I totally love country MUSIC after all!

Embarrassingly enough, you may even find me singing along to The Back Street Boys or Color Me Badd or even Celine Deon. I have it all on my ipod and once I pick up some lyrics I cant help but sing along (even if I don’t love the song).

Right now on my most played list: Robin Thicke (He is extremely hot with his sexy songs. I can’t believe he is the son of Alan Thicke!) Maroon 5 (I love their unique sound and cool tunes… they are not bad on the eyes either) Alycia Keys (This girl can not put out a song that sucks! Amazing!) Lauren Hill (She’s an all around amazing talent. Her voice is piercing and the lyrics awesome.) Natasha Beddingfield (I’m loving her right now with her uplifting songs that are so catchy and cool to sing along with) Leona Naess (Leona is my stepsister and I love her! She is an amazing guitarist and songwriter. Check her out!)

Ok… so maybe MUSIC is not my passion, but I DO love it. It courses through my veins and sways through my soul. I rock to the beat and hum right along. It can change your mood, motivate you and draw you to you feet to dance and move.

MUSIC is FABULOUS!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chudney-I really believe that Michael Jackson looked to your Mom Diana as his hero but...all the weridness that happened after his peak is so, so sad. In Motown 25, Diana was so wild for him. Afterall, Diana "discovered" Michael they say...

Anonymous said...

Chudney
For you!
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/marvin+gaye+ain%2Ct/video/x68dr_marvin-gaye-aint-no-mountain_music

Anonymous said...

Love your music choices. I am a Motown fanatic! Nothing can surpass the Motown sound. I'm also into classic R&B and Disco. I like Michael Jackson too and can't wait for his new CD! Wil.I.Am from the Black Eyed Peas will be doing some of the producing. Love the Peas too. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Showtunes. I've been to break into 'And All That Jazz' or 'Mister Cellophane' while walking through the mall.

Anonymous said...

I love me some Diana and Leona Naess! I hope to see Leona N. in concert one day; missed her at the Living Room some time ago; have two of her cds.

Can't wait to see Miss Diana Ross on 2/12 (my husband's birthday...what a gift for him..LOL)in Houston, TX. I told the husband..."forget about going to AZ or Cali to see Diana at the end of year, we'll wait for Feb (we are way to busy, and he had the nerve to tell me we saw her 2times in '07). Anyhoo, when I told him the date with all my excitement, I didn't pay attention to "what day it was"! He thought that was real funny, and will oblige me seeing the grand diva in person, once again. :) I also like Sarah Vaughan and Amy Winehouse...I like Britney's Toxic...that shiznit is on rotation for my ringtone/backs. Word! Daft Punk is cool too. I like a lot of stuff actually.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney,

I am 37 and have been a huge fan of both Diana Ross & Michael Jackson since I was 6. I always felt as if I had grown up with you and your sisters.

I just wanted to say that is saddened me to read your comments on MJ's supposed "strangeness". I have never met him (or DR), though I would love to. However, I don't feel it is right or even kind to label someone as "not normal".

I really relate to him in a lot of ways. Many people in my life, family included, consider me to be strange or weird. I like different things, and that makes me different to many. But that doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else.

You and the entire world are entitled to your opinions, but I just don't think that weirdness is a fair assessment of a person's personality. You are lucky to have met him and to have such a wonderful mother as you have. Please remember that everyone has a heart and has feelings.

Erika V. Saunders

Anonymous said...

chudney--it's not being mean to call Michael Jackson "strange". It's a true statement. All the surgery etc. (not to mentione the other stuff) I believe he started to get odd around the time he wrote "Eaten Alive" for you Mom during the RCA years. In fact, he wouldn't even go to dinner after the recording session they say.

Anonymous said...

Chudney Baby, I agree with you about the strange Michael Jackson thing. Everybody knows that Michael Jackson is totally unhappy what he has done to his body. Yes his album 'Thriller' was tha bomb.

I like your stepsister Leona Naess, she's a great performer. I've seen her many years ago as an opening act for Eagle-Eye Cherry. She was amazing good. Her daddy and a blonde woman (on his side) were in the audience very close to me.

