Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CATCHING UP WITH OLD PALS

My high school years were less than FABULOUS. After changing schools multiple times (traveling with my mom), I finally settled in a suburb of New York full of country clubs and pink and green sweater sets. I attended a snooty east coast prep school where I never fully felt that I fit in. While the girls in my class where driving brand new, shiny Saabs and dressed in designer duds, I stood out from my peers driving a beat up, purple cabriolet and low riding my plaid kilt, which I paired with patterned tights and purple doc martins. Though, I rolled with the in-crowd, I would never the described myself as popular. I was the “unique” one with big glasses drifting on the outskirts.


I survived those awkward years by finding a group of friends who recognized my inner FABULOUSNESS even when hidden under those horrendous clothes, big glasses and frizzy hair. I am happy to say that I am still very close to those same girls now. Casey, Kim and Annie were my life vest from drowning in the turbulent seas of high school in Connecticut.

This past weekend, we all left our busy (grown up) lives behind for a little reunion of sorts at a spa in Arizona. Kim flew in from San Francisco, me from LA and Casey and Annie from NYC for four fun-filled days of excessive workouts, healthy food and lots of laughs.

Each day, we hopped from class to class (we boxed, danced, ran, lifted weights, squatted and crunched). The girls ended each day with massages while I soaked my weary body in the hot tub and stream room. We then would gorge on way too much healthy food at the restaurant (which basically nullified all the working out we had accomplished).

Each night, we chatted about everything under the stars, reminisced about old times and laughed till our stomaches ached. These girls are hysterical. Even after all these years we easily fell back into our old ways (minus the phony phone calls, pool hopping and doughnut tossing).

Even though I didn’t lose any weight on what was supposed to be our get-fit weekend, it was FABULOUS to spend four days with old friends and I hope to do it again soon.

Even as our lives grow and change… Good friends are forever and that is FABULOUS! I feel so lucky to have spent this time with these wonderful women who I’ve known for so long.

(photo from senior year 1993)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice reflections Is the girl in the red single still

Becca said...

I can relate!!! I am going to NYC in August with 3 of my best friends from med school . . . just made our reservations at Bliss for some awesome self-indulgent services!! Can't wait!! Thank heavens for good friends.

Q said...

Good Morning Chudney,

This may sound crazy but you might want to thank your mom
for not giving you the brand new cars and the designer clothes.
Sometimes our parents seems to make some "not so fair" decisions but they love us so much, they want to keep us from the lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life.
Yes, it was difficult going through the awkward years but it built TRUE character in you.
Ask yourself what type of person you would’ve been if your mother had lavished you with the trends of the day. What would your self worth been based on? Would you have been as successful as you are? Would you have seen a need and volunteered your time? Would you have had the ability to work with children and teach them who they are?
Last but not least would you have had the privilege to spend a fabulous
weekend with your 3 high school friends that saw you through different eyes and were able to embrace you when you couldn’t even embrace yourself.

Love ya
Q

Sharon Jacobucci said...

Another fab blog reminiscing about high school and forever friends/sisters for life. Added treat: A spa that I can't say I ever had the pleasure of indulging in one before. Glad you had fun... My enjoyment comes from reading your awesome adventures. They're my pleasure escapism. LD

Andrew said...

Two of these girls look like sisters. From left to right the first and third? Am I right? You look adorable and smart. Q I like your gentleness. Take care. Andrew

Ebony and Ivory said...

Hi Chudney-Great picture of you at your Mom's concert in NY. You looked smashing. We are waiting with baited breath for Miss Ross's arrival on the West coast!

Mark C--are you ready for LA?!! Your website rocks.

Summer said...

Hi I discovered your blog by accident I was trying to see if Tracee had a blog but was lead here silly google anywho you kept me laughing as I read ;)

Anonymous said...

Cutie!
I know the feeling of being an outcast and not fitting in. Thanks for sharing those pictures and feelings with us.

/Hanna

Artur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey great blog! Going back to the old days. I think it is good to have friends who you can hangout with every now and then. It is kinda hard to find good friends now days. You are blessed to have these girls in your life. Does it feel good to have friends that understands you and except you for who you are. I must say that even though your mom is famous she was able to live a normal life and was able to teach your sisters and brothers and plus yourself how to work hard to achieve your goals and not let it goes to your head. In my book she did a good job as a mom because all of you guys are successful in your own way and all of you have a good heart. Now back to the friends. I have a really good friend myself. She and I has been friends since we was in 7th grade together. She is the godmother to my kids. I really value her friendship. Chudney I know we haven't been friends long but I still consider you one of my best friend and I hope you feel the same. I am glad you took some time to yourself and had some fun but it is time for me to go. Have a bless week and give mom a kiss for me. LENA!!!

ethel said...

Hi Chudney, again another fun & heartwarming read! We cannot choose our parents, siblings & relatives, but we can choose our friends, esp. our inner circle of friends . And from your sharing, each one of you made the right choice, : ).

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thanks for sharing this with us! I agree, friends are so important in life!! It sounds like you have some really wonderful friends!

Mark