Wednesday, December 26, 2007

SKIING IN SNOWMASS


Ever since I was little my mom would take my sisters and me skiing in the winter. I was never a big fan, preferring to hang with mom in the lodge sipping hot chocolate or basking in the sun off the side of a trail with my stepsister, Leona.

Then one day, out of the blue I decided maybe I would move to Colorado and become a ski bum. It seems an odd choice for the fair weather skier, but I was a bit lost and confused about my next step in the world and Aspen seemed like a cool place to take my first real independent move.

I meant to stay for a year to “find myself” but instead I found love (my first love and first real boyfriend, Dallas) and fell head over heals for the mountain air. I stayed almost 4 years (year round). Legend says that the Arapahoe Indians put a curse on the mountains making it impossible to leave… I believe it.

Even now, almost 9 years later when the snow begins to fall and the mountain opens to skiers, I can’t help but return. I love the full on ski bum life, crashing on my friend’s couches, teaching skiing and playing in the snow (Peanut loves it too! He was born in Littleton, CO in May 2003 and still has a soft spot for the mountains. He loves running thru the snow wearing his little white sweater, freezing his little paws).

I am so blessed that Aspen Ski Company lets me come back and teach every year. When I first started I taught Bears (3-4 year old) and Grizzles (5-7 year olds) full time in Snowmass (the biggest of the four mountains in Aspen). It’s amazing how quickly these tiny kids pick up skiing. By the end of the third day most are ripping down Fanny Hill (the bunny slope).

Now when I return I mostly teach private lessons to kids that I have been teaching since they were little. One little girl named Sabrina, I have been teaching since she was a 3 year old who was more interested in drinking hot chocolate and coloring pictures than hitting the slopes. Now, at 9 years old, she cruises all 4 mountains at mock speeds and I totally have to push myself to keep up (I better keep working on my skiing or she is gonna be WAY better than me in no time)! It’s amazing to watch and be a part of that progression.

Through my teaching and my trips to Aspen, I have found an amazing love of skiing. I would rather be cruising on the blue runs, than hiking in double black diamond terrain any day BUT I would definitely rather be out skiing than sitting in the lodge with a hot chocolate (or working in an office for that matter)!

Skiing in Snowmass (Aspen) is FABULOUS!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year 2008. This year will be our year. We both will meet each other for the first time in life. After you looked me deep in the eyes, you are deep in love with me. The same will happened to me after I looked in your sexy eyes.


The Man of your Dreams


ps: You must teach me a little bit in skiing and than we will have much fun together in the snow of Aspen!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing lady! You can do everything! Blessed with so many talents, I hope this new year brings you more gifts, health, wealth, happiness and joy. Happy New Year and best of luck with the book(s)! Thanks for sharing.

Cicely said...

That's so cool that you can ski. I tried it one time and I'll NEVER do it again! LOL

Divalish said...

Well Helllooo Chudney!

Well, I should admit after being a closet observer of your Blog for a number of months now, I've decided to take a moment to connect and to say hello. I should also admit that I am a huge fan of your Mom, the Supreme Diva, and that we (you and I) actually briefly exchanged glances backstage at the after-party for your Mom after following her performance at the Gibson Theater last year. You are very, very beautiful young woman Chudney, and I was amused that one of the young ladies you were with that night actually looked like she could be your sister; although I know very well who your sisters are. LOL!

Being from Colorado myself, I fully understand your inability to completely sever your ties from that magical spot known as Aspen. And yes, it is ever so FABULOUS!

Anyway, you should know I enjoy your Blog so very much and hope you will never stop entertaining us with your Social Butterfly narratives!

With Love,
diana

Divalish said...

This is hilarious!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyNK7H7vcs&feature=email