Your music taste is so fabulous like yourself! One thousand kisses for you! I Love You!

Anonymous said...

Chudney--Do you the words to "Experience"? I just found the video on you tube and downloaded from I Tunes. What a beautiful song and Diana looks great in the video--all glammed out. The Best Years of Her Life for sure.

Anonymous said...

Chudney, let me just say that just because your mom is a singer and an icon, it doesn't mean that you or your siblings have to be into music in that way. Your path in life is your own as I'm sure you already know, and you're doing your own thing which is wonderful.

Let me also say, that I was a little disappointed by your comments about Michael Jackson. You know, everyone goes through periods in their lives that others may not understand. Michael is an icon and a legend and he deserves so much respect. I can name countless individuals in the music industry right now who have been influenced by his music and he was and is a pioneer in his field. He's opened doors for others and he's a trail blazer like no other. He doesn't deserve to be called "strange". Especially when it appears you empathize with Britney Spears. I like Britney, and I wish her the best. But her behavior can certainly be characterized as strange, yet you wished her the best. There's something not quite right about that IMO.

CHUDNEY ROSS said...

I have chosen to remove the statement "though undeniably not normal," from my comments about Michael Jackson. I apologize for provoking people regarding this.

I love Michael Jackson and that was the point. I do not ever mean to bring anger or sadness threw my words.

Who is really "normal" anyways?

Thank you all for reading and for always adding your wonderful comments and insight :)

Anonymous said...

I thought your words were appropriate. You didn't say anything mean at all. No, Michael Jackson doesn't fit tje term,"normal" by any means. That isn't a cruel judgement made against him. There are other words and nicknames that have been used to describe him and those terms were cruel and mean. His actions speacks volumes. Great artist though. No need for apologies in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Chud have you ever listen to Corrin Bailly Ray, I think that how she spells it, She's a singer from the UK my ex-girlfriend took me to a show in NY and she was great.

Black.Lady.Diana said...

You Rock and I LOVE your music variety!=)

Anonymous said...

chudney--Michael Jackson is NOT normal. For goodness sake, just look at him. The nose, the surgeries, the abuse allegations, the seclusion. There was likely child abuse in that family. Even La Toya shows signs.

Anonymous said...

chudney--it's OK to provoke people. That's a sign of mature discourse. Have you done any charity work or worked with the poor in Detroit or in skid row in LA?

Anonymous said...

There are many different levels of what is considered "normal." Some people fall at the lower levels of accepted normality. I would have to say Michael Jackson is in that group. He sure ain't like the rest of the world.

Regarding his not ever wanting to hurt anyone, yes, I do believe he would never intentionally hurt anyone. Yet, some people can be hurt and injured unintionally and without the person understanding the long-term damage they are causing.

Anonymous said...

chudney--i admire your courage in posting responses to your blog including some that may be considered controversial. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Re: Michael Jackson--I am in the camp that thinks he has some major issues to deal with in private therapy

Anonymous said...

Chudney--Just to make sure you are aware. There is a new video on TMZ now stating "Miss Ross Booed in Jamaica". Apparently, Diana didn't want any cameras on her during the performance. I don't want to give you bad news but this saddened me. I love Diana. I miss those TV screens that she used in Central Park in 1983. With all respect, Diana looks great but could use a personal trainer to bring back that Diana figure of 1980 when she was at her prime. Again...I don't want to sound mean;it's just my feeling. What does Tracee think of the TMZ post?

Anonymous said...

Chudney have you ever considered listening to Mary J. Blige,John Legend, John Mayer, Prince, Fallout Boy, U2,Jennifer Lopez,Wyclef Jean and Outkast. They are also great artists with quality music. I'm also happy to see that you love Michael Jackson's music b/c i do too. Love Lauren Hill too especially with the fugees. But the Britney Spears thing, you should have kept that to yourself b/c Britney has NOOOOOOOO talent compared to artists I've just named.Lets just be realistic her, she can't sing for life.