Wednesday, October 17, 2007

AUSTIN, TEXAS


This past weekend I went to visit my friend (ex-boyfriend) Brian in AUSTIN, TEXAS. Though I wouldn’t say I was a HUGE fan of TEXAS (the heat, the line dancing and the ten gallon cowboy hats are not really my style), AUSTIN is pretty darn FABULOUS!

I arrived Friday evening via Southwest (Not as cheap and easy as Jet Blue, but still a good inexpensive travel option). Brian picked me up and we headed straight to La Feria (A hoppin’ Mexican joint). We got reacquainted (yes, there is still a little spark there) over Queso, margaritas and a live mariachi band that serenaded us with La Coocaracha. Very romantic! HA!

We headed to his apartment for a quick shower and change then it was off to downtown for dinner. We shared a juicy steak with onion rings, french fries and caesar salad at Sullivan’s Steak House (I love red meat) then cruised the bars on 6th Street. We drank and laughed and danced till late at night before cabbing it back to his pad (God, I love mass transportation! We need better options to driving late at night in LA. Just ask Paris, Lindsey, Mel… the list goes on and on)

A little hung over, we braved the heat and hit Pease Park for a little Frisbee golf (Never heard of it? It’s basically golf with a Frisbee and it’s FABULOUS). It was a lot of fun, but let’s just say I’m not particularly good. I lost BIG time (and complained a lot in the process). We were too hot and sweaty to continue so we skipped the last couple holes and headed to my favorite lunch spot in all of AUSTIN, Texadelphia!

Texadelphia is the sweetest little cheese steak spot on the University Campus. The air conditioner cooled us (It was super hot), the water re-hydrated me (maybe so many vodka sodas the night before where not such a good idea) and the queso and pizza cheese steak brought A LOT of joy to my heart (and stomach). We rolled back to Brian’s pad for a good long nap (which Brian called watching Football) to prepare for another FABULOUS evening in AUSTIN.

After a good long rest, we headed to Uchi for some serious sushi. After a couple cocktails on the patio we got seats at the super crowded sushi bar. The crazy sushi chef lopped off the head of a huge yellow tail right as we sat down. He laughed as blood dripped down his arms (like he just got his arm caught in a wood chipper). Not my idea of appetizing but it was funny and my sushi was fantastic. I LOVED the spicy tuna roll and Brian and I shared the shag (spicy tuna with avocado and cucumber in soy paper). We also ate bacon wrapped asparagus, yellow tail, and Brian even ate a cut of that poor bloody fish that was decapitated in front of us. Mmmmm...

We were stuffed so be decided to forgo the bars and walk to the Alamo Draft House (probably one of the greatest invention… a movie theater that serves food and alcohol). We drank sangria, ate chocolate cake and ice cream and watched The Heart Break Kid (a couple funny one liners but NOT so funny… I’d wait till it comes out on DVD).

Sunday, we slept in the got yummy bagels at Einstein’s (I love an onion bagel with chive cream cheese) then headed to the Pedernales River where Brian’s parents took us out on the boat. I’ve been water skiing a bunch, but never wake boarding. I perfected my skills and even caught some air (I’m actually pretty sporty, so I picked it up pretty quickly, BUT I will NOT be going pro anytime soon). Unlike me, Brian actually has some wake boarding skills. He is pretty darn good and I snapped photos as he jumped the wake. His mom and stepfather even got out there and showed some serious skills. Even though, I seem like a city girl, I love the outdoors!

Exhausted from the day on the water (my muscles still hurt days later), Brian and I opted for a mellow night. His mom cooked up some yummy chicken Fajitas, then we headed back to the Alamo Draft House for another movie. This time we caught a movie called Weirdsville (I had never heard of it before, but it was FABULOUS. PLUS, I have the hots for the star, Scott Speedman! HOT!) with a bottle of red wine, then hit the hay.

My weekend is AUSTIN was a FABULOUS mix of outdoor fun and classy city stuff with a great friend. I love to get sweaty (or wet) being active, but then get dressed up and have a nice night out on the town.

We laughed, we loved and that’s the most FABULOUS part of all. AUSTIN is FABULOUS!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Gooooo! Chudney. You know you can do some drinking and a lot of eating. I'm not mad at cha. Glad you workout. Great photos of you chillin and on the water. You and I could hang. If you haven't yet, check out road bikes (Lance Armstrong type). You would love the endurance rides. Charity rides are always fun and the bicyling societies are really fun, kind and supportive. Plus, cycling gear for women is not looks very cool and sexy. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Frisbee golf?? We call it disc golf. It's actually quite fun. I play it in the summertime, we have a park for it here in Northville, MI.

Funny cause I was just talking to my boyfriend about that two days ago and we were noticing that the only people we know of who play that are white folks. (Except him, and now you.... and I guess me, i'm not white either).

Anonymous said...

Chudney--watch yourself with all that liquor and red meat. It will catch up with you in a few years.

dalia said...

i've never been to austin, but once the magazine i worked for sent to to dallas for a toni & guy hair show, and oh. my. god, those dallas hairstylists know how to party! i always said that if i was going to go anywhere in the you-ess of eh again, dallas would be first on the list (after new york and miami and hilton head south carolina and LA and...) LOL

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! Sounds like you had a great time in Austin, it's cool seeing you out on the water like that - you go girl

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time in Texas. I personally LOVE the food there. Great beef, great mexican, great outings! It's all good. Glad you enjoyed yourself. ;0)