Wednesday, September 30, 2009

ITALIAN FOOD

I love ITALIAN FOOD. Well… really I love all food. I’m not a foodie by any means. I don’t seek out the fanciest, unique-est dishes. I just love to eat and ITALIAN may be my favorite cuisine right now.

My boyfriend (yes, I said it! The “new guy” is now the “bf”) doesn’t eat meat. He sticks to carbs and veggies and white fish. I, on the other hand, am a carnivore (Not exactly, but I do love meat)! We have found to make us both full to the brim and happy as clams (which I don’t eat BTW), ITALIAN FOOD is a FABULOUS choice.

We have eaten ITALIAN FOOD from Hollywood to Santa Monica and Santa Barbara to Catalina and I have enjoyed every pasta, pizza and caprese salad. Here are my favorite spots in LA right now…

LA VECCIA CUCINA (Santa Monica)
Northern Italian food at it’s best right in the heart of Santa Monica on Main Street. The tables are a bit close together, but the food is to die for. The chicken piccata was a delight and the caprese salad a must try.

LA SCALA (Beverly Hills)
I’ve mostly been to La Scala for lunch with my mom. Located on Canon Drive in Beverly Hills, La Scala is old style Italian food in old style décor, comfortable with spacious booths (that fits my whole, big, happy family) and divine food. The Caesar salad makes my heart skip as does the chopped salad and I always steal some of Evan’s penne arrabiatta when he isn’t looking.

CAFÉ MED (West Hollywood)
You can’t beat Café Med’s outdoor patio right on Sunset Plaza. This is Evan’s favorite spot as well as my boyfriend’s. Great people watching, but even better food. The “bf” opts for the pizza with pineapples, Evan the penne arrabiata (again) and me… I can never decide between eggplant parmesan, penne arrabiatta, Caesar salad or the bruscetta. The list can go on and on….

TERRONI (West Hollywood)
Terroni is a very hip, traditional southern Italian pizza joint on Beverly in West Hollywood. They play old black & white movies projected on the wall, have a foosball table out front and the most delicious, thin crust pizzas around. They don’t take reservations so arrive early and bring your own pizza cutter because they don’t slice it for you (and definitely don’t ask for substitutions… the chef is a stickler). It is all worth it in the end, though… Delicious!

My advice when dining Italian…
- Be careful not to fill up on the bread and olive oil… even though it can be quite delicious. I always try to stick to one (or two pieces) pre-dinner. Hopefully, it’s warm! I always ask for parmesan cheese and vinegar to add to the olive oil. Ooo… what a treat! Ask them to take away the bread basket when you’ve had enough or you will keep picking till you are too full.

- I always like to start off by sharing a caprese salad (tomato and mozzarella) or Bruscetta. I keep the vinegar from the bread course and sprinkle a little on for the perfect appetizer.

- My favorite main courses right now are Penne Arrabiatta (tube pasta with spicy tomato sauce) or Chicken Piccatta (with angel hair pasta) or Chicken Parmesan (Yummers) or fussili alfredo with broccoli (and a squeeze of lemon). Also, you can also never go wrong with pizza! Pizza! Pizza!

Mmm… Now I am hungry!

Italian food is FABULOUS! I have to watch out though or I will end up at Fat Camp (I have already gained too much weight, which I lovingly call… My love chub) I think all new couples put on a bit of weight during the courting period and I am no exception (but it is totally worth it ☺).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney,
If you haven't already tried Il Ristorante di Giorgio Baldi in Santa Monica please try it. I have not been to E. Baldi in Beverly Hills but my quess is it's fabulous as well. Enjoy yourself. Andrew

Anonymous said...

Great blog Chudney! Italian is my fav food too. Off to an Italian restaurant tonight with some friends for a catch up, haven't seen them in way too long so looking forward to it.

Also, im really glad to hear things are going well with your bf. Will we get to see a pic of him soon? Pleeease ;)If he's one of them that doesn't like his pic being taken like most guys, then try and take a sneeky one lol.

Take Care,
Sarah x

Anonymous said...

COOL !!!

Anonymous said...

ARTHUR - H = ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MN-bmymsGY

Leonada said...

I love Italian food too, so thanks for the list of great places out in LA. The next time I'm there, I'll have to try them out. ;)

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Love the blog...love the topic and the establishment recommendations :) Had Italian last night, catching up with a dear friend. I'm such a bore as it's always tom/mozz starter and Penne Arrabiata/Seafood Pasta...and always with LOTS of black pepper...! And the obligatory white wine :) Was very good to refuse the bread last night...sooooo hard! Olives instead :) And yes...love chub is a real problem...I have 10yrs worth of it (lol) to shift and I gotta start sooooooooooooon!

