Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BEAUTY SECRETS / ADVICE


Growing up I would sit backstage in my Mom’s dressing room and watch wide eyed as she transformed from sweatpants clad Mommy to GLITTERING SUPERSTAR DIVA. I was mesmerized as she painted on the makeup, applied the long fake lashes, brushed on the bright red nail polish and fluffed the magnificent mane of hair. As she slipped into the sparkling beaded gown and the matching designer stiletto heels, she became my own life-size doll.

Growing up the daughter of a FASHION ICON, one can’t help but be drawn to the world of FASHION and BEAUTY.

I was awkward and shy growing up (I hid behind my huge, tortoise rimmed glasses, frizzy braids, baggy clothes and sneakers), but when no one was around my inner BEAUTY emerged. When the backstage dressing room was empty, I would mount the vanity table and paint my own lips and cheeks and nails. I would drape myself in the gowns of beads and sparkles and shuffled around in stiletto heels. Posing in the mirror, I was a FABULOUS DIVA (though to everyone else I was just a little girl playing dress up).

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more confident and comfortable in my own skin. I think that everyone has within them a GLITTERING SUPERSTAR DIVA. It just takes a mix of beauty and fashion secrets, confidence to know and believe you are FABULOUS!

Here are some BEAUTY tips and secrets I’ve learned through the years (I’m still listening and learning everyday) from my mom, older sisters, friends and even websites (I love beautyblabber.com). Get FABULOUS people and discover your inner BEAUTY!!!

HAIR –
My hair has always been one of my biggest stress points. I wish it would curl into a cascade of ringlets like my sister Tracee’s, but instead it always knotted into a frizzy mess. My hair has always been long, so I never could seem to keep it under control. A couple of years ago, I got the Yuko hair straightening. I miss my curls and frizz now and then, but the ease of having straight hair has made my life a million times less stressful (and saved me a ton of grey hairs). My advice is to love the hair you were given and if you don’t love it FIX IT! Try not to use too much color, chemicals or heat and ALWAYS condition (I love Kerastase, but a cheaper FABULOUS option is Sunsilk Hydra TLC)!

FACE -
I’ve been blessed with pretty clear skin (thank heavens) and I always wash my face in the morning and before I go to bed (ok… almost always! Unless I’m too tired to! Haha)! I just discovered this cheap eye makeup remover by Almay which is awesome to wick away the smokey eye from a night on the town (so you don’t wake up in the morning looking like a raccoon). If I break out, I try not to pick at my zits because it will scar (Don’t pick at your pimples!) and every couple months I treat myself to a facial by Terri Lawton, the woman who works miracles on many Hollywood hotties including Demi Moore (If only I would look like Demi when I’m her age)!

I love to wear makeup, particularly eye makeup! I have big eyes, so why not play it up! My makeup advice is: Don’t over do it! If you wear a smokey eye, go light on the rest of the make up (natural is FABULOUS)! If you wear red lipstick (which is so sexy!), keep it natural everywhere else. Wear lip-gloss always or chapstick! Chapped lips are NOT FABULOUS! I just learned how to put on fake eyelashes! I buy them for $3 at CVS and rock them when I go out on the town. Fake eyelashes are FABULOUS for sure!

BODY –
Clean is good. I love a good long soak in a tub or a steamy hot shower. I think bar soap is gross, so I always use a yummy smelling shower gel! I moisturize like a crazy lady (I hate being ashy or so dry I feel itchy). I think Aveno is amazing and not too expensive. I always have clean-shaven legs and arm pits. You never know when the man of your dreams might run his hand over your thigh (prickly is not cute)! Hairy armpits are stinky and stinky is NOT FABULOUS! I wax (my nether regions), but I think that is a personal preference. Some people like to go bush whacking ☺ Ha! Ha! I would love to try laser hair removal, but it’s so expensive. My advice: always be clean and moisturized!

TEETH –
Dental hygiene is so important. Not only so you don’t have stank breath, but because when you smile as BIG as I do, your teeth are the first thing people see. Brush those teeth twice a day (at least), floss more than I do (I should take my own advice. I usually floss once a month!) and visit the dentist regularly. I get my teeth cleaned every six months (which is luckily covered under my insurance). I’ve had 2 root canals when I was younger (OUCH) and I don’t want any more!

NAILS–
Manicures and pedicures are so cheap here in LA that I usually get one every 2 weeks. I feel clean, sexy and put together with a nice French Mani / Pedi. In between my manicures, I play with colored nail polish. Red is hot for a night out. Black is sleek and sexy. Light colors or white are fun in the summer. Sometimes, I feel WILD and paint each nail a different color or alternate two colors.

