Wednesday, April 22, 2009

FRUIT


Lately, I’ve been really loving FRUIT! It’s a bit strange because I’m not usually drawn to sweet stuff. I would prefer a bag of Doritos to a cookie any day and for sure I would choose veggies over FRUIT, but that’s all changed recently!

I was shopping on Melrose with my friend Jill and we came upon a Mexican-fruit stand. Though I’ve seen them everywhere, I’ve never tried it. I was starving, so I thought I would give it a go! The nice lady chopped up mangos, oranges, pineapples, watermelon and cucumber and slid it into a bag. Then, she squeezed fresh lime over it, added a dab of salt and a sprinkle of chile pepper. I gave her $5 (a bargain for a huge bag of fresh fruit) and she handed me a fork and a napkin. I dove right in and my taste buds were tickled by the mix of sweet fruit with salty and spicy flavors. I was hooked! (A bit of advice: Don’t eat the whole bag at once… like I did! I had the worst stomachache that night). Those stands are all over LA and now whenever I need a snack I know where to stop (I only eat half now and save the rest in Tupper-ware for a healthy snack later). Mexican-fruit stands are FABULOUS!

FRUIT is great for you and recently I decided to do a 3-day FRUIT fast. A FRUIT fast is a great way to cleanse and detoxify the body. A while back I tried the Master Cleanse (see June 25th, 2008 blog). It was traumatic and I didn’t last long enough to get the full effects. A FRUIT fast is much gentler and so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Sunday, I went to the Farmer’s Market to stock up on all sorts of fruits. I bought oranges, apples, nectarines, pineapples, watermelon and berries. Fruits are filled with enzymes that do almost all the work of digestion, allowing the pancreas a much-needed rest. Fruit sugars as well as the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, are carried by the bloodstream and delivered to the cells in the body. The fibers that are left behind in the colon are moist and cleansing, softening and removing years of impacted bad stuff (which I have a lot of with all the Big Macs and Cheesy Gordita Crunches I consume).

Monday morning, I started my fast. I ate throughout the day a variety of the FRUIT. I ate 2 apples, 1 orange, 2 nectarines and a whole bunch of berries, pineapple and watermelon. I also drank herbal tea in the morning and Senna Leaf laxative tea at night.

A FRUIT fast is easier than other fasts because you are constantly chewing. I never felt hungry because I was fooling my body into thinking I was eating, plus the Fruit tastes great (at first). At the end of day one, I felt good and not hungry at all and I slept well, though I had to get up a couple times to pee (FRUIT has a lot of water in it).

Day two, I woke with a grumbling in my belly, but I was still energetic and vibrant (On the master cleanse I was tired and totally out of it). I ate again an apple, oranges, a nectarine, pineapple and tons of berries. In the late afternoon is when my head and emotions started to kick in. It wasn’t that I was hungry, but I couldn’t stop thinking about bagels, bacon, coffee and wine and cheese. My body has become accustomed to diet of shitty foods, so the FRUIT was way less satisfying.

I realized that I was definitely cravings cheese far more from emotional attachments than hunger, but this is were it started to get hard. Supposedly fat, sugar and salt cravings will subside in a few days, but by late morning of day 3, my emotional cravings got the best of me and I chowed down on a salad.

The next morning, I brought coffee, regular food and wine back into my diet. I did leave out cheese and red meat (which I miss drastically) … at least for now.

I think I did ok on the FRUIT Fast and my body definitely ended in a healthy state. Even though I ended my FRUIT fast cursing all FRUIT… I remember that Mexican-fruit stand and I am reminded that FRUIT is FABULOUS!

12 comments:

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney!

Love the blog entry. I have not ever heard of a fruit fast but it sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Gene S. said...

Hi Chudney,
FINALLY! You're admitting what I've known all alone. YOU LOVE ME!
Cause you know I am the biggest FABULOUS fruit there is In Los Angeles. LOL! Take care-Gene

amera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Girl where are the new videos?

Andreas said...

Its Saturday evening almost night here in Germany and no new topic to read , Chudney ....whats going on ? I enjoyed the Fruit story very much and can't wait to read more on any new topics. Keeps us in the loop.


regards


Andreas

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney,

May I ask, what happened to all of the comments? Why have many of them been deleted? One of the fun parts of this site was to read your posts & then all of the comments. I am really sad to see that they are all gone now! I hope that some of the negative comments didn't ruin it for everyone. Did something bad happen? (I hope not!) I also hope that everything is okay. I always appreciate all of the wonderful posts that you write each week!

Signed,
Anonymous :(

CHUDNEY ROSS said...

Hmm... I didnt erase any comments. I usually leave the negative ones too. I will look into that.

Also so sorry for the delayed blogs! I have gotten so behind on my real work (the stuff people actually pay me for! haha!) That I needed a minute to catch up. Sooooooorry! New blogs soon I promise!!

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thank you very much for answering my questions and looking into the deleted comments! You are the BEST, and I appreciate your honesty. It would be so great if you could find a way to bring back all of our comments! (If not, don't worry about it. Strange things happen with technology sometimes.)

I was so concerned over the past few weeks, and I am so glad to hear that everything is okay & you are back!!!! I started to really worry when the comments were gone & then when you didn't have any new posts. Please don't feel that you ever have to apologize for delayed blogs! We all lead very busy and sometimes hectic lives and it is impossible for us try to do everything at the same time. We all need a break or a vacation every now and then. I hope that you were able to catch up on your other work-related activities & rest, too. I also knew, at the same time, that you would be back when you were ready to write, and you would have a new an exciting post for us. And yes, you are back! Thanks again for everything that you do on this site & for taking the time to write these blogs! You really make many people very happy by doing this and always find a way to brighten up our week! Thank you again!

As a personal P.S., we had a week of rain here on the East Coast, and it was a very gloomy, gloomy week. Today was the first day of sunshine with temperatures around 80 degrees, and I was very happy today. I was then thrilled to find your updates when I arrived home. You made my day (in fact, you made my whole weekend)! I hope that all of our comments also brighten up your days and bring a smile to your face. We all need great things to happen in life!

Hope that you have a fabulous weekend!

Stay well,

Mark :)

CathyG said...

Love the idea of the fruit fast. Thanks for sharing your fasting diary.

Sounds like you were not trying to lose weight, just cleansing.