Wednesday, December 5, 2007

CHILDREN'S BOOKS


Congrats to me! I’ve finally gotten a FABULOUS book deal with HarperCollins and soon my books will be on the shelves of your local bookstore…. So keep your eyes peeled!

I’ve been working on a series of middle readers (chapter books with pictures) called BEAN’S BOOKS for what seems like FOREVER. Getting a book published is a super long process of creativity and perseverance. While sitting at the Coffee Bean or hanging out the library, I have been writing and writing, and writing some more. Now that writing is starting to pay off! I landed a great NY literary agent and now an impressive offer from one of the best, most highly acclaimed publishing houses. FABULOUS!

Even though the contracts are signed, there is still much work ahead of me (re-writes and more re-writes… so don’t hold your breathe while you are waiting for it to hit the shelves).

There are a ton of amazing children’s books out there to entertain you (and your kids) till BEAN’S BOOKS hit the shelves. Here are some of my favorites from childhood and many that have inspired my writing today:

Shel Silverstein is my number one favorite writers of all time. His books of poetry (WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and THERE’S A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC) still inspire me, make me laugh and fill my heart with joy. Growing up, I would memorize poems from the collection and perform them for my family at dinner. I still know many by heart and they dance through my head right now as I write about them.

IF YOU ARE A DREAMER,
COME IN,
IF YOU ARE A DREAMER,
A WISHER, A LIAR’
A HOPE-ER, A PRAY-ER
A MAGIC BEAN BUYER…


Shel Silverstein also wrote THE GIVING TREE, an amazing story of love, sharing and giving. I keep this book on my shelf and still today give it as a gift to loved ones. It’s a beautiful story that makes me smile. Also by Shel Silverstein is THE MISSING PIECE about a circle missing a part and trying to find the one thing that will make him whole. THE MISSING PIECE is FABULOUS story of finding yourself and realizing you have everything inside to make you whole.

Other picture books that stand out from my childhood are those by Dr. Seuss. His rhythmic style is amazing. I can’t imagine how he came up with a whole book (actually a ton of books) that are completely in rhyme and still tell fun, silly stories. OH THE PLACES YOU’LL GO is my favorite. It’s an inspirational story that’s fun and the pictures and characters are amazing. I received multiple copies at both my high school and college graduations. Other standout titles by Dr. Seuss are HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, GREEN EGGS AND HAM and HOP ON POP. They are so funny with creative characters and silly pictures.

Another standout Picture book is WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE Are by Maurice Sendack. This book opens up a wild world of imagination with Max in his wolf suit as your guide. This was one of my favorite bedtime reads.

When I started writing and my first lit agent suggested I write middle readers, I started to read all that was out there. There are a lot of ones that don’t stand out in this age group (which is why it was so exciting to step into this venue) but I did find a couple series that are FABULOUS!

The JUNIE B. JONES series is hysterical. Each story is relatable and funny. Targeted at a little younger age group than I write for, I still learned so much about character development from this series.

JUDY MOODY is also very current and hip with a fun and relatable characters. The stories are fun and a little closer to the audience I am writing for.

Another series that is still pretty new is CLEMENTINE. I like these because they have multiple story lines and more sophisticated writing, but are still fun, entertaining and dealing with real issues kids face.

When I was young, I loved all books by Beverly Cleary. She has an amazing talent to make you laugh out loud while reading about characters that are going through things you go through too. The Ramona series is what I aspire my BEAN’S BOOKS to be like. A young, fun, silly main character that we root for at every turn and yet feel for because of her shortcomings. The Ramona series was a long lasting, inspiring series that spanned not only books, but TV shows, film and merchandise (OH... the possibilities!! I’m can’ to captivate the world with my stories!)

Judy Blume is also a stand out author from my childhood. FRECKLE JUICE, SUPER FUDGE, TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING made me laugh and I understood the things the characters were going through (everyday struggles of regular kids growing up). Listening to my sisters read out loud from Judy Blume’s, ARE YOU THERE GOD, ITS ME MARGARET was the first I learned about girls maturing (getting boobs and periods and stuff). I giggled in the darkness, but related and delighted in Margaret’s growth and struggle.

If I can make people laugh the way SUPER FUDGE made me laugh, teach like I learned from MARGARET and relate to kids like RAMONA THE PEST, I will be the most ecstatic writer around!

Though I’m not big into fantasy and science Fiction, I have to give recognition to the Harry Potter series which brought a love of reading back to children in an age where TV rules. My brother was obsessed with the books and I read most as well (and saw the movies… Obviously!)

Another fantasy hit from my childhood was The Chose Your Own Adventure series. At the end of each page you could chose where to go and what to do. “If you want to travel to the moon, turn to page 6. If you choose to stay on earth and hide in the jungle go to page 12.”

I loved reading while I was growing up. Being a little awkward and a bit of a nerd, there was always a great escape waiting in the pages of a book. Kids these days use the TV for this same feeling, but a book can stimulate your mind in ways that a TV just serves to you. I still love reading today and I’m excited to bring my creative fantasies into the lives of young readers. It’s truly FABULOUS to be able to call myself an author!

Now it’s time for holiday shopping, people. Get out there and inspire young minds with BOOKS as presents!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAH! I wish you the best with your books. Your blog has shown what a fantastic writer you are and I hope all goes well. Can't wait to see you on Oprah or maybe the View! Can't wait to see Peanut's performance on UGLY BETTY tonight. I'm passing up SMALLVILLE for this but I think it's a rerun anyway. You looked really beautiful at the KENNEDY HONORS. Thanks for shaaring!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of children reading rather than watching the violence on TV or video games. Please write of peace and understand and hope.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Chudney. When one aspiring writer makes progress, other aspiring writes are encouraged! Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chudney! What a wonderful accomplishment. I'm sure once your books hit the stands the bookstores won't be able to keep up with the demand. I'm an aspiring writer myself, and it's very encouraging to see another writer get in the game. What a wonderful holiday gift. Blessings to you!

~Leonada

Eb the Celeb said...

Congratulations... and love the personality you bring forth on the blog

Unknown said...

Congrats on your book deal and continued success!!!