Wednesday, February 6, 2008

NEW YORK FASHION WEEK


In the past my high glam partying has revolved around Fashion Weeks from East to West and this New Year seems to have started out no differently. I had decided to NOT go to NEW YORK FASHION WEEK after not getting a hosting gig with Full Frontal Fashion (I totally think they could use a little fresh, funny and extremely sexy new talent… but that’s just me). BUT at the last minute, I changed my mind. My new friend Brittny Gastineau was going and I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun and partying (you know, I love a good party!)

Off I jetted on Virgin America’s new flight from LA to NY. This is the hidden gem of airlines. Online, I bought a super cheap flight (cheaper than Jet Blue and with TVs in the seats too). I was able to check in online at home, and drop my bag at a counter with a very stylishly dressed, smiling lady. There was NO line! It was the easiest airport experience I’ve had in a loooong time. The plane was close to empty, so I had a whole row to myself. I alternated between watching MTV, writing, reading my magazines and sleeping sprawled across my 3 seats.

I arrived in NYC at 10pm refreshed and ready for a night on the town. I dropped my bags at my mom’s apartment and headed straight to meet some friends at Cipriani Downtown. I chowed on the baked tangolini pasta with ham (so fattening, but sooooo worth it! Delicious!) Then we stopped by a hotspot called Curio where I danced on the small dance floor until everybody was pushed aside for a burlesque dancer with feathers. Less than enthralled by the show, we headed back out into the cold. Nikki Hilton fluttered passed on our way out (I wonder if she enjoyed the booby dancer more than we did. Hehe!)

We headed uptown to a party where a friend of a friend Aiden Turner (from All My Children) was spinning tunes. The party was an odd mix of people, dancing a little too fast and out of control (not really my scene), so I headed home to rest up for the Fashion Week ahead.

Sunday, I met up with Ariel and Eric from Miami and headed to the tents at Bryant Park for the Diane Von Furstenburg show. I was going as Ariel’s guest, but there was some issue with our names being on the list (mortifying!) Instead of standing around looking like an idiot, I hightailed it out of there, returned to my apartment to change out of my very schnazzy Missoni dress and throw on some jeans (So much for being fabulous at Fashion Week). I headed to my friend Mary’s Super Bowl party. I gorged myself on Jambalaya and Mac & cheese and drank wine as I cheered on the Giants! (Well, mostly I watched the commercials and half time show, but what ever. GO TEAM!)

Monday, I decided to give Fashion Week another go. I glammed up in my new striped Mason dress that I got for Christmas and headed to the tents with Brittny. Again, no seats and confusion and mayhem which was AGAIN totally embarrassing and not fun at all (isn’t this supposed to be FABULOUS and fun?) Next time, I will RSVP on my own and not rely on other people who leave me seat-less and scrambling (UGH!)

As the lights went dim and the show started, we were able to highjack two empty seats. Bongo players kept the beat as the models stalked the runway in French inspired berets and flouncy party dresses. Betsey Johnson finished the show by cart-wheeling down the runway (she’s got some skills for an older woman). Always entertaining!

After the show, we left the tents to grab a bite to eat at the Mercer hotel (FABULOUS) with Jason Preston (Marc Jacobs boyfriend who is such a sweetheart. If he were straight I would try and steal him away). We chatted over salads and cocktails, but then I headed home to rest up for the night ahead (which is always a LOOONG when your out partying in New York).

I started the evening with dinner at Philippe’s (I had my birthday here and it is so good) with friends Mary and Lydia. We drank wine and gorged ourselves on lettuce cups, crispy beef, chicken satay, seaweed and the most to-die-for chocolate caramel dessert! After dinner I rolled... I mean headed to the Joie party at the Rose Bar in the Gramercy hotel to meet my friend Grason. My friend (and ex-French lover) Nico was DJing. He rocks the most awesome random mix of tunes from French rap to Michael Jackson. We danced and drank and danced and drank then headed home to hit the hay at 2:30am (not bad by NY standards).

Tuesday, I had lunch with Mary and then hit a couple smaller shows with Lydia. Doucette and Duvall was a cool presentation that looked like an editorial shoot for Vogue. The models struck poses all around a snazzy suite at the Ritz Carlton (a little weird, but kinda cool and I liked the dresses). We stayed for about three and a half minutes then headed downtown to the Tiffany Koury show at the National Arts Club. I felt bad because there were a lot of empty seats and not very organized, but I thought the dresses were fun and the gift bag was even better (Cookies and the dieting book “Skinny Bitch.” Strange combo, but FABULOUS!)

