Wednesday, August 6, 2008

MOM AT HOLLYWOOD BOWL


Last Friday and Saturday, my mom performed at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL! I love to see concerts beneath the stars and you know I love my mom, so I was excited for two FABULOUS nights in a row!

Friday afternoon, I prepped for the evening! I swung by the cheese section at the grocery store and chose an assortment (gruyere, goat cheese, cheddar and brie) and some crackers. I had a nice bottle of white wine left over from a dinner party, so I was all set. I packed it all up in a bag (don’t forget the cheese cutter, wine opener, knife, paper plates and napkins!)

I dolled myself up in my new off the shoulder teal dress and headed out to pick up my friends Kim, Lacey and Pearl. The traffic on Highland was moving at a snail’s pace and we were running a bit late. Luckily, we were able to valet park, which helped us make up some time getting to THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL. We found our box just as the LA Philharmonic took the stage (The LA Philharmonic presents Diana Ross = 30 minutes Philharmonic, 30 minutes intermission and 1 hour mom).

We stood for the national anthem, then as the Philharmonic started their set, we settled into out seats. They were spectacular and to experience them while underneath the stars was FABULOUS.

However, I have never seen a Philharmonic play so I was unaware that one is NOT allowed to speak, whisper or rustle crackers and cheese plates during the show (I wish that we would have arrived earlier to get settled in before everything got started). Being unaware of Philharmonic protocol, I guess we agitated the older man sitting in the box next to us. When my brother Evan came over to say hello, the man was very rude. His exact words were “Take a hike, kid!” Evan, being the polite young man that he is, gave my friends and I hugs and returned to his seat.

When the Philharmonic was finished, I stood and spoke to the man. I apologized for our noise, but said that he could have been a little more polite. This sent the man reeling. He placed his pointer finger about an inch from my nose and shouted, “SHUT UP!” He then ranted about how we were kids who didn’t know anything about the world and that we were rude and inappropriate. I told him that I was sorry he was having a bad night, but I was here to have a nice evening and to please keep his crabbiness to himself.

Evan returned to check on me (with his security guy in tow) and told the man that we were here to enjoy our mother’s concert and asked him to just leave us alone. This was the worst thing to do! Now it became all about how ashamed our mother should be that we were acting this way to a fan (this man didn’t seem like he was a fan of anything)! I was confused by the way he reacted towards us. I really didn’t think I did anything wrong! This went on for the whole intermission and then the man got REALLY nasty! He started yelling about how I obviously forgot to take my meds (I don’t take medication by the way, but don’t think its something to yell at someone about) and to get over myself.

I think I’m usually pretty calm and collected but by this time, I had reached my peak (and I started to cry). My brothers, Evan and Ross (who are extremely protective of their sisters) went and got security. They pulled the man out, who claimed to be a police officer (I definitely would NOT want to get pulled over by this raging lunatic) and spoke to him. They were also able to move my friends and I to another box (an even better one close up and next to nice, happy people)!

Though we missed the beginning of the mom’s performance, once we got settled the show was FABULOUS! Mom wore a gorgeous white dress then she did a quick change into a black lacey number and finally a yellow princess gown. She sang many crowd favorites (I’m Coming Out, Love Hangover, You Cant Hurry Love and Reach out and Touch) and we danced up a storm as she rocked the house. I also got to meet many of mom’s fans (who are all so sweet and kind to me here on my website/blog and on myspace)!

Even though, the night started out rocky, in the end my friends and I had a FABULOUS time and didn’t let the crabby man ruin our evening!

Saturday was way less stressful and even more FABULOUS! Some of my friends from high school and college had decided to visit on the same weekend as the show. My friend Casey (from high school) and her new husband Greg (see July 2, 2008 blog) came down from San Francisco (they literally just got back from their honeymoon), my friend Mary (from college) and Annie (who I happened to go to high school and college with) all made the trip. I was able to get a booth for 6, so with one extra seat, my LA friend Samantha joined the evening festivities too.

We shopped for wine and Greg and Annie picked out the good stuff. (I know NOTHING about wine except that I like it) and cheese and marmalade, crackers, boursin and olives! With our fine assortment, we went ALL out and took an SUV with a driver to the HOLLYWOOD BOWL (If your gonna drink multiple bottles of wine… be prepared! Get a car, take a cab, just don’t get behind the wheel)!

We arrived early this time and had plenty of time to set up our table arrangements, greet family, friends and mom fans before the Philharmonic took to the stage. After the National Anthem, I zipped my lips and didn’t even crack a smile for their whole set (this is very serious stuff, obviously).

When mom took the stage, she was better than ever (maybe jut because I was relaxed and in a much better mood)! We sang along to the oldies, swayed to the Lady Sings The Blues hits and danced to the newer stuff. Mom looked radiant in her gorgeous gowns and she seemed to be having as much fun as we were (Halle Berry was having a FABULOUS time too! She was rocking out in a box right behind us). We were all having a great time and the show ended too soon!

Needless, to say, even with a couple small grumpy, bumps in the road, I had a FABULOUS time at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL!

Check out the schedule and see a show yourself at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL!
www.hollywoodbowl.com
Just remember NO TALKING during the LA Philharmonic!!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gene S. said...