FRAGRANCE –
Being clean is the best fragrance, but I always like to jazz things up with a little perfume. My mom gives us Joe Malone candles and perfume for Christmas. I LOVE the rose and vintage gardenia! Right now, I mostly wear Gucci Rush, but I have to say I also like Paris Hilton’s fragrance (shoot me!) and Britney’s ain’t bad either! Smelling sweet and fresh is always a better option than musty and sweaty!

COSMETIC SURGERY –
I am not opposed to fixing your flaws if it would make you more happy and confident, but it is NOT for me. I think our differences and uniqueness is what makes us beautiful and special. There are days I hate the bump on my nose or wish my chest would fill out my top better, but at the end of the day I am happy with me! Concerning Cosmetic surgery, my advice is to put A LOT of thought into it before hand, chose a reputable doctor and DON’T OVER DO IT! Maybe a little botox for me in my future, but for right now I’m all good!

Discover your inner BEAUTY people and flaunt it!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT ADVICE Ms. C!!! I'm going out right now to get me some "Mango-flavored shower gel"...LOL!!! And I know I need 2 get to the dentist...I smile too much :)
"ps...I luv your blogs"...it's like my life (even though my blogs would be the "ghetto" version...Ha!) peace and love!

Anonymous said...

You write so well Chud and with alot of humor and amazing tips too, even for us boyz. Aveno is a great product actually, i am a product junkie and your blog had some great tips. I'll skip the nail polish tips though keep the others. (LOL)
Anyways you're such beautiful girl and also beauty is as beauty does, but any/all tips from someone who knows more than i do it always welcome. Aging can be a bitch so you might be my new beauty guru!
I have some awesome tips too i can turn u onto, good for guys and girls! Either way this was really interesting and thanks too. Cory :)
xoc

Veronica said...

Chudney, your blog was helpful but it left me with a few questions. What do you do to keep your teeth so white? Also, what product line does Terri Lawton use on your face? Oh, and I have had my first laser treatment done on my armpits and also my bikini area. It hurt me really bad while I was getting it done. BUT, once she was done the pain was gone. There was no after pain. Thank god because I don't think I could go through with the following treatments if that were the case. I don't think it's that expensive! You live once-do it up!!! I can't wait to not have to get waxed or shave!!! WOOWHO!!! It's going to be so worth it!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That photo is awesome! You look fabulous! What a stunner! I agree that inner beauty is the most important. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. People notice the outer you first and go from there. Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks that you think on me and for shaving your legs. You know also that our time will come very soon.


The Man of your Dreams


ps: I can't wait to hold you in my arms and to kiss you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chud
I love it when Miss Diana is all dresses up. It's OK to be casual but the pics of your Mom on TMZ.com in sweat pants are improper. Still, however, I do think my favorite diva--Miss Ross--shouldn't be at Ralph's in sweat pants. Some nice jeans (think Workin' Overtime) would look better in People Mag.

Anonymous said...

Bitch, you are damn ugly. Get over yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney-

That is a gorgeous pic of you in the navy blue dress. You really look great!

I enjoyed reading your beauty tips even if I'm of the male persuasion =) I was glad to read that your mom buys you Jo Malone candles and such. I actually love Jo Malone's Fig fragrance. I wear it and also burn the candles. I get lots of comments on how "clean" and "fresh" I always smell =)

I also got a kick reading about the little girl with glasses secretly trying on her mom's glamorous gowns. Did anyone ever catch you dressed up like that?! You could write a book someday about all of it.

Well....keep up the good blogging and have a fabulous weekend whatever you do!

Best-
Tarquin in LA

Anonymous said...

Speaking of being clean I just washed my face do you need a clean place to sit?

Anonymous said...

good advice... i'm TOTALLY barrowing your idea for $3 eyelashes at CVS (never even thought of that, how clever!! Thanks!)

also does waxing hurt... down there... ? Or is it not that big of a deal. I get my eyebrows waxes all the time (actually I used to do them for others in a salon), but none of my friends get that type of waxing, and I'm scared, but interested -- seems like it would last muchlonger than clipping.

Anyway you'll probably never answer this question, but that never stopped me from asking before.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your advice and body and dental hygiene, and I am about to be able to relate to you about root canals, because I am going to get one myself in addition to some other work, so I can understand fully it is not cool to neglect your teeth, it hurts your appearance and wallet.

dalia said...

i have been away for a while. i love this post, true to my own heart as a part-time makeup artist (among other things... can we say jill of all trades?)

i, too, have big eyes, and love love love me some shadow. and because i have a darker skin tone, it allows me to play with pigments and mixing. such fun.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how down to earth you are!! Excellent tips on beauty and it's also nice to see that you are quite funny too!! I am reading your blog from England and I think I will be a 'regular' on it from now on.

Keep up the good work!!