Sunday, June 10, 2007

Costa Rica

It’s been a while since my last posting because I’ve been in Costa Rica and everyone advised against me lugging along my computer (though I feel totally lost without it) Now I’m back and connected again to the world (thank heavens for the internet and cell phones).

My old friend Chris Birchby (an amazing painter) was getting married in Costa Rica and I was psyched to get the invite. I have never been to Latin America and so I jumped at the opportunity (Destination weddings are the best!). The journey started out pretty glamorous minus the over night flight to Miami in coach (sitting in a seat that didn’t recline) then the four hour layover (which I spent sleeping on the floor of the terminal) because of the plane was delayed.

Needless to say, when I arrived in Costa Rica I was a bit tired, but the fabulousness of it all set in once I met up with the Four Seasons greeters who expedited me through customs, into waiting car and to the sprawling Four Season’s resort. The Four Seasons is magnificent (3 pools, 2 beaches, a spa, a gy,, golf course, 3 restaurants and a bar)!

It’s the beginning of rainy season in Costa Rica and so the sun only comes out for brief moments, BUT rainy season means everything is green and lush and BEAUTIFUL!! Each day the sun would come out just long enough to bake myself into a golden tan. When the sun hid behind clouds, we did yoga on the beach, swam in the ocean, drank Mojitos, searched for monkeys on the nature hike (you can hear them howling and screaming, but we didn’t spot any) and I read my book (The Glass Castle is AWESOME! READ IT!) We did a canopy tour where you zip line through the rain forest at Witches Rock. It was scary at first, but a super cool feeling to fly though the trees miles above ground like a bird.

Chris and Kristian got married right on the sand at sunset. It was a gorgeous ceremony (pretty close to perfect). As they said their vows the clouds broke and the sun created a beautiful sunset. It was truly breathtaking. We had champagne on the beach, ate a delicious dinner and danced till our bodies ached. A conga line, a little break dancing, a soul train line, swing dancing, dirty dancing, double dutching, playing maracas. (Hysterical!)

Now… you cant come all the way to Costa Rica and ONLY see the Four Seasons. I mean I’m an adventurous girl who likes to see more than the pool and the beach. So after four days in the lap of luxury, I headed out on my own to Tamarindo (a beach town known for its surfing and night life). I didn’t feel unsafe being alone, but because of my skin color (I look like a local), I got more attention from the than I bargained for. Now the problem is I don’t speak a word of Spanish, so I had no idea what they were saying to me (I’ve got to take a Spanish lesson!).

My second day there, I met another girl traveling alone named Ana (also I FINALLY spotted a monkey in the trees by the hotel). Together we cruised (Ana and I, NOT me and the monkey) the streets and beach, ate local food (SO YUMMY) and made more friends. That night we went salsa dancing at El Barro (a locals bar) and hit Mambo Bar (the HOT SPOT of the night – just like in LA) We danced and laughed (and ignored the hookers) and had a really fun night!

I took a surf lesson (at Witches Rock Surf Tour) and though it was pouring rain and the conditions were choppy, I perfected my pop up and learned to turn in the white water (Not ready to go PRO, but I’m working on it). That night I met Travis (a nice guy from Texas) at the bar (When alone always eat at the bar! You are bound to meet someone). We headed out to the hot spot of the night, Babylon. Babylon is a bit sketchy to get to (it’s around the back of the main area and through local housing) but the music is great. We hung out and danced until late in the evening.

At one point, I looked around and couldn’t find Travis (I made him pinky swear not to leave me, BUT I guess Texan’s don’t hold pinky swears as an oath) and got nervous. I decided to follow some other American girls back to town, but when they went the opposite direction my heart raced. I was standing in the middle of a pretty sketchy place ALONE and SCARED. I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me back to the bar where I found a cab, which whisked me back to my hotel. Safe at last in my room, I packed my bags, thanked the lord that I was alive and went to sleep.

Early the next morning, I headed to the tiny airport where I took a prop plane to the San Juan (international) airport. My plane was delayed, but I finally made it to Miami where I ran though customs (Miami airport in under construction so I was ridiculously winded and exhausted when I arrived at my gate just in time to make my connection) and head home.

The trip was amazing (everything from a glamorous wedding to tramping through the dirt streets of Tamarindo to surfing to finally getting to see a monkey). I’m happy I went. I’m happy I saw more than the Four Seasons, but I’m even happier to be home!!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chudney, I enjoyed reading about your trails to Costa Rico. I've never been, I'm not that adventurous to go by myself, but, you sound like you had a fabulous time. I'm a little older than you, ok, maybe closer to your sister, Tracee (I'm 37), but because I'm a fan of your mom I decided to follow the links to your blog. I think you're a great writer.

Anonymous said...

You are so fine!!

Anonymous said...

As always, a great read.