I headed home to rest up, shower and change for the night ahead, which actually started 5pm. I had cocktails with Brittny and some of her friends where I took a particular liking to Fabian Basabe (New York socialite known for his party animal ways who was on Rich Kids Cattle Drive with Brittny). He is hysterical and extremely entertaining, so I decided to tag along with him on his wild evening adventures.

First, we stopped by the ASW party (asmallworld.com which is like myspace for rich people) at Ivanka Trump’s store where we had cocktails and posed for some pics (this is what socialites do, u know). Then off to the Jimmy Choo dinner to celebrate the new book “Celebutantes” (by celebutantes Ruthanna Hopper and Amanda Goldberg). I chatted Nicole Fiscelle from Gossip Girls, ate pasta, salad and veggies and made new friends with Zani Gugelmann (another socialite… if only I was still writing the original blog, this would be a dream night! Ha! Ha!) Next, Zani, Fabian and I headed downtown to the Prada party (the hottest and most anticipated party of Fashion Week) It was crowded, but good for people watching (I spotted the Heatherette boys, Chase Crawford and Ginnifer Goodwin) while a weird band called CocoRosie garbled onstage.

As if the night wasn’t already long enough, I left Prada to meet up with Brittny at The Rose Bar in the Gramercy hotel. When I arrived she was ready to leave (awesome) so we followed the crowd to One Oak. Evan was there! He had a stop over in NY on his way to see one of his films at the Berlin Film Festival (My brother is such an amazing talent and a great little bro to boot). I chatted with the ladies of Danity Kane and danced on the banquet, but could barely keep my eyes open so headed home (4am more appropriate by NY standards. Exhausted!)

My last day in New York, I was hung over! I puttered around the apartment packing and cleaning. I ate a bagel and bid NY farewell. Brittny was on my plane home, which seemed like it took forever (6 hours, which seemed like an eternity). We entertained ourselves by having a wine and cheese party. U can order all sorts of food right from your seat on the touch TV screen (God, I love Virgin America!)

So maybe this FASHION WEEK wasn’t as FABULOUS and fashionable as ones past, but I had a good time. I made new friends, socialite party hopped and returned to LA exhausted (as always) and happy to be home!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chudney,

Tonight I received an email from the Brilliant Lecture Series folks. The email says the due to a situation beyond their control (they put it in caps), we get to be in the presence of Miss Diana Ross only and their photographers are not allowed to take photos with guest who have VIP tickets as promised; tickets my husband bought for me even though it is his birthday and I am the one who wants to go. The reception will now be after her talk and not before, which was perfect for me within the original plan for I have a huge after-party planned at one of our restaurants in Midtown and thereafter to our home in Tanglewood. I love myself some Diana...always have and probably always will. My mother passed from cancer in 2001 and her style, grace, and glamour were legendary in NYC. My mom was stunning with beautiful eyes like your mother and that something special. Your mom often reminds me of mine and I admired her artistry...one of the best performers I have ever seen and one who has delighted me for 30 plus years. Not sure if I will attend reception; enjoying the conversation, if I go. I hope the V.I.P tix benefit a charity, one that we will match dollar for dollar in the charity my husband and I have. I hope your mother is well and best of luck to her.

Kimmie

Anonymous said...

I love Fashion Week! I'm glad you always take me with you! Are you going to do any modeling in any of the LA shows? You mentioned your brother Evan. He is featured in the March 2008 Essence Magazine Hollywood Edition, "Rising Stars." Great photo! Glad you had fun at the parties! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chudney-

Well, at this point I am certainly living vicariously through you and your blog.

It has always been my dream to attend NY Fashion week and I loved reading about your adventures in the Big Apple. I'm glad u had a fun time.

You fabulous creature you!!

Take care and Happy Valentines Day in advance =)

Love, Tarquin

uniquelovely said...

hi , just reading your fun day, kind of lifted me. i have just lost my father 4 days ago, and i still cant believe that i wont speak to him anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney
Question: What is going on with the pictures of Miss Diana Ross
? There is lots of email traffic and web traffic about "no pictures" or "no video screen closeups of Miss Ross". Why? I had my binoculars at the LA show ( and was seated close to the front and Diana looked great. If anything this only drawing more attention to this story.
Yes--we can all stand to loose a few pounds but do we really expect Miss Ross to look like she did in 'Work that Body" or in Central Park in '83? She still looks better than Cher or Tina Turner