Hi Chudney,
You're right! It was a fantastic weekend Got to see you, your as beautiful as ever. Your siblings were all super nice and truly friendly and polite. Tracee was having a good time she asked if I would take a picture with her and Carolin and Andreas from the Diana Ross International Fan Site, with their Professional Camera. I'm really terrible with taking a picture, so a friend , Jonathan, who I met up at the Bowl with his friend offered. They came out super! Tracee kept going back and forth, where I happen to be sitting, by luck, in back of Debbie Allen(I love her), to where you were seated. Now I know, Maybe she was just trying to get away from the crazy man in your area. You were not alone with people being grumpy. The older couple(Yes older than me) sitting behind me, as well as other were complaining about a guy, who was having a great time with everybody dancing, singing to your mother's songs( the way your mother's concerts are always, fun!) and basically cussing anyone who told him to tone it down. Tracee Thought someone was shushing her, I told her what was going on and she said he was just excited. She had a word with Security,who by this time, was all around me. The guy was in my row. I felt a little like Rodney king, right before the beating!(Can't we all just get-a-long!!!LOL. They talked with him and gave him a warning. But he got booted in the end anyway. Hell, even Debbie and I was trying to party when the boss came on, there was a Dragqueen I call woo woo, because she kept say woo woo to the songs the way they used to in the disco days, trying to get the audience going, but when we saw security coming, we put our Halos over our heads And played like those grouchy people with the occasional clap, here and there.

Saturday I was sitting along in the first row garden box when two ladies(beautiful by the way) joined my box. They said they were friends of Evan. Anyway, after awhile we all agreed we are there to party, SO WE DID! We stood and clap , scream and sing along to your mom's songs. There was a fourth person, a very nice lady from Detroit, Who flew to L.A. Just to see your Mother. She has been to about 30 concerts of your mom. WOW! So for once I had a marvelous evening meeting and seeing wonderful people and friends. And the best yet, This time it was not just in my head! Thanks Chudney for making it a dream night for an old foggie like me! :) Best-Gene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosser Ruth! lol said...

What a wonderful show :) I'm so jealous of those who made both! Would love to have been there on the Saturday, but work called and the bills gotta get paid. It was lovely to get the chance to say a quick hello...hope you didn't mind me doing that? As you know, I flew a long way just for the show and it seemed like such an opportunity I wouldn't have again to say "hi" kowing you were there too. It really was nice to just say hi to the person behind all these blogs :) I put a little blog about my LA trip on my "my space"...you might like a nosey at it seeing as you were there too. Hope you enjoy.

BlakeLovesCHO said...

It's terrible that you were harassed like that! I was at the Saturday show and had a great time! Unfortunately, our seats were farther back, but at least there weren't any hardcore Philharmonic fans/etiquette freaks near us!

I was also at the show at the Gibson back in November. I saw you from a distance, looking very cute, along with your siblings. I was unaware that your grandfather had passed away, and your mom put on an excellent show, especially under the circumstances!

It would have been nice to meet you at one of these shows. Maybe someday soon!

amera said...

Hello Chudney;

There are a few things I would like to add to my original comment...on the HOLLYWOOD BOWL.
As expressed earlier....I am so ver blessed to have attended both shows...and in one word they were absolutely .....MAGNIFICENT!!!!
I am currently celebrating [45]forty five years with none other than the DYNAMIC MISS ROSS!!!
When she fisrt busrt onto the scene in 1960....[I can barely believe it has been that long].
MISS ROSS certainly must be doing something right...as she is even mors amazing now...than she was when she first started.
Like fine wine...MISS ROSS...just get better with age.
Followed this LADY...through each note of every song she has sung...through every decade...every hasir style...and each and every costume change.
I was reading that Andreas and Caroline have been to [50] concerts...I am envious....[not really...well maybe just a little].
Any one....in my opinion who loves MISS ROSS that much...is quite alright in my book.
Clearly I have a tremendous amount of catching up to do.
Hoping that we ...[the fans] are not measured by the amount of concerts we attend...but rather by the loyalty of all the years we have spent...admiring this amazing talent.
Having seen many perfomers over the years...for the most part you see them once...and really have no desire to see them again.
Not so with MISS ROSS...seems the more we see her...the more we want to see...[if this makes any sense at all].
Any one who is a fan will understand precisely what I am trying to convey.
Perosnlally...I pray that we have many many more years with THIS LADY!

I am looking forward....GOD WILLING to another [45] years!!!!

'THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC...more importantly....THANK YOU FOR BEING!

We all love...and need you!!!


LOVE
amera

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amera said...

Hello Chudney;


Having been blessed by attending both concerts at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL..and expressing just what you MOTHER represents to me.

I decided to add a few more things..which you will find I will do from time to time.
As I said before...there is never enough said about this truly remarkable LADY...and the incredible talent that she pocesses.
This is what MISS DIANA ROSS means:

Mesmerizing...
Impeccable...
Strong...
Seductive...

Dynamic...
Incredibly...
Amazing...
Noble...
Astonishingly....

Regal...
Outstanding...
Style...
Sensual...and Sexy...

This is what THE LADY means to me!

After all these decades....MISS ROSS IS STILL....THE BOSS!!!!

Love
Amera

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.