Wednesday, September 2, 2009

MOVIE IN THE CEMETERY


Last Saturday, My friend Pearl, her fiancĂ© and my boyfriend went to a Cinspia screening at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. What better place to watch a movie in LA than lounging on the grass near a tombstone. I know it sounds strange to watch a scary movie while hanging with the dead, but let me tell you… this was a FABULOUS experience.

The line was long to get in, but we scored a sweet plot on the grass not too far from the screen. We had packed up a cooler full of dinner and treats (wine and cheese, sandwiches and cookies), blankets and pillows and we ate and drank under the stars till the lights went out and the movie began.

I’m usually not a fan of horror flicks. I am a bit of a scaredy cat, you know! But, when Pearl (my oldest friend – We’ve been friends since we were 5 years old) invited me to check out the Cinespia screening of American Werewolf in London, I agreed. I had ever seen the film and I had heard lots of fun stories about watching movies in the cemetery. I thought what better time to check it out!

An American Werewolf in London is a 1981 comedy/horror film, written and directed by John Landis. The movie won an Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Makeup. Over the years, the film has become a cult favorite and I can see why. It was awesome. We howled at the moon, screamed to warn the actors that there was a werewolf behind them and laughed at the transformations and effects (Boy, have we come far since the 80’s). I wasn’t scared at all. It was actually hysterical

Watching a movie chilling on a blanked with glass of wine, yummy food and friends is FABULOUS!

There are only a couple shows left this summer, so head to Hollywood Forever Cemetery (6000 Santa Monica Boulevard in the Hollywood) for a movie in this historic (and spooky) location. You never know, you may see a ghost of pop up next to you to watch the show.

A few tips …
1. Bring a picnic of dinner and drinks (alcohol is allowed)
2. Ticket Price $10
3. Park on the grounds for only $5
4. A DJ spins tunes before and after the show
5. Bring pillows and blankets (but no tall chairs or dogs allowed)

For more info visit: www.cinespia.org

9 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thanks for the interesting update! I didn't even know that anything like this even existed. Wow, it sounds like it is a lot of fun, but is also sounds like a frightening experience, too. (I know that we have come a long way with technology and our cinematography since the 80s, so I am sure that many of the movies are absolutely hilarious to see!) I would give it a try! That is a fabulous and creative way to spend a beautiful summer night! Thanks again for all of the cool tips and great details!

Hope that you have a great Labor Day Weekend!!!! I can't believe that we are at this point already. It is so sad to see the summer officially end! But again, hope you enjoy the weekend and give summer a fabulous send-off!

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. Say "Happy Birthday" to Evan for me! I heard about his MJ tribute birthday party.

Anonymous said...

Boy, have we come far since the 80’s

Nice

Gene S. said...

Hi Kiddo,
I heard frpm friends about Hollywood Forever Cemetery doing this. But as a kid, my mom would tell us scary bedtime stories about the dead. one of them was about how they would suck out the air of the living who passes their eternal resting place. I now know just how nuts that sounds, but as a kid, i was just that gullible or plain stupid to have believed it. So as FABULOUS as your outing sounds. I think I gonna that a pass on it. LOL!!! Take care and oh yeah, just one one thing-BOO!!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/crazylife007

Freddie said...

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON at a cemetery?!?!?! No way! Weren't you afraid of Zombies? I hate Zombies! I loved that movie though. The songs fit perfectly and the werewolf transformation, at that time anyway, was fantastic. There is a remake of the original WOLFMAN coming out soon. Looks really scary! I can't wait for that one! Not in a cemetery though.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chudney scary blog. You sounded as if it was fun cause you had your man there to protect you if u got scared. But no thanks for me I just can not see myself at a cemetery watching a scary movie. I don't watch scary movies at my house so I know being at a cemetery is out. I look forward to every week reading ur blogs. Thank you for this week blog, Lena!!!lol

Anonymous said...

Six months on myspace, and only nine friends????

http://www.myspace.com/461623379

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something you should be doing for Halloween. Here in San Jose California we go to the Midnight tour of the Winchester Mystery House every Halloween and every Friday the 13. Sara Winchster (of the Winchester Rifle Co.) Loved the # 13. This house has stairs and doors that lead to nowhere. Rooms with 13 fireplaces and bathrooms with 13 holes in the sinks. Windows with 13 panes...etc. Look it up on line. It is very Interesting and sounds like similar fun to "Movie in the Cemetary"

Ross Fan said...

Hi Chudney
Just watched Barbara Walters interview LaToya Jackson tonight on 20/20. Barbara asked about Diana being 2nd in line for Michael's kids. Answer: Katherine and Diana will have to answer that. When is Mom going to speak to the public? Thank you for your consideration. Hugs.