Pizza tonight lol Truthfully...I'll get back to classes Monday.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Blessings,

Ruth.

Mark said...

Hi Chudney & all of the regulars (Rosser Ruth),

Thanks for sharing this fantastic blog update with us! I also love Italian food. It is one of my favorite types of food to eat. I love a great caprese salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar, and here in NJ, we have absolutely fabulous Jersey tomatoes at this time of the year. So I must say that right, here a caprese salad is even more delightful than usual. A few other great appetizers include a delicious cold antipasto and mozzarella & carozza with extra sauce on the side. I also enjoy a caesar salad (sometimes with grilled chicken), chicken/veal francese, lasagna, chicken/veal/eggplant parm with penne, penne vodka, or penne alla vodka (it has shrimp, scallops, & crabmeat in it). I think I love all Italian food, and I love your tip about the bread. I usually try to stick to one or two pieces before the main course so I don't ruin my appetite, but sometimes it is a little hard to do, especially if it is warmed or the basket includes garlic bread (very yummy and delicious). I must say that pizza is always fantastic, especially if it has thin crust and was baked in a brick oven! I feel like ordering some great Italian food right now!

That is great news that the "new guy" is now your boyfriend. I am happy for you!

Thanks again for the update and for sharing all of your tips about great Italian food with us. If I ever get to LA, I will have to try some of those places(doubtful though as my life is on the East Coast - however, I would love to see what life is like on the other side of the country one day).

Hope that you have a great weekend!

All the best,

Mark

Anonymous said...

Italian food is one of my favorite. One of my favorite dish is chicken parmesan. I learned the recipe, now I make it for my family and they loves it. About the weight as long as you have gain it in the right places if you know what I mean I am sure your bf will not have a problem with your weight. Cool blog!! Signing out Lena?????????lol

AMERA said...

Dear Chudney;

Well how are all you Chudsters...
out there in Chudneyland????
been a busy summer for me...
do hope you understand...

hope all of you had a good time...
hope you all had great fun...
with family and friends...
out ejoying all the sun...

the fall season now begins...
summer...oficially ends...
this is my favorite time of year...
what can I say my friends...

red...orange and yellow hues....
the leaves turn golden brown...
any leaves that are left ...
that have not fallen to the ground...

the colors of autumn are so warm...
they are spectacular...
I really do enjoy this time....
it's a FABULOUS time of year...

the only thing about autumn...
that I don't like at all...
is that I know what lies ahead of that...
winter...and all the snow that falls...

actually I don't mind the snow so much...
as long as it does not get too cold...
winter is more enjoyable when you are young...
not much fun when you are old [ha]...

wish me a BELATED BIRTHDAY....
mine was October 4...
I've decided after this one...
there won't be any more...

went away for the occasion...
with some friends to Tahoe...
would you believe even they had...
a little bit of snow????

good thing we were away...
....what the hell?????...
the weather was not so good in Calgary...
it was snowing here as well...

someone else has one coming up...
who's name I won't mention of course...
but she is the owner of this blog...
YES!!!! MISS CHUDNEY ROSS...

I was catching up on all your blogs...
but I need some verification...
what is the "BF'S" name????
he needs some validation...

what does he look like huh????
does he have alot of money????
does he treat you like a queen???...
does he call you "HONEY"????....

there are many more questions...
you know I am only teasing....
to hear that you are still togther...
to me is very pleasing...

when I fell in love...
I had no appetite...
I could hardly eat at all...
and could not sleep at nite....

so I lost weight instead of gained...
must have been something wrong with me...
because Italian food is my favorite...
but I just could hardly eat...

I forgot the topic is ITALIAN food....
WOW!!! what a round about way...
of getting on the topic of food...
took me all of that to say...

I should just as well have been born Italian...
because it is my absolute fave...
rigatoni with tomato basil sauce...
is the one thing that I crave...

who does not like tomatos...
caprese salad of course...
my favorite kind of salad...
you don't even have to toss...

some baguette bread....
red wine by bottle or glass...
some extra virgin olive oil...
and some balsamic dipping sause...

all this talk of food....
is beginning to make me salivate...
so I guess I'll sign off for now...
out to dinner tonite...ITALIAN FOOD!!! IS'NT THAT GREAT????

love
AMERA

Anonymous said...

Yes,it's true :)**********

http://sharonmontrose.blogspot.com/2009/09/lovely-family.html

Anonymous said...

**********
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAq8TAKG7HQ

Anonymous said...

**********For me !!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT9EF29OqFE