Wednesday, December 17, 2008

HOLIDAY MOVIES


I don’t like holiday music! I know that sounds a bit BAH HUMBUG! or whatever, but I just can’t stand them. Stores, coffee shops, radio stations, EVERYWHERE start playing Christmas carols the day after Thanksgiving and it’s too early! They start sounding like nails on a chalkboard by mid-December (right when you are supposed to be getting in the holiday spirit). I think holiday music should be banned except for at holiday parties or on Christmas day.

I do however love HOLIDAY MOVIES. They get me into the spirit and make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Here are my top 5 holiday film favorites:

A CHRISTMAS STORY
This film has become a yearly requirement to ringing in the Yuletide. The story follows Ralphie as he dreams and schemes of getting a Red Ryder air rifle for Christmas and his slightly dysfunctional family's journey through the holidays. It also features some of the most memorable holiday moments caught on film (like a frozen pole and a tongue), as well as some unforgettable quotes ("You'll shoot your eye out kid!"). A Christmas Story is endearing and wickedly funny.

ELF
This HOLIDAY MOVIE is hysterical. The film follows Buddy (played by Will Ferrell), a man who was raised by Santa's elves. He one day discovers he's a human and goes in search of his father in New York. BOY, is he lost in the big city! This totally silly, feel-good movie had me laughing out loud from start to finish.

DR. SUESS’ HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS
I love all of Dr. Suess’ books, so to see this classic come to life on the screen was spectacular. This film is funny and touching as well as visually stimulating for children and adults alike. Watch for my favorite scene where the Grinch's heart grows and Christmas spirit is triumphant.

LOVE ACTUALLY
Love Actually is a heart-warming new holiday classic. For those of us who are single during the holidays this movie can at times be heart-breaking (I cried like a baby though the majority of it), but its touching and a great holiday film that weaves different story lines of finding love and loosing love together into a beautiful bow.

BAD SANTA
This film cracks me up! Bad Santa makes fun of all the hoopla about the holiday season. It’s the perfect holiday alternative to all the feel good stuff. It’s vulgar and it’s crude, but it’s funny as hell.

Honorable mentions go to:
IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE
This film is replayed so many times on TV during the holiday season, it’s almost impossible to not have watched it a million times. Eventually, it has found a special place in my heart. It tells the story of businessman George Bailey who's so depressed on Christmas Eve that he's thinking of ending his life. Bailey is stopped by an angel who shows him a vision of what the world would be like if he had never been born. It's a Wonderful Life is a life affirming, touching film classic.

A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS
This is one of my favorite Peanuts’ specials. Each year, I am stoked to celebrate Christmas with the Peanuts kids as they learn the true meaning of the holiday while standing around Charlie Brown's tiny tree.

Pop some popcorn, snuggle in your footy pajamas and watch these classics to get you in the holiday spirit.

HOLIDAY MOVIES are FABULOUS!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosser Ruth! lol said...

What about "Christmas With The Kranks"? Soo funny! Ditto to your blog on the music...I love my choice around the house on my own schedule, but if I hear Michael telling me he saw Santa kissing mommy under the mistletoe one more time! ARGGG! (lol)

Oh...also...have you seen "The Family Stone"?

And this will make you laugh...Sarah mentioned "Magic On 54th Street" the other day...ha ha ha...I asked if she meant "Miracle On 34th Street"...lol (Sorry hun...love you lots tho'!)

Chudney, have a great Christmas...and thanks for all the FABULOUS blogs ;)

Love Ruth xxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xcentric Pryncess said...

Christmas music is annoying-but I love it! And how could you forget Home Alone!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.