Wednesday, August 12, 2009

6-MAN MANHATTAN BEACH


Last weekend, I went down to Manhattan Beach with my friend Zoe to check out the 6-MAN Volleyball tournament. Each year, thousands of drunken fans cluster onto the beach by the pier to watch over 100 teams dressed in silly costumes compete. Among the teams are world-class volleyball players, AVP pros and local beach players dressed as Mexican wrestlers, Girl Scouts, Strippers and anything else you can imagine.

I’ve had tons of fun partying on the beach packed with people in years past. Sadly though, last year, I didn’t make it. As I was leaving a party in Malibu to head south, my car was sideswiped on the PCH and I ended up in the hospital (check out August 13, 2008 blog). This year, I was excited to hit the beach to party again.

Zoe and I decided to take a cab since parking is always ridiculous and sure enough traffic stopped short as we got close to the pier. Instead of watching the meter tick to an exorbitant amount, we hopped out and walked the rest of the way.

As we turned the corner of Manhattan Beach Blvd, we spotted the crowds down below. OMG! It is shocking how many people filled the beach surrounding the 28 volleyball courts.

We headed down to the sand in search of our friend Kim, which seemed like a lost cause. Costume clad athletes filled the courts and party people spilled out of the tents that lined them. After multiple text messages and missed calls (what did we ever so with out cell phones!?!), we finally spotted Kim chatting up a tall, handsome volleyball player by court 14, which had Santa Clauses playing a heated match against clowns.

Next, we hit to the Smurf tent where we found our friend Julian and I snagged a Smurf baseball cap to shield me from the scolding sun (also a couple jell-o shots)! We bumped into my friend Todd and his girlfriend and cruised the courts to watch the volleyball matches while baking in the sun.

After 5 hours on the beach, I was ready to head home. The ladies where still raring to go and hit the bars, but I chose instead to head out in search of a cab. To my dismay, I walked and walked and walked (thinking I may have to walk all the way home) and found a whole lot of nothing.

It took almost an hour to find a cab. By the time I got home, I was exhausted from the fun filled day in the Manhattan Beach sun... and I did have a FABULOUS tan!

12 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thanks for sharing this with us! I am glad that you had a great time at the beach (and had a much better experience than last year - that was just awful what had happened to you)! Summer is so much fun (although this year summer was very strange on the East Coast (cool and very, very rainy)! Oh well! It is still my favorite season of all! I love to hang out at the beach and spend a lot of time at the pool! (I still went swimming in the rain many days - as long as there was no thunder or lightening - it was okay).

Thanks again for the cool update! I always enjoy reading your blogs and truly appreciate all of the time that you put into them!!!! Happy Wednesday!!!!

Sincerely,

Mark

Anonymous said...

Hello Chudney

It is nice to hear that you took some time off from work and went out and had some fun. I love to go to the beach I always have fun. You are right after a day at the beach the only thing you want to do is go home to rest. I really enjoy reading your blogs thanks for keep it real. Signing out Lena!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your blog but I'm still grieving Michael Jackson, I'm in MJ rehab:(
wouldn't it be nice if your mom, Tina Turner, Gladys Knight, Pattie Labell and others do a concert in his honor with the proceeds to go to one of MJ's charities. Perhaps you can produce it. What do you think?

bungee

Ross fan said...

Hi Chudney--I'm glad you had fun in Manhattan Beach.

I agree with the last post--I would like to see Mom on Larry King addressing Michael Jackson. Chudney--I think he was gay, but couldn't come out to Joe Jackson for fear of his life. I'm sure he told your Mom something. I am still grieving this loss. From the small Motown child to the IV drugs and all the surgery. WHAT happened?! I feel bad. Something was going on that we the public can only speculate on. Listen to LaToya on You Tube describe the abuse.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chudney,(and Ross fan)
I too would like to see Ms. Ross on Larry King... but not to dish gossip and dirt on MJ.. instead, to share some fond memories. And to keep us abreast of any upcoming events you and your family are planing (public events, like concerts, charity events,etc... I'm not into people's personal stuff). I do like your blog though, It is kind of fun to know I can relate to many of the things you do.

