Wednesday, July 8, 2009

PHENOMENAL WOMEN


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
- MAYA ANGELOU

7 comments:

Tess said...

I love this poem! It is my all time favorite by Maya Angelou! Thanks for posting...love the pic also!

Freddie said...

Beautiful! I really like the poem. Never read it before.

Thanks for sharing.

Do you get to use the photos from sites like WireImage or Getty and the rest? You have a photo from a recent event where you are tanned to the max and stunning!

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite poem! I can relate to it in many ways. I remember the words of this poem on poetic justice. I am a phenomenal woman a phenomenal woman is me... This poem is wonderful because it uplifts all women in many ways?!!>>>Thanks for sharing LENA!!!!!

Andrew said...

Tracy, you look fabulous. I can tell your loving beein a woman. Apples don't fall far from the tree. You look so beautiful.

Mark said...

Hi Chudney,

Thanks for sharing this cool poem with us! Dr. Maya Angelou is fabulous! I remember hearing a very motivational speech from her live as she was the guest speaker at my cousin's graduation from the University of Delaware in 1996. She is an amazing person!

I hope that all is well with you and that you are having a great summer!! The summer has been very strange this year on the East Coast (very cool and rainy - Not Fun!). Even with all of the cool weather this year, summer is still my favorite season of all!

Keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. What a great photo of you!

Rosser Ruth! lol said...

Where are you? We're missing you :(

Ross fan said...

Hi Chudney
When is your Mom going to speak publicly or go on Larry King to talk about her life with Michael Jackson? We need her to come out from seclusion.