Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NEW YORK


Usually my trips to NEW YORK are quick, as the hustle and bustle of the city wears on a girl after too much time. BUT, my childhood friend Saskia (we met when we were babies) invited me to her wedding and I was excited to be a part of her special day so I was willing to spend some more time. Plus, I LOVE weddings! (What better place to meet my future husband?)

The only problem was I had a full week between Fashion Week (see last weeks blog) and the wedding. I find it VERY hard to concentrate in a NEW YORK because there is just way too much going on. (In LA, people allow time to breathe and relax). I have a lot on my plate right now and so in between seeing friends and partying (as I do), it was important for me to find time to exercise, write, relax and breathe.

After the few days of hard partying during Fashion Week, I needed a break. My friend Mary has a house in Piermont, NY (just a hop, skip and a jump from the city), so I decided to head out to visit her and clear my head. We ate lunch on the small and quaint Main Street, visited the farmer’s market and a Peace Festival (which was a bunch of hippies dancing around with flowers) then went to the mall. This was not just any mall! It was huge and FABULOUS! It had great shopping, an amazing food court (where we gorged on Mexican food), an indoor Ferris wheel, Dave and Buster’s Arcade (which is maybe the greatest place on EARTH) and 2 huge movie theaters (We saw “The Women” which was less than FABULOUS). A mellow night is just what the doctor ordered.

Back in the city the next day, I was able to find a NEW YORK routine to help me get through the week.

Every morning, I would start the day with a walk through Central Park to Starbucks. Now, I know that in LA I am ANTI Starbucks and PRO Coffee Bean, but without too many coffee options Starbucks worked just fine. I would order an iced coffee and if I was hungry oatmeal. I brought along my computer, so I could check my email, myspace, facebook, blogger and peruse the Internet (always making just a quick stop at TMZ to catch up on LA gossip).

When I was good and caffeinated, I would make my way to the gym. I go to Sports Club LA, which has a branch right down the street from my apartment in NEW YORK. I think it is so important for my well being to at least break a sweat everyday, so I run on the treadmill, stretch, do some abs and lift a couple of weights. One day at the gym, I bumped into my old college crush Dan Martin! Sadly for me, he is married now, but it was still fun to see him. Another day, instead of going to the gym, I met up with my friend Annie at EXHALE Spa for a Core Fusion class. What better way to spend time and reconnect with old friends than by sweating your asses off while working out? (followed by lunch and a play date with her kids at the playground).

I have lots of friends from when I grew up in the NEW YORK. It is FABULOUS to get to spend time with them when I am in town. Many have babies (and I LOVE babies), so lunch and a walk in the park is one of my favorite things to do. Each day I would have lunch with an old friend or family member. I saw my friend Schuyler, my dad, my sister Rhonda and even got to spend sometime over lunch with my stepsister, Leona. She lives in London, so I rarely get to see her. (Check out and buy her new CD! You will LOVE it!)

MY FAVORITE SPOTS IN NEW YORK FOR LUNCH:
REPUBLIC (in Union Square) has the most yummy, affordable Thai food. There are shared tables inside the restaurant, which is kinda random, but fun. They also have a great outdoor patio for those warm, sunny, city days.

SERAFINA (on 61st and Madison) has delicious Italian food. I often have lunch here with my sister Rhonda and dinner with friends. The pizzas are to die for, as is the penne arrabiata! YUM!

BAR PITTI (West Village) is authentic and divine Italian food. It’s always packed with the most FABULOUS hip peeps and serves delicious pastas, salads and pizzas. If you make it there you MUST have the truffle pizza and Pitti salad (with artichokes)! We totally didn’t notice, but the paparazzi caught us lunching here.


PAX (all over NEW YORK) is perfect for a fast, healthy and yummy lunch. I always make a salad. You can chose the type of lettuce you want then pick multiple toppings and the man behind the counter tosses it into a perfect blend (My usual: Romaine with carrots, corn, peas, sun dried tomatoes, bacon, Cajun chicken, more bacon and light Caesar dressing)! They also have great paninis, soups and pastries.

HALE AND HEARTY SOUPS (all over NEW YORK) has salads like PAX and the most amazing selection of soups. I’m usually not much of a soup person (it’s a bit hot in LA) unless I’m sick in bed, but these soups are to die for. I dream about the potato bacon!

In LA, I can be productive writing at a coffee shop. Everyone has a computer or a book and sits for hours lolling around on the sunny patios, but in NEW YORK everyone is moving all the time that no one just sits and hangs out. With my computer at Starbucks, I got many dirty looks for hogging the tables, so I had to search for a good place to sit, think and write.

The best place I found to allow my creative juices to flow was Bryant Park. Once they took the Fashion Week tents down, it was quiet, peaceful and a perfect spot to write. They have tables set up in the shade looking over the grassy area. I could take the bus there from my apartment (I love mass transportation in NEW YORK) and sit for hours writing outside (I was only interrupted now and then by people asking for money or crazies wanting to chat).

One day, when I felt a bit chilly outside in Bryant Park, I ventured into the New York Public Library. It is busy and noisy, but I did find a nice quiet cubicle on the 5th floor to get some work done.

