Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MY NEW FAVORITE TV SHOWS


I am strangely mesmerized by reality TV. I find myself, at times, totally zoned out watching the cheesiest shows… yet I still love it. I may be getting dumber as I watch, but reality TV still entertains me to no end.

As silly as TOOL ACADEMY is, I am excited to tune in each week and see which tool will get kicked off next. This MTV reality game show follows a bunch of "unsuspecting bad boys" (the worst of the worst boy friends) through a boot camp where they compete in challenges to rebuild their relationships. Each week, one is kicked out (The host says, “You are just a tool”). Then the real drama unfolds as tears flow and the girlfriend decides whether to get in the limo with the cheating, liar boyfriend or kick him to the curb. Great television… need I say more? ☺

Also on MTV, REAL WORLD / ROAD RULES CHALLENGE pits cast members from past seasons of Real World and Road Rules (both shows that I also LOVE) against each other in grueling, frightening, physical and metal challenges to win a money prize at the end. What is so fascinating about this show is that we have been watching this same group of contestants for years. We know all about them… their past scandalous relationships (exes always appear back on the show together for the drama), who they hate, who is crazy, etc. To me it’s awesome to have this inside view into the dramatic tension. It’s amazing that this cast of “real people” have made life long careers of being on MTV realty shows.

I also love… Biggest loser, America’s Next Top Model, The Bachelor, American Idol and Dancing With The Stars!!

Good, smart TV is rare and hard to come by these days, but there are some awesome shows on cable as well as a couple on primetime that have hooked me in.

I love, love, love CALIFORNICATION. This edgy, smart and sexually charged Showtime series is filmed on my Cali stomping grounds and my heart skips a beat every time I see them filming on location. David Duchovny is awesome as Hank Moody, a writer from New York who has been transplanted to Los Angeles where he engages in excessive sexual misadventures in between trying to sell another book. This show goes all out with full nudity, bad words, and plenty of seriously graphic sex scenes. The dry wit dialogue is so well done and every episode has me cracking up.

GLEE is sooooooooo funny! I haven’t laughed so hard watching TV in a long time. The characters are extremely over the top, the musical numbers super cheesy, but Glee is the perfect feel good, primetime show and there has never been anything else like it on TV. The show follows the making of a high school glee club and features musical worthy song and dance numbers (God, I love musicals)! The writing is hysterical and smart with a healthy dose of sarcasm. Glee is a feel good laugh a minute!

I watched the whole first season on TRUE BLOOD in one week. I was instantly hooked to this sexy, smart and at times scary HBO show. Graphic and bloody, this series follows the co-existence of vampires and humans in Bon Temps, a fictional small Louisiana town (where all sorts of creatures of the night seem to wreak havoc). The main character, Sookie Stackhouse (played by Anna Paquin) falls in love with vampire Bill Compton (played by her real life love Stephen Moyer) and the onscreen chemistry is juicy! I can’t wait for the third season to watch the blood and sex unfold.

I also love… Heroes, Dexter, Grey’s Anatomy and Melrose Place.

Watching TV is FABULOUS!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not me, girl. I want to go back to the days of comedy shows . . . Seinfeld, Murphy Brown, etc. I live reality everyday in my medical practice and don't want to deal with reality on TV :-))

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney I myself likes to watch reality shows. I am a big sitcom person as well. Now with movies like True Blood I watch it sometimes with my husband he is truly a big fan of that show. I like to watch shows that make me laugh. I like musical shows because I get to spend time with the kids cause they like to watch musical show. I like this week blog for the fact I can relate to it. Signing out Lena!!!!!

Q said...

Hi Chudney,
As I read this blog I was waiting for you to say "Girlfriends," your sisters show. I know that it's off the air, but did you use to watch it? If you did was it to support your sister or was it because you liked the show? I know it wasn't "reality" but trust me some people were able to relate.

Bless Ya
Q

Freddie said...

I no longer have cable. I first got cable for the video channels but they no longer show videos and E Entertainment but they are no longer entertaining. Comedy Central aired "Dogma" just one time too many and cable, for me, was gone!

I told a buddy of mine that I am a member of Netflix so she told me to rent the first season of "True Blood." I really like it! Not enough to go back to cable though. Hulu and YouTube gets me through.

I do watch "Vampire Diaries." A little slow moving at first, but it's getting there. My favorite reality shows are "Biggest Loser," and "Top Model." I like "Modern Family" the new sitcom. It is so funny! It's on now as a matter of fact.

Enjoy the blog as always. Thanks for sharing!

Andrew said...

You would make a fabulous talk show host. Your enthusiasm and willingness to share makes you fabulous. Buy the ticket..take the ride. All the best!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Iceland, television can be good and bad, but congratulations with your president with his Nobel Peace Prize. Take care and keep writing fun blogs and don´t bother about some blog haters.

Anonymous said...

Girl where are new pictures ???!!! **********

Anonymous said...

Chudney do you remember this?**********

http://girldir.com/files/images/green-scarab-necklace.jpg

Anonymous said...

I like Tool Academy as well and I hope my man Charm wins. It would be nice to see you and your family on a reality TV program.

Bungee.

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thanks for sharing your favorite TV shows with us!

Since you like TV so much and seem to like reality shows and produce so many great videos for us, I have an idea that I would like to share with you. Here it is - I think it would be great if you and your family did a Christmas Show for national television from your home in CT. I can remember growing up and watching the Andy Williams Christmas Show on TV. It was always something that I enjoyed seeing, and it stands out as a memorable TV moment for me as a kid. I also remember that Dolly Parton did this one year. We need quality shows on TV, and we don't seem to have these "Holidays Shows" on the air anymore. It would be great to see how you guys spend the holidays. You could show us a 5 minute segment of all of you preparing the holiday dinner in the kitchen, a 5 minute segment of trimming the tree and decorating the house, most of the show devoted to your family singing and performing holiday favorite songs and skits, and then at the end, a 5 minute segment of everything all ready (the table set, the presents wrapped, and the house all decorated) with holiday wishes for a great season from your family to ours. It is just an idea. You might love it or think it is ridiculous, but I thought that I would just throw it out there. I would imagine that most of these specials are recorded during the summer, but it is just something that you might consider doing in the future. I know it would be a success!

It would also be great to see you and your family light the tree at Rockefeller Center one year. I can't believe that the ice skating rink opened last week already. Where does the time go?

It would also be great to see you and your family do a live Christmas/Holiday show together in NY one year (maybe at Lincoln Center). I know Johnny Mathis and Dionne Warwick have done similar shows in the past. The stage could be decorated with beautiful trees, winter scenes, and holiday decorations, and you & your family could perfom holiday songs and skits. In the middle of the show, your mother could take about 30 minutes or so to perform some of her signature songs. It is just another idea that I thought that I would throw out there. I know that this would also be a success, too, and the tickets would be sold out the first day that they went on sale.

I think you can see that I love the holidays, and I think that it is "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" (of course besides SUMMER)! Thanks for reading my ideas! I think your blog is FABULOUS and you do a great job with it!

Hope all is well with you!

Sincerely,

Mark