Ross fan said...

Hi Chudney--I was thinking if not Larry King, then Barbara Walters should interview your Mom regarding Michael. I've watched the BW interviews between Barbara and your Mom over the years--they are always insightful. Please, have your Mom speak out. I keep watching those U Tube Videos when she calls Michael "my baby" and I can't stop crying.

Carol said...

This message goes out to all on this blog and not Chudney, please leave this blog for commenting on Chudneys activities and as much as we all love her Mom we should keep her out of any debates you may feel about her Moms relationship with Michael Jackson.

This blog is about Chudney Ross not Diana Ross and i love reading about what Chudney gets up to because it is so exciting and FABULOUS so lets keep it real and dont put Chudney in a position where she has to involve her Mom in her blogs and pass messages on, "ITS NOT FAIR ON CHUDNEY" to expect her to tell her Mom what the fans want, and as a true Diana Ross fan myself i really believe that Miss Ross knows what her fans want and doesnt need it ramming down her throat when she gets enough stick from the Paparazzi and the Media.

I agree that if Chudney feels that she wants to mention her Mom in her blogs then thats great as myself and all other fans love to read what Miss Ross has been up to, but thats up to Chudney to decide.

Sorry guys for having this rant, but its just how i feel and Chudney this is for you, please keep these blogs coming, we all love to read what you have been up to and the trip to the beach sounds brilliant, and as for going home early, thats just what i would have done but i am 55 lol.

Love Carol

Freddie said...

I really like this blog. It is at times funny, heart warming and enlightening. I still haven't gotten over my first ski ride! That was really fun! I am not a beach person and all day in the sun is a true bummer for me, but I'm glad you had much fun without incident or accident. The tan is fabulous by the way. Thanks for being a tour guide,a great party hostess and a reviewer of books and movies! I check your blog every week even if I don't always comment.

Thanks for sharing Chudney!

Ross fan said...

Hi Chudney:
One of the reasons I enjoy reading your blog and posting comments from time-to-time, is that you honor and respect different viewpoints. Yes-at times we mention your Mom--the incredible Miss Diana Ross. Thank you for allowing us to do so. I'm not sure why "Carol" is so sensitive about this topic. It is therapeutic for us to post here. I am still grieving over Michael Jackson. Your Mom and Michael were intimately linked together and for a lot us it helps for to have a forum for sharing our pain. Yes-we honor Chudney as a unique person, but then again we also honor your Mother. During these sad days after Michael's death, we yearn for a connection that maybe Diana can provide for us to better understand the tragedy of Michael's passing. I look forward to Barbara Walters, Larry King or Oprah sitting down with your Mom to discuss Michael, the music, the madness, and the love in a meaningful discussion. Perhaps you can teach your Mom to start her own blog as well. Many hugs.

Anonymous said...

Of all the times I posted I can only count one time someone posting about Diana Ross that was not fair to Chud and that was when that person was upset at Diana Ross performance at a show. Carol you should be a little more understanding and for the person who think MJ was gay all you need to do is listen to his song "The Lady In MY Life" from his Thriller Album. You can't posibly be gay and sing that song the way he did. Not to mention "Smooth Criminal" and "Billy Jean" among others. MJ is not gay but a hard core player, that was my dude! And Joe Jackson could be my dad, not takin away from my father but I think he did a good job with his children it was the fame that interupted their lives

Bungee

Carol said...

Hi Ross Fan, i am sorry for coming across sensitive about mentioning Diana Ross in Chudneys blog, i just thought its nice for Chudney to have something of her own, so please accept my apologies if i have upset you, oh and Chudney, i really hope my comments didnt upset you, i love your Mom as well you know that.

Love Carol

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm glad you got to spend this year at Manhattan Beach and not A&E! Secondly, I CANNOT believe it's been a year passing already since your horrible accident. Manhattan Beach isn't far from Hermosa, eh? FABULOUS bike ride to be had from Redondo Beach to Venice and back :)

See you next week :)

Ruth x