Wednesday, January 28, 2009

RED CARPET READY

Often, I get emails (and Myspace messages) asking for fashion advice. “What should I wear to the prom?” an email from Nicolette asked recently. “I’m going to my best friend’s wedding and it’s black tie. What kind of dress should I wear?” a woman named Toni asked a while back.

I think I have pretty good fashion advice to give. I mean, growing up the daughter of a FASHION ICON, one can’t help but be drawn to that world.

I may have been awkward and shy growing up (I hid behind my tortoise rimmed glasses, frizzy braids, baggy clothes and sneakers), but when no one was around my inner FASHION DIVA emerged.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more confident and embraced the FASHIONISTA within. With modeling, I found a way to let her shine. I set her free while posing and strutting my stuff on the runway in different designers’ fashions. I love a good party and I revel in the any occasion to get dressed up in that perfect outfit and show it off.

Right now, we are smack dab in the middle of Awards Season, so what better time to dole out some fashion advice. You know when you watch the Oscars, Golden Globes, etc, you’re only half watching to see who gets which award. Mostly your eyes are glue to the TV to see who looks great on the red carpet.

Here are some tips so you too can embrace your inner FASHION DIVA at your next party or event. It may not be the red carpet at the Oscars, but still…

The dress:
Yes, we all covet a celebrity stylist to hand pick us a one-of-kind, haute couture gown, but if you don’t have one (and I definitely do not), don’t fret. It’s really not about the dress at all. It’s about feeling comfortable, confident and sexy in what you are wearing. The trick is to choose a gown that flaunts your best assets. I have no boobs and my stomach isn’t washboard flat, but I have gams that are fit, toned and go for miles. I work my legs and wear a micro mini for all red carpet affairs.

The accessories:
It’s not about who has the biggest bauble (although a HUGE diamond equipped with its own bodyguard would be nice). My tip is to keep the jewels simple and classic. Don’t forget an amazing pair of shoes (Jimmy, Christian, Manolo… just make sure they’re FABULOUS) And finally, don’t forget a little clutch too to hold the essentials (lip gloss, cell and keys)!

Grooming:
Good grooming is ALWAYS important. No one takes a stinky person seriously, so soak in a bath. Afterwards head to your local salon for a mani/pedi, wax, and tan if you’re so inclined.

Make up and hair can make or break a red carpet look. My tip is: Don’t over do it! Fresh faced, bronzed beauties get the most attention on the red carpet. I do love a killer smoky eye though, so if you cake on the eye shadow and mascara, try a simple lip-gloss. Red lips are also very retro and hip right now. If you slather on the red, stay soft with the rest of your face.

I prefer long and flowy locks (I wish my hair was longer and flowier), but for some people a killer updo really accentuates the neck and chest, which can be very sexy.

Now that you have the perfect dress, accessories and your face and body are looking hot, take a moment to catch your breath. Hold your head high, shoulders back and let your inner FASHION DIVA shine. This is your moment! Confidence is sexy, alluring and POWERFUL.

Strut your stuff on the red carpet and remember to give the photogs what they want: A KILLER POSE! Look gracious, tilt your chin, put one hand on your hip, maybe a glance over the shoulder and remember to flash a big smile! You’re a star! (Don’t go overboard though! This isn’t a Vogue photo shoot)!

Fashion is FABULOUS, fun and about feeling good. It’s time to be glamorous people… It’s time to be red carpet ready!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gene S. said...

Hi Chudney,
I notice something that in years past, celebrities during the awards, wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same designer gown as another woman. So what gives? I saw on people magazine online, photos of various celebrities attending awards events, walking the red carpet, wearing the same gowns, worn by another. Are attending different events and perhaps in a different color acceptable now? I always thought it's a big no no, at certain high profile event such as awards ceremony, that designers would make sure no one eles is wearing the same gown deliberately. Didn't they used to wait at less until after all the awards to sell others? I don't think showing up wearing the same gown as another is FABULOUS! I'll looking fowards to seeing your drop dead gorgeous pictures online. I'll, with your consent, post them on my myspace page like a proud papa. lol ha ha ha!
Bis spaeter Liebling, Gene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.