Another day, I took the train out to Greenwich, CT (where I grew up) and after roaming Greenwich Ave and reminiscing about high school, I made my way to the library where I was able to get a good chunk of writing done. It is the cleanest and quietest library I think I have ever been into.

I made a great discovery while in New York! All of the public parks have wireless Internet! I could sit in the middle of Central Park on a blanket and surf the Internet or post my blog (or do what I’m supposed to be doing… write). How FABULOUS is that?!?

Now, of course NEW YORK has the greatest nightlife, BUT my favorite thing to do is get all dolled up and go to dinner with friends. This trip I got to reconnect with so many good friends over yummy food and cocktails.

MY FAVORITE DINNER SPOTS IN NEW YORK:
THE SPOTTED PIG (West Village) is one of my favorite casual joints in the city. It’s an upscale pub with the most delicious burgers and it’s always packed with good looking people. I met up with my friends Nicole and Jeremiah for a great casual night of food, folks and fun!

PASTIS (Meat Packing District) is my very favorite restaurant in NEW YORK. Fashioned after a French Brasserie, the atmosphere is fun and sexy and the food is divine! My friend Sarah and I started a wild night on the town with yummy pastas, salads and wine on the outdoor patio over looking the cobblestone streets of the Meat Packing District.

In LA, I only go to clubs and events that I know for sure I will have no struggle to get in. In NEW YORK I don’t have the same connections, so the bar/club scene is a bit of a hassle. I did dance my little heart out a couple of nights in NEW YORK clubs (One Oak and Butter), but only on nights that I knew someone with a table or went with someone who was better connected than I. Struggling to get into a club is a serious buzz kill, so mostly I stuck to low key bars for cocktails with friends.

MY FAVORITE SPOT FOR COCKTAILS:
GOLD BAR (Little Italy) with gold skulls embedded in the walls, gold chains separating the rooms, gold ceilings and honey flavored drinks, this place is the epitome of FABULOUS. Also my friend Prince Peter DJs here once a week!

The Saturday of the wedding finally arrived and though my week was productive and fun, I was happy that is was time to return home to LA. Saskia was a beautiful bride, the wedding was spectacular and guess what?

I CAUGHT THE BOUQUET!!

15 comments:

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Hey Chudney :)

I LOVED this blog soo much. One of my favourite places EVER is New York. And I really know what you mean about everyone always on the move and doing everything in a hurry. Seems my employer understands that too because when they send me there they allow me only 24hrs to fit it all in! (lol) So if you're there again and see someone speeding by faster than light it'll have been me!

Central Park is just THE BEST...in ANY season. (Sarah is desperate to go to New York with me and the thing she wants most to do is walk in Central Park). (BTW...there are loads of pics of the park in one of my albums on my space...take a wee look).

Reading through your blog I was transported back to New York...PAX, Hale and Hearty, West Village, any of the billion Starbucks (which I love I have to say, although you need an extra shot of esprsso!)...just love it all and can't wait to get back there. I'm very lucky indeed 'cos I get to stay on Lexington and East 55th...how central is that :) I never take it for granted.

As for the quietest library Chudney ;) You'd need to come to my small village to find that! Seriously...it REALLY must be thee quietest ever. (It's so quaint).

And last but DEFINITELY not least...dead chuffed you caught the bouquet :)))))))))))))

(p.s. Hi to all the regulars)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gene S. said...

Hey Chudney,
I'm always dumbfounded about how how you can put away meal after meal after meal, and the calories- intake never seems to be your to wreak havoc on your FABULOUS figure. I swear, if I would weigh myself after reading one of your blogs, I would be at least 5 to 10 pound heavier. Hahaha! LOL. It's always great to catch up with old friends and family, especially in New York, where there are literally no shortages of, as you always say,yummy spots to eat. I absolutely adore Italian food. I guess I would probably even sale my lovely poor sainted old defenceless of a mother, in a heartbeat for an authentic Italian meal (only kidding)! True story. Once in Milan, I stayed the entire time in my hotel room, just ordering room service. Everything was just to delicious.
You guys looked like you were having a great time. Was that you father seated with you and your siblings??? He is still very handsome! I remember being seated next to him & your mother at Doug Weston's Troubadour to listen to Syreeta sing. It was the only time I wasn't watching the show , but instead was watching your,ATTENION: WARNING PLEASE DO NOT EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER GENE'S SICK, I MEAN REALLY SICK CONFESSION. GENE WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR HIS PAST SINS, OR liable for yours choking and bouts of rage, Dad! Heck, I even followed them out to their yellow Bentley behind Dan Tana's. He was just about the most beautiful creature on the face of this earth. Now Don't go and have too many nightmare kids. Haha!

Thanks for letting us know about Leona new CD. Is it on Amazon? I'll check it out!

Great you were able to find time for your writing. Hope it's coming along at the pace where you're FABULOUSLY satisfied with.
Take care and welcome back home.
See ya-Gene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna Jackson said...

Your blog is awesome!!! Thanks for your weekly journey! Did you mean "NEW YORK" for your blog title??

Unknown said...

Hi Chudney,

I really enjoyed reading this Blog. I never been to New York, but I'm ready to go now!!! Thanks for all the cool spots to visit.

Stay Blessed,

Vicky

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.