And I know it can be scary having to 'rely on the kindness of strangers' to not be alone in a foreign town. I went to Washington DC (not exactly the rain forest, but still) and the event I was going to was SUPPOSED to have their guard/doorman fetch me a cab after it was over to get back to my hotel, well it turned out to be WAY crazier and busier than anyone expected that night and I couldn't find the bouncer guy who they designated as my 'get-me-home-safe' guy. Anyway, long story short I was on the verge of tears at 4 in the morning, in a strange town, in a place where cabs WONT come upon request (some stupid rule they had). If you don't have a hookup, you just have to wait (OUTSIDE! In the middle of a not-so-nice neighborhood!). Anyway another bouncer took pity on me (plus I had the name of the owner to drop, which helped) and he fetched me a cab.

Anyway, sounds like a fun trip. Welcome back. (P.S. I'm jealous of that ana chic you hung out with!)

Anonymous said...

Great story! Those types of trips are the best. Super-Fancy hotels and programmed days are great. But they'll never compare to the uneasy, but delicious feeling of not quite knowing what's next...I strive to find myself eating at the bar alone everyday...so to speak.

Anonymous said...

You just have to put a book together. You make everything sound like so much fun. Wedding, surfing, meeting new people and a monkey too! Beautiful photo! Glad you got close to nature in all it's glory! What an adventure! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Angel 7
Miss Ross I enjoy reading your blog. I teach English at a local high school. When school start back I will share some of your writings with my students. We encourage them to write papers such as yours. Your writings can be used as a focal point for them to get ideas from on how to dream and imaginge big.

I'm sure they will enjoy your writings.
Dream Big

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Chudney...be careful out there...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. You really are adventursome. :)

Shame about the Texan.

Curious to know if you tell these people you meet who your mother is.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an ace time!

LOL this made me laugh so much:

' Together we cruised (Ana and I, NOT me and the monkey)'

The zip wire thing sounded good, I did it a couple of years ago and it was sooo scary to start of with but then it was great! :D

Thanks for posting!

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Chudney. I really enjoy your blog and your antics. I'm going to be harsh with you on this week's blog of your trip. Do not ever go off by yourself in an area you are not familiar and with total strangers. Angels were watching over and I know you are looking back and kicking yourself for being in that position. Glad you are safe and you are not the only one that has done a crazy thing. I've did it myself and thank God nothing happen. Be safe. We want to continue to hear from you. Tame

mrs.tj said...

that sounded like so much fun. I have a trip planned to san juan. I guess I should brush up on my spanish! SURFING?!?!? LOL! Cool. But I think i am too scared of sharks and sting rays. Holla!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear more about your new TV show pitches. I read that your original idea didn't work out. But I wish you the best! I really want to see you on your own BRAVO tv show. Are you and your sister Tracee very close? I know you both are in LA now. Do you guys ever share closets? Or is there any sibling competition goin on there? Are you going to see your mom at the BET awards? Keep up the great blog Chudney!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Welcome Back. We missed you.
Keep this up. We love to hear from you.
Cynda in Berkeley

worldtraveller said...

Hi Chudney,
Your trip sounded great. But be careful when you travel on your own.
It's not always safe....
Regards
Carolin

Anonymous said...

You are making the rounds(http://dlisted.com/node/11128) for you blog about wanting to be Paris Hilton. So maybe you'll get the fame for no reason that you want.

Anonymous said...

You are a great read but come on you need to give respect to people.. ive read some of stuff you say and you dont give people respect and im not talking about stuff you say in your blogs.

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see an indication of some knowledge of African American history, and that of other People of Color.

John Lindsay
Lexington, KY

jclind2@msn.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Chudney, your blog is whats happening for me. You seem very real and entertaining! I've really never been outside of Chicago so going to Costa Rica is foreign to me. I would love to travel, I have the means but not the time. My brother is a flight attendant, so he's me ticket. I work and go to school full time, so I just cant drop everything and leave. It's just that Chicago is not what is happening so I think I need to move.
Keep up with the blogging!
P.S You are really GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

Chudney! Fabulous you are! I am really enjoying your blog. I just stumbled upon it, and I too am a writer. I am really enjoying your honesty, becuase there is something in most of us who seeks a little celebrity no matter who we are or how much we have accomplished. There is nothing like the feeling of being recognized and getting the perks that come along with. I really hope you keep blogging no matter how irregualr it may be!

jamespictures said...

Back in town. xox Jim / The Netherlands

Sundy Morning said...

Chudney, Welcome back from your trip. I just discvered your Blog and I love it. Can't wait to see what's up next for you.

Anonymous said...

Chudney, I saw you last night on the BET Awards, which I don't usually watch, for the first time. knowing nothing about you, pretty much, I decided to Google you, and I have not been able to stop reading your blogs (Mind you, I'm at work.) I enjoy your writing, plainly because I get the essence of you. Putting aside the narrative aspect of your writing, your wit is inviting and welcoming. I wish you would continue to blog in spite of. I think you'll be a great writer and your soon-to-be available books are only the beginning of things to come.

Anonymous said...

U r joking right?
Well, since u crave fame, u def it/some as alot of blogs r talking about your shallowness.

What is your degree from Gtown in? Surely w a degree you should be able to get a job & be fabulous & famous on merit !